1911's only, no polymer, nothing but 1911's

madcat6183

Just don't get the whole 1911 thing, don't get it at all.

That's the fun of livin in Merica.  You get to choose what suits you best.  I like my handguns designed 100+ years ago and made from steel and wood.  Lots of people like their handguns designed within the last decade and want them made of aluminum and plastic.  To each their own and :monkeypoo:  if you don't like my choices.  :crazy:   Just busting on you though.  I have 4 handguns designed at least 100 years ago and 4 designed since the 1940's.  The sad part is that I do shoot the older guns better than the newer ones and it's not for a lack of practice.  As for the 1911 itself, I bought it originally because it is a representation of the history of our country.  I had never shot one before and I purchased it solely on the fact that it was an iconic firearm.  Now that I have owned this one for the last 15 years I can't see giving it up.  I have owned a Beretta 92, a Springfield xdm, and sold both of them because for one reason or another they didn't suit me or my shooting style.  They are not bad guns and felt good in the hand while at the store but just like the Glocks and every manor of major manufacturers handguns I have fired over the years, I come back to the simple and reliable action of my 1911 when it come down to putting rounds on target. 

When I said in my previous post that the gun is reliable I meant it.  Now this can't be said for all 1911 handguns but I have been blessed by owning one that was put together by the right person under a perfect moon with a small dash of pure freaking magic thrown in for good measure.  In 30k some odd rounds of ammo I may have had maybe 5 malfunctions with this gun.  They have been so few and far between that my malfunction clearing drills are VERY lacking.  I had one occurrence earlier in the spring with one of my reloads that was a squib load, left the bullet about an inch short of getting out of the barrel so you can't blame the pistol for that one.  Other than that, the last true malfunction of any sort has been around 7 years ago.  I was helping a buddy with his Kimber 1911 and we determined it was magazine issues.  The mags that came with his gun caused both our guns to have feed problems.

The Remington R1 continues to get great reviews from Gun Tests (really the only print source in which I have reasonable trust). I bought one brand new last spring and was really disappointed in the loose fit. The trigger was sloppy, the slide was loose, really felt cheap. I sold it before I ever shot it. But as I mentioned, the reviews have rated it a top notch bargain 1911.

The Remington R1 continues to get great reviews from Gun Tests (really the only print source in which I have reasonable trust). I bought one brand new last spring and was really disappointed in the loose fit. The trigger was sloppy, the slide was loose, really felt cheap. I sold it before I ever shot it. But as I mentioned, the reviews have rated it a top notch bargain 1911.

I have found reviews are like buttholes, everyone has one.  Similar to yesterday I was reading a mag in Cabelas and the gun reviewers were RAVING over Taurus, I mean drooling over them.  Talked to a guy behind the counter at Vances when I was looking at my LCP380 and he was like yeah, if you want to trust your life to something like a Taurus, just buy another Hi-Point or plan to send it back.  Then another guy behind the counter said he sold tons of Taurus guns and had NEVER sent one back in however many years he worked there.

If I was ready to buy today I'd snatch that Ruger up.

Can someone outline the steps to acquire an out of state gun or one online?  I know I need a LOCAL OH FFL, but do I go to them FIRST, or buy the gun FIRST?  ETc?  Thanks!

I have found reviews are like buttholes, everyone has one.  Similar to yesterday I was reading a mag in Cabelas and the gun reviewers were RAVING over Taurus, I mean drooling over them.  Talked to a guy behind the counter at Vances when I was looking at my LCP380 and he was like yeah, if you want to trust your life to something like a Taurus, just buy another Hi-Point or plan to send it back.  Then another guy behind the counter said he sold tons of Taurus guns and had NEVER sent one back in however many years he worked there.

If I was ready to buy today I'd snatch that Ruger up.

Can someone outline the steps to acquire an out of state gun or one online?  I know I need a LOCAL OH FFL, but do I go to them FIRST, or buy the gun FIRST?  ETc?  Thanks!

Yeah Vances is real helpful aren't they "sarcasm"? Taurus makes great pistols, don't let others discourage you from getting one. 

Yeah Vances is real helpful aren't they "sarcasm"? Taurus makes great pistols, don't let others discourage you from getting one. 

No, I won't buy from them ever again.  I use their flyer to get price matched at Gander or Cabelas.  I wont bore everyone again with details but my last experience there was so bad I vowed not to deal with them agian.  I know of a police department or 2 from back home that used to deal with them exclusively, won't step foot in there now either.  They go to Fin as it's way closer, but still said no one buys from Vance's anymore. 

For those that wonder... 1911s are like the AK47 of the pistol world. Dirt grime mud frozen they still work. Most of them solid steel and have a hefty amount of energy down range. Loose fit yes, very. Tighten them up and it's just another pistol.

