Weight loss/ lifting/ dieting thread

rawlins87

11 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

Creole, Blacken and Fajita seasonings and chilli powder have been my gotos.. I agree lots of flavors make meals more fulfilling. I make a mean rotisserie chicken with chili powder and olive oil.

Dude, you're making me hungry with that shit

1 minute ago, Tpoppa said:

For snacks, I usually do 100 cal packs of microwave popcorn, sugar free popsicles, or pickles.   

Yeah we keep a supply of pickles and sugar free popsicles on hand as well also those sugar-free Jell-O cups are real Handy

• Upvote 1

Sunflower seeds in the shells are nice snacks because it takes forever to eat a lot of them and it takes the edge of hunger between meals. Pistachios are the same way though you can do some calorie damage with those if not careful.

I also like the Dannon Lite n Fit yogurt - only 70 calories per container (sold in 4-packs). Great for after workouts with a piece of fruit.

I honestly don't snack much anymore. I keep some seeds at my desk at work for those times I need a little something and that's it. We don't keep chips, cookies or stuff like that in house.

The one thing I crave on a regular basis - PIZZA (drool). It's my kryptonite.

Found a new great snack or meal idea this weekend. We bought some "Flatout light" flatbread, and made pizza with it. Used a organic sauce, turkey peperoni and low fat mozzarella cheese and baked in on our toaster oven on a pan and it cam out wonderful. Total calories is right around 275 and its a decent size pizza (10"x6") and very inexpensive. Ill click a photo the next time I make it.

0068833992319_500X500.jpg

Edited by 2talltim
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, 2talltim said:

Found a new great snack or meal idea this weekend. We bought some "Flatout light" flatbread, and made pizza with it. Used a organic sauce, turkey peperoni and low fat mozzarella cheese and baked in on our toaster oven on a pan and it cam out wonderful. Total calories is right around 275 and its a decent size pizza (10"x6") and very inexpensive. Ill click a photo the next time I make it.

0068833992319_500X500.jpg

Made one when I got home, damn they are good, added some peppers this time. 275 calories of goodness right there.

20160926_155215.jpg

• Upvote 4

Made some whole chicken wings in the toaster over tonight. Seasoned with nothing but salt, pepper and chili powder and olive oil as a carrier. Around 110 calories apiece I had 3 of them and some smoked spinach for dinner. Total dinner calories around 400. 

DELICIOUS!!!

20160926_182747.jpg

Edited by 2talltim
  • Upvote 1

stalled out at 290 for the last few months, though with all the travel and having to eat out it could have been worse. this week started back on salads for lunch and dinner with a bit of protein mixed in. sticking around 1000-1500 calories per day this week to shock my body into loss. will probably keep this up for 10-15lbs then level off for a week or two then back on the 1000-1500 calorie burn again. aiming for 250 by february which is about 10lbs per month. i'd like to be around 230/240 by next spring which is where my losses will stop. i might be able to hit 210/220 but i would be pretty cut at that point and i'm not sure i have the dedication to spend that much time in the gym :p

still have lost over 100lbs and kept it off for 2 years now so i'm not too bummed about my current situation. long haul, not the short road. 

Edited by what
  • Upvote 2

12 hours ago, what said:

stalled out at 290 for the last few months, though with all the travel and having to eat out it could have been worse. this week started back on salads for lunch and dinner with a bit of protein mixed in. sticking around 1000-1500 calories per day this week to shock my body into loss. will probably keep this up for 10-15lbs then level off for a week or two then back on the 1000-1500 calorie burn again. aiming for 250 by february which is about 10lbs per month. i'd like to be around 230/240 by next spring which is where my losses will stop. i might be able to hit 210/220 but i would be pretty cut at that point and i'm not sure i have the dedication to spend that much time in the gym :p

still have lost over 100lbs and kept it off for 2 years now so i'm not too bummed about my current situation. long haul, not the short road. 

That's awesome man!!!! My wife is creeping up on the 80l lose mark and I know she will more that excited when she gets to the 100 lb. bench mark. Between the two of us we have lost the weight of our oldest 17 yr old child. When we both loose 20 more we want to make up some before and after pictures its going to be so drastic.

• Upvote 3

On 9/26/2016 at 7:12 AM, 2talltim said:

Well I did it, got that 250lb monkey off my back. Lost 7 pounds this last week doing what I said I was going to do. Think I will stick with it through this week to make sure it stays locked in and take a couple more lbs off and hit the 50 lbs lost since February bench mark. Then it will be back to the regularly scheduled program.  Here we go again....

20160926_060525.jpg

You might need to drop your preload.

