Weight loss/ lifting/ dieting thread

rawlins87

What do you think is the most helpful part? I was thinking about getting one of these, but wonder if it would help beyond what I'm doing already (tracking nutrition, exercise).

I noticed it tracks sleep. That's pretty cool.

It really works for me because it tracks things in the same orderly manor that my brain works. It keeps me honest. The sleep feature is really a non-issue for me as I usually type in a guesstimate each morning. The calorie feature keeps me from over-indulging, but also allows me to know when I can have a few extra beers or an ice cream treat. What really does it for me is the tracking of my steps and stairs each day. I travel so much that I was getting only 2000-3000 steps per day. Now, I never go to bed without at least 10,000 steps and 10 flights of stairs. I walk/jog/run every morning to get those steps in. I had a three hour layover in Baltimore on Monday....got 12,000 steps walking the terminal while attending conference calls. I can be a bit obsessive, and this fits me quite well. Next step for me is to build more muscle-mass.

• Upvote 1

I will toss in my results to join in on the fun. I'm down 5 lbs, 7% body fat, and 4"off of my waist since the beginning of December. Shooting for another 3-4% body fat and add some muscle. 

I can vouch for Craig, saw him this weekend, definitely looking more fit.  He said he stopped working the corner and giving out freebies so much.

But yeah, he's doing it right, eating healthy, working out, a true lifestyle change, not just jumping on the new years band wagon, just to fall off a few months later.

We've lost probably 30% of the members who joined the PF I go to at lunch already from the new years jump. 

I have been going to the gym 5 days a week for the past month and a half. I am staying around the same weight "190" but have lost a few inches. I had made fun of my wife for going to these classes twice a week, a butts n guts class on Tuesdays and a boot camp on Thursdays which is circuit training. I started attending last week and holy cow what a work out, planks, wall sits 200 squats all in 40 minutes and thats just the Tuesday class.

I can vouch for Craig, saw him this weekend, definitely looking more fit.  He said he stopped working the corner and giving out freebies so much.

But yeah, he's doing it right, eating healthy, working out, a true lifestyle change, not just jumping on the new years band wagon, just to fall off a few months later.

We've lost probably 30% of the members who joined the PF I go to at lunch already from the new years jump. 

I hate the fad shit that claims to drop weight even though you know damn well it was from the eating right and exercise. I don't know how people believe it was the crap they were taking.

• Upvote 1

I'm not having a problem sticking with it so far, my food choices are getting a bit monotonous tho, getting tired of salads and subway...but not turkey burgers yet. I'm on 2200 calories a day so I get some wiggle room if I want a wendys chicken sandwich or something like that but mostly healthy stuff. I feel much better tho, more energy for sure and I've lost some weight but it's starting to plateau.

I will be honest, I eat zero salad. Chicken, steak, pork, rice, protein pasta (yellow box don't remember the name), broccoli, cauliflower, squash, and zucchini are my typicals. I just make sure I make all of my lunches for the week on sunday and toss them in the freezer minus the one I will eat on monday. This makes it less tempting to eat crap.

Edited by blue03636

I have circuit training tonight so we will be doing all sorts of different stuff. Alot of jump rope, throwing sand bags, carrying sand bags down stairs and then back up again. do all sorts of different things for 30 seconds then go to the next station.

I will be honest, I eat zero salad. Chicken, steak, pork, rice, protein pasta (yellow box don't remember the name), broccoli, cauliflower, squash, and zucchini are my typicals. I just make sure I make all of my lunches for the week on sunday and toss them in the freezer minus the one I will eat on monday. This makes it less tempting to eat crap.

Meal prepping is time consuming but worth it.

Per Day:

16-20oz of chicken

4 scoops protein powder

Pop tarts

1-3 bananas depending on carb cycling day

1-2 rice cakes depending on carb cycling day

8 Tbs peanut butter

Soup, rice or some other carb (30g) for dinner.

Depending on the day 2700-3200+ calories. 270 protein, 84-90g fat, 170-300g carbs

Meal prepping is time consuming but worth it.

Per Day:

16-20oz of chicken

4 scoops protein powder

Pop tarts

1-3 bananas depending on carb cycling day

1-2 rice cakes depending on carb cycling day

8 Tbs peanut butter

Soup, rice or some other carb (30g) for dinner.

Depending on the day 2700-3200+ calories. 270 protein, 84-90g fat, 170-300g carbs

Man you have this shit nailed down.

Day before yesterday was chest-biceps...

