Weight loss/ lifting/ dieting thread

rawlins87

• 2 months later...
10 hours ago, Wojo72 said:

Good job Joe!  I need to get back on a wagon but no.....I just ate a fucking ice cream cone.

For some reason that really made me laugh.:lol:

10 hours ago, Hellmutt said:

Congrats....now quit mailing it to me. :D

I've plateaued weeks ago, and this heat really kills my extra curricular motivation

I had plateaued for about 3 weeks even though I hadn't changed what I was doing. I cut out drinking artificially sweetened drinks except for maybe one a day with a meal earlier in the day (usually lunch). I found that if I drank one without a meal, it aroused my appetite. This is something the "experts" have been saying for a while but I didn't really believe. Now I totally believe it because I noticed a big difference in my appetite. I cut out snacks because I really wasn't hungry between meals anymore as a result. I usually drink unsweetened tea now.

10 hours ago, 2talltim said:

Still only down 40 lbs, need to start hitting it harder. Wife is having her surgery Friday, so that might give me some motivation.

You go Tim! I had surgery 2 weeks ago on my leg. I spent a lot of time with my leg elevated/iced and I was worried that I might gain some back because I was so inactive. I really made sure I ate super clean and stuck to my calorie ceiling and I ended losing a few pounds. In fact, I had been pretty consistent about my weight training 3 days a weeks for several months and I think the 1.5 weeks off really gave my body a chance to reset. I think I'm going to take at least 1 week off from lifting and cardio (outside of long walks) once a quarter from now on.

Somehow becoming a Dad has helped me. I dropped 8 lbs in the first 2 weeks they were born. I put back 3 of those the next 2 weeks then I got it together again to get back down 10lbs since June 22nd. All with out any real exercise other than playing softball a couple times a week so hopefully increased exercise will happen here soon and I can get down another 10. That would be put under 250 for the first time in a few years which is goal #1.

Edited by Bad324
  • Upvote 2

Changing things up a little for the diet and see if I can get off this plateau. This will be my breakfast, lunch and snack for the next couple weeks. In all there is 20 oz. Of vanilla almond milk, 2 scoops of vanilla creme protien isolate powder, 1/2 cup of oats, 6 teaspoons of fiber powder, 1/2 cup of shelled pistachios, and 2 small boxes of raisins(that will be switched to prunes but I forgot to buy them this week). Total calorie count on that counter 825, with almost no carbs or fat and all protien and fiber. We will see what happens.
49291fdd2ea27291eefc862f895dca0f.jpg

• Upvote 2

I've gotten back into a bad cycle of working out less and boozing more.  I also had a coworker come back from his honeymoon and decide "I'm not dieting anymore - you wanna go out to lunch EVERY DAY?"  ...not that it took much arm-twisting.

So about a month into that cycle, I also got poison ivy, and was out of the gym for about a month.  Bad combination.

Coworker (who has gained about 30 lbs. back since his wedding) comments to me 2 weeks ago, "how have I gained all my weight back, and you're still skinny?"  I finally got back to the gym last week.  I'm up 16 lbs.

Trying to get back into the workout routine, but also start pulling my kid in the bicycle trailer more often.  Pokemon Go has actually facilitated that quite nicely.    We went for a 'real' bike ride last night for over an hour.  Living at the top of a hill is great for flooding, but it makes cycling a bit less enjoyable :p    I'm also trying to cut down on the weekday drinking.  We'll see how this goes.

• 1 month later...

The protein thing didn't really work like I hoped, lost a few pounds but not many. This week I'm, determined to break the under 250 barrier. So cutting the calories to the extreme and kicking the cardio up 2 notches. So for the next week or two ill be shooting for between 1200-1500 calories a day and try to do at least a hour of cardio a day(be mostly on my recumbent bike) So that will be 6.5 lbs in a week. Not sure if it will work but I need to get over this hump.

• Upvote 1

Tim...don't drop your calories too low, it can be counterproductive - especially if you are exercising hard.

Go to a nutritionist or other and have them measure your resting metabolic rate (RMR). This is what your body will burn every day if you just laid there inactive all day (it's not a perfect measurement but close). It cost me ~$80 at my gym and I think it was $10 more for non-members. Use that for a guideline for calorie intake. Mine was ~2300 so I eat between 2000-2300 which is actually pretty easy to do and stay full if you eat the right things. I normally burn 3000+ calories a day if you factor in exercise/activity depending on how active I've been. That means every day I have caloric deficit of AT LEAST 700-1000 calories day - one pound of fat is 3500 calories so 2lbs a weeks is a very realistic.