It's my turn for the fat kid wall of shame starting out at 224lbs. I really should be around 195lbs to look decent.  The doc yelled at me last week.  I'm getting back on the low carb train.  I wish I had the extra $$$ to join a gym but things are a tad tight right now though the end of the year. For now, my minimal weight set will have to do.  I've been walking in the evenings but I need to either pick up the distance or the pace.  Maybe both.  Getting old sucks.  

Edited by Wojo72

• 4 weeks later...

Well, had a little set back and gained bout 6 lbs over 2 weekends with the Gap tip and a weekend with the wife. But I have rebounded from that and back to 249. I want to drop the next 9 lbs before Thanksgiving and 19 lbs by Jan. 7th. That might be a tall order with the holidays but I'm always up for a challenge. Brought the recumbent bike out of the bedroom and stuck it right in front of my recliner in the living room, plus I'm on 12 hour shifts at work probe for the next month that should help too.

BTW, my wife is down 90 lbs., she lost 45 pre surgery between Feb and Aug, and has lost 45lbs post surgery since the end of Aug. She's doing real well with it, but her body is still adjusting to the change. She has no regrets on doing it and looks fucking wonderful. :waaa:

Edited by 2talltim
  • Upvote 4

Nice...I put a few back on between the dive trip and the gap trip but I've lost it again and been holding steady. I've been lifting like a madman so some fat loss is being offfset by muscle...scale isn't moving but I can tell a difference in how my clothing fits.

I hate scales. [emoji20] 

Dont get discouraged. Just write it off and get back at it. Shit happens. 

I hear ya IP. I'm actually down 4 pounds from my starting point but I was hoping for a little bit more. I need to get some more exercise during the day. The change in diet killed my energy level but I'm starting to adjust.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Okay this may seem like a dumb question but honestly I don't know. I am totally on a weight loss Journey right now not looking to bulk up any quite yet. But I've been doing some targeting of area muscles around the fattiest parts of my body for example my stomach and chest to lean out that area. Been doing a lot of crunches and sit-ups also using some free weights and working on the areas around my chest. Not so much my chest but my stomach muscles are sore as fuck. Been doing 3 or 4 sets of 20 crunches or sit ups on a inclined bench every other day for a little over a week. Is the muscle soreness a good thing to keep pushing or should I give it a few days to recover before I continue to do more. Just don't want to do too much too hard and be counterproductive just looking to burn fat not build bulk.

• Upvote 1

First off you can't target burn fat, so only working certain areas will not make them leaner quicker. As for the soreness, it all depends. If it's just the muscles then yes it's fine to push through as they are getting use to the activity. If it's anything other than the muscles, take it easy for a while to recover.

You need to rest the muscles for at least a day, likely 2 as you age when you are strength training. The exceptions are abs and calves which can be trained very frequently but if you have a lot of soreness, wait until it abates - your muscles have not recovered yet. The soreness will not happen or be very mild if you are consistent with your workouts. Even taking 2 weeks off can trigger the soreness again.

I typically break my workouts out as such to prevent overtraining of muscles:

Day 1 - Chest, tri's shoulders

Day 2 - cardio

Day 3 - Back, bi's, abs

Day 4 - legs

Day 5 - rest (usually do some crunches at home)

Day 6 - Chest, tri's shoulders

Day 7 - cardio or another rest day depending on my schedule

Day 8 - Back, bi's, abs

Day 9 - legs

etc, etc

I sometimes do some extra shoulder work on back days with a focus on rear delts depending how I feel and how hard I worked the shoulders the previous time. I try to vary the exercises, even if it's just using a different grip (wider vs narrower or overhand vs underhand) and I've been steadily increasing the poundage. Once a month I do lighter weights and higher reps for all the strength training. Every once and a while, I'll work opposing muscle groups in the same workout just to change it up but the above is mostly what I stick to.

Don't worry about building too much bulk...once you get over 30 (even more so after 40) you have to lift very hard over a long period to really pack on muscle unless you are genetically gifted or juicing. Plus it's hard to build muscle if you are on a calorie restricted diet though if you have a lot of weight to lose, your body finds the energy it needs from your fat but it's still not ideal conditions. Muscle is good, it burns calories even at rest and fills you out if you've lost a lot of weight to mitigate the saggy skin look (not so much in the mid-section). You'll find certain muscles grow faster than others so you can back off of the exercises that isolate them. My arms grow pretty easy but I struggle building my chest and lats. As such, I don't do a lot of bi or tricep isolation moves or some days I skip them altogether as the get work doing multi-joint exercises when doing back and chest.

The scale says I haven't lost a pound since the gap trip (still down 85lbs) but my clothes are getting looser in the right spots so I know I'm offsetting some fat loss with muscle. I saw a bunch of people I hadn't seen in 6 months + this past weekend and some of them barely recognized me from a distance so I'd say I'm making progress :)

• Upvote 1