A Trip To Duluth

dustinsn3485

I made a trip up to Duluth for the Aerostitch VBR3. I don't do very well at writing up trip reviews, but thought I'd just post up a couple pics. It's really pretty country up there, not a lot of traffic. There wasn't much in the way of twisty roads either. We took the long way up passing through Dubuque, IA and then back across the Mississippi at Prairie du Chien, WI. We made a day trip from Duluth, MN up to the "top of the world" Ely, MN. A neat little town in the middle of all the 10,000 lakes. I got stung by a hornet or wasp I guess while going about 65. That sucked. On the return trip I did a straight shot home from Duluth back to Ohio. It ended up being 812 miles in a little under 13 hours. My total trip was 1960 miles in 5 days.

I trailered up from Nashville to my dads in Ohio and we left from his house. I started on my harbor freight build a couple months ago and managed to get it finished up for my trip. 

Packed up and ready to drive

IMAG0195_zpscc2e7d40.jpg

Leaving the hotel our first night, heading to IA and parallel to the Mississippi river

IMAG0200_zps8682c776.jpg

This is in Prairie du Chien.

IMAG0203_zps4e38ab9d.jpg

IMAG0208_zpsee529c20.jpg

We stayed at the Spirit Mountain ski resort in Duluth for the rally.

IMAG0214_zps9fa1a8fa.jpg

IMAG0211_zps34a7f146.jpg

This is on the North Shore of Lake Superior on our ride up to Ely.

IMAG0219_zpsda4623e1.jpg

And finally, getting up to leave camp we had a pretty awesome view of the sunrise.

IMAG0226_zps977c9798.jpg

Looks pretty good on that bike, honestly. I don't go for the huge touring style screens, but it isn't offensive in the pics. How wierd is it to ride looking through the shield, versus over one?

It is 3 position adjustable and in the picture is in the full up position. Actually even at that height I'm looking over the top of it. I generally am not a huge fan of big windscreens, but the difference it has made with wind draft at highway speeds is pretty incredible. When it's laid back in the lowest position it doesn't look as large.

• Upvote 1

Nice. I'm on my 3rd screen for the 'Strada. I can't find one that eliminates helmet buffeting. Shit's irritating as hell.

I generally don't like recommending things because ymmv, but national cycle has a pretty good shield there. I get some wind noise still, but no buffeting. I would like to add a little lip to the top of my screen to throw what little wind noise is still there up and over my helmet.