Weight loss/ lifting/ dieting thread

rawlins87

Ordered a new elliptical for the home gym. Went with the Proform Endurance 720E. Looked at a crap load of used ones on CL and people either want almost new price for them or they are cheap abused pieces of crap. So spent a little more and went the new route. Got it for about half price, free shipping and 6 months no interest. Mainly ordered it for the wife since she HATES the treadmill but it will be nice to have something else for me to try.

PFEL57914_lg_3-1.jpg

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Wojo72 said:

Nice job Scuba! I don't even recognize you in the 2nd pic. The last time that I saw you was at the Yamaha demo at IP.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Yeah, I've probably lost 40 lbs since then. I'm gonna have to go back to IP, half of my gear doesn't fit me anymore...this loosing weight thing is expensive.

Sounds reasonable to me!

On a related note, if we ever get substantial snow (not that I want it), I plan on shoveling it rather than using the ATV to plow. My driveway is frickin' huge so I'll probably burn a bazillion calories. It might kill me but dammit I'll be thin :lol:

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, ScubaCinci said:

Sounds reasonable to me!

On a related note, if we ever get substantial snow (not that I want it), I plan on shoveling it rather than using the ATV to plow. My driveway is frickin' huge so I'll probably burn a bazillion calories. It might kill me but dammit I'll be thin :lol:

I could do that, my driveway is 320 ft long and another 70ft of side walk. Or I can just use the snow blower then come inside where it is warm and use the treadmill or elliptical for the time I would have taken me to clear the drive by hand. I hate winter that much :lol: 

Edited by 2talltim
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, JustinNck1 said:

Elliptical is my favorite. I found out I don't like it after leg day though...

Make sure you do lots of stretching before and after. Even during between sets.

Helps the soreness the next few days and helps the muscle.

• Upvote 1

I'm still not doing any strength training, I am 100% committed to weight loss right now. I do throw some weights around just to keep what I have and burn some extra fat with medium weight and many reps. Once I hit my goal weight I'll look into beefing up a bit.

• Upvote 1

If you are cutting you're calories substantially, not much chance of beefing up enough to have a big impact on your weight (and those are good lbs). Usually that takes a calorie surplus or at least break even if you are at least moderately overweight. More muscle = more calorie burn at rest.

I've done very little cardio comparitively...I lift about 4 days a week which (along with eating clean) has fueled my weight loss and filled me out in the right places. There are studies that show weight training is more effective than cardio because of the "longer burn" after the exercise has ended. The exception being HIIT which is anaerobic like weight training (if you are doing it right).

All I know is what I'm  doing is working and I'm not loosing any strength. You also have to figure I'm very active at my job. Lifting, carrying, pushing, pulling, restacking heavy loads, climbing around and wrenching on heavy machines. So it not like I'm getting zero compared to your average person. Once I hit my goal weight I'll increase my caloric intake in mostly protein to compensate for the added strength training ill begin at that time. And I have been doing a HIIT(type)work out on my tread mill for the last 2 week. My heart rate is up and down so much on this program it's insane.

Edited by 2talltim
  • Upvote 1

Still making progress, down to 261. I've been adding some more weight training into my workout schedule. I can now run on the elliptical longer and at a faster pace with the same resistance. My goal to be at 250 by New Years is gonna be close, but I'm gonna try like hell to get there.

• Upvote 1

Really bad food day yesterday, I had to work on a Sunday and work always supplies breakfast and lunch for us on Sundays to smooth over the fact that we are there. So it was donuts and pizza and I partook of both ..excessively. And to add insult to injury with all that crap in my gut last night I felt too bloated and tired to do any kind of workout. :( . Oh well, today is reset and back on track day.

• Upvote 1

shit happens. I had pizza myself Sat night because we were running crazy trying to get caught up on Xmas stuff and then my sister stopped by and before you know it, it was 8pm and we hadn't eaten and never made it to the grocery store so pizza delivery it was !

i did make it to the gym the next morning though but felt like a bloated tick which is another good reminder why I quit eating that stuff. Oh well, it's a mararthon not a sprint. 

This weekend was rough for me. Spent Saturday at the PRI show in Indy, so on the way back, we stopped for Steak, Rolls, and Beer at Texas Roadhouse. Didn't get home til late, so no gym to counter-act the terrible eating. Made it to the gym last night, and I'm gonna hit it hard this week.

This damn thread made me check on my current weight. Noticed my jeans fitting a shade looser and figured out I'm 5 lbs lighter than last week and overall down 12 lbs since June and all that's changed is portion size because two screaming babies make it difficult to have time for seconds :lol:

Ok researching on doing a little more lifting, not much just some entry level stuff. My question is, I know they say you need a rest day inbetween lifting days. Can I do cardio on those rest days of does my body need a complete rest?

• Upvote 1

• Casper unpinned this topic