glock gen 4 rsa question

scottie.harris

Ok so i bought a g19 gen 4 a few weeks ago and have fired 90 rounds so far and had about 8 fail to ejects. Im fairly annoyed with my first glock, but i shoot excellent tight groups( better than any other handgun ive shot). It has the "fixed" rsa supposedly, but still jams.

Any idea of how to fix this? I have been thinking about buying a glockmeister stainless steel guide rod with a single spring instead of the double nested spring. If i do should i get a softer spring?

check the operator's manual for a specific type ammo. Many firearms are designed/tuned for a specific load.

And many firearms won't settle down until several hundred rounds are fired.

Or won't settle down till disassembled, cleaned, lubed, and reassembled.

And what type/manf/load is fired that fails?

Any 9mm better fire correctly with Winchester white box, or I'd be upset.

I know what you mean but i lock my wrists and almost always use both hands. i also had it fail to chamber another round so i thought maybe the recoil spring is to stiff.

i shot about 275 rounds thru my kahr .40 and never had a fail to eject. Are glocks in particular known to be unforgiving with limp wrist?

Glocks typically ingest and spit out whatever you feed them, I would bet you are limp wristing it a bit as well. Although I have a Gen III 19 that has never had a malfunction of any kind, so may not be a bad idea to contact Glock. 

I've got a G4 19, several hundred rounds of different stuff and never an issue.   Knock wood.   Try different ammo.  If you're at a range, they may be selling you reloads, which might cause issues (so I'm told.  Again, I've used them w/o any issues). 

Did you buy it new?  Also, does it do it with all of the magazines equally, or just one?

I hate reloads. Always problems. (My own reloads work perfect, that tells me something.) I ran across a Chuck Hawks article about ammo selection, usage and reliability. Worth showing. (Based upon the work of Massad Ayoob, Evan Marshall and Ed Sanow.)

http://www.chuckhawks.com/ammo_by_anonymous.htm

The short list for 9mm (HP carry cartridges, not target. For quality firearms made after 1985.):

Special (Listed as overall best):

Cor-Bon 9mm 115 grain +P Jacketed Hollowpoint.

Standard pressure:

Federal 115 grain JHP (9BP)

Winchester Silvertip 115 grain (X9MMSHP)

Federal 124 grain Hydra-shok (P9HS1)

Remington 115 grain JHP (R9MM1) (older guns)

High pressure:

Remington 115 grain +P JHP (R9MM6) (If jamming occurs with standard rounds.)

Avoid:

Federal Hydra-Shok 9mm 147 grain JHP (P9HS2)
Winchester 147 grain 9mm Silvertip Subsonic JHP (X9MMST147)
Winchester 147 grain 9mm Super-X Subsonic (XSUB9MM)
Remington 147 grain 9mm JHP (R9MM8)
Remington 147 grain 9mm Golden Saber JHP (GS9MMC)

Never carry:

Wolf, CDM - Mexico, military surplus

Edited by ReconRat

Truth About Guns article on G19 gen4 RSA says Glock will send you new RSA (Recoil Spring Assembly) for free.

Glock gen 4 Recoil Spring Replacement Program

It says for the ones sold before July 27, 2011 but maybe this is one by serial number. Call them and ask. It certainly might be one by the problem demonstrated.

...The new springs—called the “Recoil Spring Assembly (RSA)” in Glock spiel—was troublesome. At best. Owners reported Failure to Feed (FTF) and Failure to Eject (FTE) problems as soon as the first Gen4 G17s hit the market.

Users cured these FTF and FTE problems by installing a set of Gen3 springs with a little adapter. Glock moved quickly to head off a PR nightmare and offered replacement RSAs to its customers. In Glock-speak, this was called an “upgrade,” not a recall...

It also says the 12th, 13th and 14th rounds in the magazine did not feed very well. And was unable to load the 15th round.

edit: btw, magazines are notorious for feed problems. Would you say that all of your magazines had the same problem.

Edited by ReconRat

They are all brand new not reloads, i go to my parents house to shoot because they have a range set up so i know its not a range giving me reloads. As far as hollow points i only carry hornady, about to run my first box thru the glock to see how it feeds this weekend. I havent really paid attention to mags but i know it has jammed in at least two different ones.

im about to call glock in a few minutes but since i bought it brand new three weeks ago i doubt its one of the older springs.

Winchester White Box ammo is notorious for problems. And a weak grip.

Okay, maybe I'm just gullible, but is this "weak grip" thing for real, and if so: why?

Allowing the recoil to move your wrists affects the mechanics of the pistol?   i.e. the weak wrist absorbs to much of the recoil?

No questioning MT, but Winchester White Box has never given me a problem.