New game! Beat this...

Shooters Arms Mfg .45 ACP Military Pistol $349.99

http://www.slickguns.com/product/shooters-arms-45-acp-425-or-5-barrel-399

Made in the Philippines but not by Amscor. Appears to be a Century Arms import.

Rough finish. Maybe forged instead of cast slide. Magazines supplied are inferior.

Forums have generally favorable reviews.

hrm, if I see one, I'll take it...

New game! Beat this...

Shooters Arms Mfg .45 ACP Military Pistol $349.99

http://www.slickguns.com/product/shooters-arms-45-acp-425-or-5-barrel-399

Made in the Philippines but not by Amscor. Appears to be a Century Arms import.

Rough finish. Maybe forged instead of cast slide. Magazines supplied are inferior.

Forums have generally favorable reviews.

hrm, if I see one, I'll take it...

Reviews say this is basically Rock Island 1911's under different name.  

So the plan was obviously to buy something super nice down the road, but after watching and reading reviews Im probably ordering one of these today to try out.  I had no idea about them but Im reading nothing bad at all, and for plinking and getting into the 1911's might be a starter.  Then ask for the Ruger for the holidays(can I say Christmas without people getting all hell bent?)

Edited by madcat6183

Llama's are popping up all over the FB group Im a member of, just hadn't heard of them. The shooters arms is interesting, super cheap, havent read reviews yet.

No doubt, soon as I posted that, I seen one on FB. It was kind of a joke. Llama's were cheap new and they have a bad reputation. Good luck in your search.

For those that wonder... 1911s are like the AK47 of the pistol world. Dirt grime mud frozen they still work. Most of them solid steel and have a hefty amount of energy down range. Loose fit yes, very. Tighten them up and it's just another pistol.

Hmmmm....I must be watching the wrong vids on youtube then. 1911's having very tight tolerances is a big reason why they are very accurate and a top choice for competitive shooting, of course correct me if I am wrong? And the Marines going to a 1911 IMHO makes no sense at all.......none. Yes the design is good and still relevant, but they are a mediocre combat pistol at best now. All my opinion of course, I am wrong as often as I am right.

Edited by Pokey

Hmmmm....I must be watching the wrong vids on youtube then. 1911's having very tight tolerances is a big reason why they are very accurate and a top choice for competitive shooting, of course correct me if I am wrong? And the Marines going to a 1911 IMHO makes no sense at all.......none. Yes the design is good and still relevant, but they are a mediocre combat pistol at best now. All my opinion of course, I am wrong as often as I am right.

You are correct, but different people have different needs. Loose fit is rather reliable, and quick and easy, and cheap to produce. The biggest attraction of a military 1911 is a 230 grain hardball moving at subsonic speeds with a suppressor. It's a good bit of work to tighten up a stock 1911 for competition.

What do ordinary citizens want? Probably a little of both worlds put together.

Edited by ReconRat
  • Upvote 1

You are correct, but different people have different needs. Loose fit is rather reliable, and quick and easy, and cheap to produce. The biggest attraction of a military 1911 is a 230 grain hardball moving at subsonic speeds with a suppressor. It's a good bit of work to tighten up a stock 1911 for competition.

What do ordinary citizens want? Probably a little of both worlds put together.

That sounds like Glock to a tee. :)

Actually looks like Sportsmen Den have the Ruger on sale 2 weeks from now for Fri-Sun only, for even less than KY.  Dads best friend works there and think I am going home that weekend to swap wheels/tires on my truck so probably just grab one then.

Looks nasty, just need to find one to fondle.

Colt 1927.

Its a Colt built 1911 that was made by Colt on contract for the Argentine army in what year? You guessed it, 1927. 10,000 were made and back in the 80's a bunch of them were shipped back to the US as surplus and sold to the public.

These can be had for a little less than what you'd pay for an R1, but I promise you that unlike an R1 it will never be worth less than the day you bought it.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=277652

i love my springfield mil-spec.  Had a RIA Tactical 2011 and shot both together at the range.  Springfield destroyed the RIA in every possible way.  Only about $130 more than the RIA, ofcourse doesn't have the cool features of Beavertail, skelotinized hammer/trigger, full-length guide rod, or the rail system. But it does come with a tight match package of stainless barrel and bushing. Shoots well and has no rattel unlike the rattley inconsistent RIA.

Gander must have a price mistake, Ruger 1911's 499, usually 539 per their flyer, but these are the Commander series and are 799 on their website.  Matching SKU numbers and everything.  I want to call before driving there to see if they will really accept their mistake because no way this gun is selling for 40% off right now, its in super high demand and going for asking price all day.  

If they say they will, really need to swing over and grab one.  Reviews are awesome and gun is so shiney and purdy, like Jbots mouth.