Weight loss/ lifting/ dieting thread

rawlins87

2 hours ago, blue03636 said:

First off you can't target burn fat, so only working certain areas will not make them leaner quicker. As for the soreness, it all depends. If it's just the muscles then yes it's fine to push through as they are getting use to the activity. If it's anything other than the muscles, take it easy for a while to recover.

Maybe not scientifically but I swear it works for me. Not going to argue the point, maybe its mental or a  psychological thing but from past routines I swear I lost more where I was exerting it. So for now ill live in the bliss of ignorance ...LOL

And it definitely muscle just hope I didn't pull or strain it. Ill take a couple days off of that area and see how it feels.

Edited by 2talltim
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ScubaCinci said:

You need to rest the muscles for at least a day, likely 2 as you age when you are strength training. The exceptions are abs and calves which can be trained very frequently but if you have a lot of soreness, wait until it abates - your muscles have not recovered yet. The soreness will not happen or be very mild if you are consistent with your workouts. Even taking 2 weeks off can trigger the soreness again.

I typically break my workouts out as such to prevent overtraining of muscles:

Day 1 - Chest, tri's shoulders

Day 2 - cardio

Day 3 - Back, bi's, abs

Day 4 - legs

Day 5 - rest (usually do some crunches at home)

Day 6 - Chest, tri's shoulders

Day 7 - cardio or another rest day depending on my schedule

Day 8 - Back, bi's, abs

Day 9 - legs

etc, etc

I sometimes do some extra shoulder work on back days with a focus on rear delts depending how I feel and how hard I worked the shoulders the previous time. I try to vary the exercises, even if it's just using a different grip (wider vs narrower or overhand vs underhand) and I've been steadily increasing the poundage. Once a month I do lighter weights and higher reps for all the strength training. Every once and a while, I'll work opposing muscle groups in the same workout just to change it up but the above is mostly what I stick to.

Don't worry about building too much bulk...once you get over 30 (even more so after 40) you have to lift very hard over a long period to really pack on muscle unless you are genetically gifted or juicing. Plus it's hard to build muscle if you are on a calorie restricted diet though if you have a lot of weight to lose, your body finds the energy it needs from your fat but it's still not ideal conditions. Muscle is good, it burns calories even at rest and fills you out if you've lost a lot of weight to mitigate the saggy skin look (not so much in the mid-section). You'll find certain muscles grow faster than others so you can back off of the exercises that isolate them. My arms grow pretty easy but I struggle building my chest and lats. As such, I don't do a lot of bi or tricep isolation moves or some days I skip them altogether as the get work doing multi-joint exercises when doing back and chest.

The scale says I haven't lost a pound since the gap trip (still down 85lbs) but my clothes are getting looser in the right spots so I know I'm offsetting some fat loss with muscle. I saw a bunch of people I hadn't seen in 6 months + this past weekend and some of them barely recognized me from a distance so I'd say I'm making progress :)

Ive lost 11lbs since the Monday after the gap trip. 6 of that was regain from the previous weeks and the other 5 is new weight loss. I'm now down 55lbs since Feb14th.

• Upvote 3

Well I hit a milestone this week. I'm down a few more pounds and technology not obese any more, I'm just overweight.(by these charts that "experts" made up). Going by those "experts" I need to be at 205 lbs to  be at optimal weight so I'll never see that. Not because I don't think I can, just because I don't really want to. 220 is my goal, so anything under that I'll be happy as a clam. Btw, my starting  weight was 298 back in February.

2016-11-04 04.49.35.jpg

Bmi-chart-big.jpg

Edited by 2talltim
  • Upvote 4

On 11/7/2016 at 8:37 PM, ScubaCinci said:

Actually, the day after tomorrow is going to be the worst. Feels good though. 

You were right. I was sore this morning, but I was back at the gym again this evening. 30 minutes of cardio again. I'm feeling it tonight.

I may have a big setback coming. Long story short, I've had issues with both of my Achilles due to heel spurs. I had to have surgery on my right one several years ago which was a nightmare. 12-15 weeks non-weight bearing, then another 3 months in a boot with limited weight bearing. 6 months, until I can do normal walking activities and a year until back to 100%. No fun - in fact it was fucking horrible  

Well, my left one has been bothering me for a while and after doing therapy and a small procedure to mitigate the problem, I think it's now torn :( I can't support my weight on up on my toes on that foot and I can't walk without a limp. The symptoms/pain are exactly like when I tore my right one. So I go see the doctor on the 23rd where he'll likely tell me I have to have the same surgery.

The extra bummer is my wife and I have a scheduled dive trip to Indonesia in Feb with $25k invested so likely I'll have to wait until after them to have the surgery which means I miss the whole riding season next year :( FML

btw, down 90lbs (per the scale) but I'm sure it's more. I've definitely put on some muscle and it's starting to show - even my wife noticed and she sees me every day. I max benched 315 lbs the other night but that's as high as I'm going because it's really hard on my joints...I'm no spring chicken anymore 

so much for a long story being short. 

Update: One week into my new diet and workout schedule. Mainly cutting carbs, sweets, and soda. Exercise has been 30 minutes of cardio Mon, Wed, Fri, & Sat. 6 pounds lost. I assumed this was good progress so I treated myself to a motorcycle ride (Who am I kidding, I was going riding regardless). Rode about 100 miles of SEO roads. Deer are moving big time right now.

Had a couple non scale victorys this weekend. First one was being able to buy a size 36 waist regular fit pants. I've come a long way from the size 42 relax fit ones I was in this time last year. 