I'm down over 85 lbs now since mid-Feb. I have 50 more I'd like to lose.

Forget the long cardio all time. Do it once a week if you feel like it. Instead, mix in some intervals and weight training. I only do a little cardio, simply for cardio health and not weight loss. Most of that is in the form of intervals so my workout lasts 20 minutes whereas I see people on cardio equipment for hours at a time and probably aren't getting the same benefit.

I also lift a lot of weights, about 4 days a week. This has been my primary form of exercise and not only does it burn a lot of calories during AND after the workout, but it adds muscle which kicks up your metabolism. Muscle up!

Diet is 80% of it though. Just stay at or below your RMR and you will lose weight and it almost doesn't matter what you eat (I avoid simple sugars). I've been eating Chipotle probably 5 times a week for the last 3 months (I get a chicken burrito bowl, brown rice, cheese, hot salsa, no guac) and I'm still dropping weight. Actually, Chipotle is a great after workout meai - contains a good mix of carbs and proteing. Just stay away from the wrap - it's 300 calories by itself.

• Upvote 3

Except for days I slip (maybe one a week). I've been doing 2000 calorie days for the last 2 months. And with my job I know I burn way more than that. My schedule has been pretty f'd up the last month so that's some to do with it. This calorie drop will just be for this week till I'm under 250.

• Upvote 1

Plus I should add I know I'm still loosing fat. Because my cloths are getting too big, just notched my belt again(like the 4 time in 9 months. I think the protein regime I was doing built up some lean muscle is why I'm not seeing it on the scale.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, can't always go by the scale. I'm due for a whole new wardrobe soon though I'm about to spend 2 weeks in the Caymans, 10 of which will be aboard a live aboard dive boat. So, I'm captive to the food they serve and while it's generally healthy, I'm a picky eater so I end up eating a lot of one thing that may or may not be so good for me. Diving (like swimming) makes you hungry and they are always putting out snacks (cookies, etc) between dives. Gonna be tough to just maintain my current weight on the trip but I'm not going to stress over it.

First world problems, I know.

This is my good old trusty work belt I've worn this thing for prob 18 years. The 2 center holes is where I worn it for most of those years. Im down to the last holes and this week I had to poke the latest hole in it. Time before last I had to cut 6 in off the end of it because it wrapped around past my hips. So yes I'm seeing it in the mirror just not on the scale.

20160920_101752.jpg

Edited by 2talltim
  • Upvote 2

When I dropped weight, I was consistently loosing 1.5 to 2 lbs per week.

I made sure not to starve myself, because I knew that wouldn't last too long.

I ate a lot of high protein, low calorie foods that were also filling.  I made a big effort to add as few calories as possible when cooking (baking instead of frying...spices instead of dressing, butter, or oil).  It worked for me.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

When I dropped weight, I was consistently loosing 1.5 to 2 lbs per week.

I made sure not to starve myself, because I knew that wouldn't last too long.

I ate a lot of high protein, low calorie foods that were also filling.  I made a big effort to add as few calories as possible when cooking (baking instead of frying...spices instead of dressing, butter, or oil).  It worked for me.

Pretty much what I'm doing too. I just want a little booster week so to speak to make up for the last few weeks of BS I've been eating on and off. 

Edited by 2talltim
  • Upvote 1

I've switched gears recently to a bulking diet to put on some more muscle. Going to keep it up until November then switch to a cutting diet and begin the rotation as needed.

Heavy lifting 4-5 days out of the week with some cardio on the rest days while taking in around 4300 calories comprised of mostly protein and carbs with low fat. 

36 minutes ago, ScubaCinci said:

I've also been putting Chipotle flavored Tobasco on about everything these days...spicy stuff is supposed to rev up the metabolism too so might as well. It tastes good!

Creole, Blacken and Fajita seasonings and chilli powder have been my gotos.. I agree lots of flavors make meals more fulfilling. I make a mean rotisserie chicken with chili powder and olive oil.

Edited by 2talltim
  • Upvote 1