Anyone Know About E-Check With Diesels?

wantahertzdonut

I'm looking at a 1997 F350 with a diesel. It has an aftermarket exhaust and no catalytic convertor. I'm not sure if that will pass the visual inspection at the E-Check station however. I'm trying to determine if the truck was originally equipped with one but have been having a hard time confirming.

The engine has a sticker that states the emissions control system includes "ECM, TC, DI, OC". I think "OC" means "oxygen catalyst" but not positive. If so, does that mean this truck was equipped with a catalytic convertor and I would need to install one if I buy the truck to pass E-Check?

Would a Ford dealer be able to confirm this?

I do not believe it had a cat on it. With the waste from burning diesel the particulate matter would clog a cat. I do know it probably had a resonator on it before the muffler which some think is a cat. The ford dealer will be able to confirm or deny. I'm a Cummins guy and they didn't start with a catalyst til 07 with the dpf filter

To my understanding there is no more Echeck in ohio unless you live in Cleveland where the last echeck station is

Eh, wrong! :D

They're still active in the same seven counties including Summit where I live.

I'll have to get my '09 Ram Hemi tested this September. :cry:

Surprisingly, my FSB passed with flying colors last year with the original emissions controls and cat from 1990.

It looks as though it did have a catalyst, not 100% confirmed though.

From a Ford Trucks forum:

OC = Oxydizing Catalyst (Catalytic converter that controls CO and HC does not control NOX)

The catalyst on the newer trucks other than the particulate filter, is a NOx catalyst.

Eh, wrong! :D

They're still active in the same seven counties including Summit where I live.

I'll have to get my '09 Ram Hemi tested this September. :cry:

Surprisingly, my FSB passed with flying colors last year with the original emissions controls and cat from 1990.

well, you learn something new everyday. The echeck place around here, Dayton closed down back 3-4 years ago, even my wife said they stopped requiring people to fill out the echeck paper work for a license renewal at the BMV when she was working there

I do not believe it had a cat on it. With the waste from burning diesel the particulate matter would clog a cat. I do know it probably had a resonator on it before the muffler which some think is a cat. The ford dealer will be able to confirm or deny. I'm a Cummins guy and they didn't start with a catalyst til 07 with the dpf filter

Cummins trucks had cats before the 6.7l

And a 97 never came with one.

And for being in an e-check county :dumb:

My 99 24 valve only had a resonator on it not a cat and our farm truck which is an 03 CR didn't have one either bought new from a dealer and have fun with echeck mine won't pass cause of the setup I'm running