The second victory isn't a huge one but kind of emotional one. I was able to get my original wedding band on. Haven't been able to wear it in 16 or 17 years. 

Edited by 2talltim
  • Upvote 4

Back at the gym. Again.  Having 2 kids makes me feel pretty guilty about not going straight home after work.

Registered for a cyclocross race on Sunday (see thread in the cycling forum).  That should be humbling, but having a competitive reason to train for something helps me be more consistent at the gym.  There's another race the Sunday after Thanksgiving.

Wife and I booked a weekend trip in March.  Nowhere fancy, but it's with a lot of people we haven't seen in several years, and there's a hot tub.  the last time these people saw me I was 185 and worked out 5+ days a week. Currently at 175, and nearing "dad bod" status.

I'm still a little too young for that shit.

Well great news, I'm off overtime starting next week, been working 12 hours a day for 6 days a week for the last month keeping me from really doing anything extra. Bad news is ill prob miss my 239.9 weigh in goal this week by 2 or 3 lbs. But this just motivates me more, being my OT is ending I want to start working out more since I wont be as tried all the time. So my next goal is to at or under 229.9 by January 7th, that when me and Mrs. will be going on vacation to the Caribean.  I plan on kicking it up ALOT. I think I'm fine on the diet just need to cut out the cheats and temptations and stick to the routine. But my plan is to work out at least 1/3 of what I consume EVERYDAY. So if I eat 1200 calories I need to burn 400 or more in some sort of work out. EVERYDAY. Starting Friday, I'll work out Wednesday and Thursday I just know I wont be able to burn 1/3 of what ill eat for the holiday shindigs. That gives me 45 days to loose lets just say 15lbs (maybe more like 12 or 13) May not sould like much but it  really gets harder the more you loose and I lost all my easy to loose weight months ago. I bought a fitness watch on amazon the other day and hope this tool helps me a little. Timt to dust off the home gym and tread mill and us right along my bike ive been using.

Tim, men generally should not consume less than 1500 calories per day. You are a big guy (regardless of your bodyfat %) so I would absolutely stay above that number. If not, you'll slow your metabolism down and your body will become catabolic and eat away at your muscles - and that's not the weight you want to lose. I want to see you reach your goals and keep it off long term.

I'm still eating 1800-2200 a day, and a bit more here and there when special circumstances come up and I've been very consistent in my exercise regimen though my long walks and short runs are over for a while as I'm pretty sure my left Achilles is torn (I see the doc tomorrow). :cry:

I'm down 92 lbs as of yesterday.I spent over a month not losing or gaining (thanks to a couple of vacations) and now it's starting to come off again. My body is like "are you serious with this? Yep, I guess so....let's move it". I've been lifting A LOT so some fat loss is hopefully being off-set by muscle. I've gone from a waist size 48-50 (depending on the pant) and now I'm more or less a 40 (depending on the pant).

The "bad" news is, I'm going to have to go back through my closet and get rid of more clothes...they are all getting too big for me. I'm trying to hold off buying too many new clothes because I aim to lose another 30-40 lbs. I bought some new clothes recently that are more my "new" size and more athletic cut. Suddenly people at work were like, holy cow you lost serious weight and you've been hitting the weights too! The clothes were so baggy on me that few people noticed before.

I've actually had two different very attractive women hit on me in the last few weeks which hasn't happened in a while. One at the gym and one when I was at lunch with some co-workers. That's always good motivation ;)

56 minutes ago, ScubaCinci said:

Tim, men generally should not consume less than 1500 calories per day. You are a big guy (regardless of your bodyfat %) so I would absolutely stay above that number. If not, you'll slow your metabolism down and your body will become catabolic and eat away at your muscles - and that's not the weight you want to lose. I want to see you reach your goals and keep it off long term.

My goal or target per day is 1400 and it is that low because I know I'm weak and with my cheats and ill just have a piece of this or that when I walk through the kitchen realistically I am probably consuming 1600 to 1700 on average and much more on true cheat days. And all my food now is extremely high in protein, so I know im feeding my muscles. Every day my diet consist of some of the following yogurt, hummus, meat snacks, cheeses, air baked porkrines, dried chic peas, protein shakes and usually a large portion of white baked meat of some kind for dinner. As well as my fiberous intake of prunes, carrots, celery, steamed veggies, fiber gummies, bran cereal or maybe a hand full of nuts. Ive tried to eliminate as many carbs as possible, no breads, no pasta, no rice, no potato's, I'm picky about my fruits only ones that have the fiber to balance out the crabs so no bananas, grapes or kiwi's. I don't drink soda or fruit juice, I haven't given up beer but only on occasion now and only on what I consider cheat days. And I drink water like a fish I really don't think im starving my body at all, if anything I have been in perfect "maintain mode". We have done sooo much research on food lately it's almost sickening. I don't fall for advertising, diet fads or labels on the front of boxes, only go by the nutritional information. I feel confident that my diet is spot on, just need to increase activity.

Edited by 2talltim

You all want some great recipe ideas that are awesome check out this site. They sell products for bariatric patients but there is a tab at the top middle for recipes that we have been trying and love them. And being for bariatric folks they are almost all low carb and high protein.

http://www.bariatriceating.com/

Edited by 2talltim

1 hour ago, blue03636 said:

Man, I don't know how you guys eat so few calories. My breakfast alone is about 7-800 calories of all carbs (fruit).

I'd feel like shit and ready for a nap if I ate that much.

Here is my typical day....with like I said before with out my usual bite here and there walking through the house.

Screenshot_2016-11-22-12-32-34.pngScreenshot_2016-11-22-12-33-02.pngScreenshot_2016-11-22-12-33-10.png