3x12 pec. fly @ 130

3x10 pec fly @ 160

3x10 bench @ 130

2x7 bench @ 150 -- was trending towards failure at this point so I cut the sets short.

3x8 curls @ 75lbs.... stupid girly-arms....

Tonight will be back-tris...

probably 6x15 @ 130 row

6x12 @ 130 lat pulldowns

6x10 @ 110 tricep pulldowns

And 3 miles on the bike... at least.

And tomorrow is Leg Day! Wherein I forget that it's leg day and do more bike after legs, and am crippled until sometime late Sunday afternoon.

Need to cut like a hundred pounds so... yeah... going to be doing this for a while.

Food today is a spinach salad with 4 oz of chicken breast, crumbled bacon, cukes, red onion and O+V for lunch, will probably have a can of soup for dinner after the workout. Total caloric intake of ~1000-1200 cals on the day (haven't managed to get the calorie count from my local spot for the dressing on the salad).

I'm not having a problem sticking with it so far, my food choices are getting a bit monotonous tho, getting tired of salads and subway...but not turkey burgers yet. I'm on 2200 calories a day so I get some wiggle room if I want a wendys chicken sandwich or something like that but mostly healthy stuff. I feel much better tho, more energy for sure and I've lost some weight but it's starting to plateau.

THe last statement is so key.  It's NOT just about weight loss, sure that is what peoples "goals" are, but if you are feeling better, have more energy, and lost even a few lbs, then that is winning for sure.  Too many people use the scale to measure how they are doing, but only measures weight, nothing internally.  Muscle weighs more than fat, most people gain weight if they truly are using weight training, eating, and cardio when going from noting, unless the workouts are strictly geared to losing weight i.e. not using heavy resistance.

I love these threads because everyone can easily exchange info, recipies, etc.

For me, I make a pasta mix which is uber cheap and rarely get tired of it.  Kroger even has whole wheat pasta, 2x fiber pasta, or veggie pasta on sale right now buy 6 and they areo nly 69cents each.  Obviously pasta is good forever, so I will be stocking up.

I buy the cheapest canned pasta sauce, a box of noodles listed above, and 1lb 90/10, or 93/7 ground beef, maybe add some veggies in sauce, and seasoning, and then crush it after my workouts for lunch.  I figured that even with paying full price at Kroger for the beef its less than 2.00 a meal for 3-4 meals depending, or 6-8bucks total.  If I go to Costco and get their beefi ts 1.50 a meal and healthy.

Then toss in frozen veggies steamed in the microwave, done and done.  Easy, cheap, and quick.  Oh and get a rice cooker people, as Craig when I made him get one how easy it makes life.  Cook all your rice, brown, white, long grain, whatever, in it without doing anything, for a full week +.

• Upvote 1

I'm a little jealous of your 2200 calories a day.

I got the diabeetus so I really can't eat much more than 150-200 grams of carbs a day...really limits your diet . My goal is to lose some weight, or at least to lose some inches off my gut but it's also to ensure my heart doesn't crap out on me in 25 years. I want to be an old ass man still on a motorcycle one day.

I got the diabeetus so I really can't eat much more than 150-200 grams of carbs a day...really limits your diet . My goal is to lose some weight, or at least to lose some inches off my gut but it's also to ensure my heart doesn't crap out on me in 25 years. I want to be an old ass man still on a motorcycle one day.

What on earth do you eat at subway then? You are killing your carbs for the day there.

Lifting during a weight cut is about the most soul - crushing thing for me. Any progress adding weight to the bar immediately halts. Then you start missing reps. Then the slow but steady decline of months and years worth of labor under the bar.

Emotionally painful, but a 38" waist is not how I want to ring in my thirties.

Tonight's workout: (once off work)

Squats 5x5 315 with 130lbs of band

Front squat

Leg press

30" box jumps from 3-4' away

Tonight's workout went better than expected.

Squats did 4 sets of 5 @315 then the final (5th) set did 9 reps leaving some in the tank.

My problem has been I got into a bad habit of only box squatting and while my best box squat was 545 my best free squat was only 335. Tonight after some long time away I box squatted. 315 flew up like nothing was there, 365 same scenario, and 405 the same. All single reps.

Front squat was substituted for leg press

Leg press was substituted for lunges

Box jumps:

3 sets of 5 @ 30" height jumping from ~3' away

2 sets of 5 @ 30" height jumping from ~1' away with 20lb kettle bell

1 set of 5 @ 30" height jumping from ~1' away with 30lb dumbbell.

I think next week ill shoot for sets of 325 on squat and box jumps with 45-50lbs