Small SUV/ cars with tall shocks and springs discussion

zx3vfr

I put it in the title because obviously small SUVs aren't reall SUVs but anyway. 2wd also 4wd outs it out of our price range in almost all models and it's not really necessary as roads get cleared really well around these parts in the snow. Fuel economy is not an issue as it would get driven less than 10k a year, 15 mile round trip to work, with a day care stop on the way.

a compact car is too much of a pain with a baby. Stroller in the trunk leaves no room for much so I think we've ruled it down to a few models and want some input.

Nothing Korean, we own a Hyundai now and for what it is its a nice car but it defiantly has its quirks but we knew that going in a 20,000 dollar car with the options of a 40,000 dollar car is going to be inferior in some aspects.

Mostly likely no Toyota rav4 as the options are strange and basically have no options that match up with the trim level in our price range.

No escape, wife refuses to own a ford and the escapes have been recalled plenty already.

Wife's not thrilled with the crv but again the Hondas get expensive when you add options.

The chevy SUVs are nice, my grandparents have an equinox and to option one out with sunroof and gps it goes just beyond our budget.

The itchypussy outlander is nice but like the chevy it gets just beyond our price range with the options.

Basically leaves it to two models.

The jeep compass/patriot, we both like the patriot and comes about 2,500 under our budget. I've driven a few and worked on a few and the interiors of the new models are really nice. The replacement and repair when it gets older will most likely be reasonably priced than an import. The downside is the utilitarian unrefined engine than sounds like a Briggs and Stratton lawn mower. Would not consider purchasing used because most people who buy these things usually neglect service.

The other option is the mazda cx5 it looks really nice, is just under budget. Refined engine fabulous styling and nice interior and an extra 5mpg, which I know I know isn't really world and as mentioned above isn't a huge concern. My fear is like the Hyundai you're getting a lot of options for $27,000 and would have the same quirks. I like the idea it will hold a better resale value and would consider purchasing used, I found an example of one 1 year old, fully loaded with 25k miles for $6,000 less than new. Which would save us 4k over the jeep. I do also worry about cost of replacement parts and cost of service and wife had a Mazda 3 in a previous life and the car would break down quite often and a couple times would be in the ship weeks at a time waiting for replacment parts. When the transmission went out at 8,000 miles it sat in the shop for 29 days because there were no transmissions in the country and it got lost in customs.

Would also consider a used lexus suv but replacement parts and labor can be high, but... Any independant shop that can service Toyotas usually can fix lexus problems. The lexus would probably be the most reliable but I have a hard time justifying paying nearly 30k for a glorified rav4/highlander that's gonna have at least 60k miles.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Am I forgetting any other models?

Edited by zx3vfr

Just looked at that, 27,420 with gps and sunroof. I doubt wife is going to like styling though and when we test drove subaru's 2 years ago even I was unimpressed with the interior and this comes from a guy driving a ford focus. lol

DO NOT get a Jeep, I think you will be highly disappointed. My father in law has leased 3 in a row and he's finally convinced that this one is his last. I am a Jeep lover and it just seems that the price is way too high for what you get and the reliability. The fact they still cannot design a V6 that gets better gas mileage than my V8 2500 is also extremely disappointing

The Lexus RX is far from a glorified Rav 4 or highlander. My mom had the hybrid which I had the pleasure of driving (FWD) great acceleration, easy on gas mileage, elegant ride, and the details in the interior are awesome.

I honestly looked at them and chose to go with the Audi Q5 because I wanted all wheel drive vs FWD.

If you really want a great value, check out the Acura MDX or RDX. Honda reliability by a lot more refined.

I'm with Pauly on the Equinox, haven't heard many good things about them at all.

MY buddy picked up a used MDX a few months ago and has nothing but great things to say for it. This is my buddy who hates on everything too

Edited by Bad324

I'm with Pauly on the Equinox, haven't heard many good things about them at all.

MY buddy picked up a used MDX a few months ago and has nothing but great things to say for it. This is my buddy who hates on everything too

My grandparents have close to 60k on it an no problems

Impreza hatch. AWD. CVT. No more timing belt services due to engine redesign. Can get them decently equipped for your price. Maybe even less if you're willing to buy pre-owned.

wife won't drive a hatch back

The Lexus RX is far from a glorified Rav 4 or highlander. My mom had the hybrid which I had the pleasure of driving (FWD) great acceleration, easy on gas mileage, elegant ride, and the details in the interior are awesome.

I honestly looked at them and chose to go with the Audi Q5 because I wanted all wheel drive vs FWD.

If you really want a great value, check out the Acura MDX or RDX. Honda reliability by a lot more refined.

will not buy German at all, and again, I cannot justify paying 30k for a car with 60,000+ miles.

I think we're going to be set on the cx-5

Between the two choices that the OP mentions, I say Mazda.

I had an 04 Maz 3 that was amazing, and my mom had a MIata for many years that was also a great, reliable, low-maintenance-cost car.   Everyone points to Toy and Hon as "great, reliable cars", but I think Maz is very overlooked.  I'd own another in a heartbeat.  They need to toot their own horn more about their product.  They just kind of hang out under the radar.

My neighbor has a small Jeep SUV (may be a Patriot), and he always seems to be in his garage working on it.  I give him grief by asking him if thats what they mean by "its a Jeep thing".  

The Equinox has a Chinese engine.  No way. 

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/26/business/worldbusiness/26chevy.html?_r=0

(Sorry.  Posted this before I saw the similar thing above).

Edited by YSR_Racer_99

I will toss in a second for the Mazda. I've got a mazda3 hatchback and am overly happy with it. It's got plenty of room for me, handles well, smooth, pretty good on gas, I've not had a lick of problems with it. Bought it with 50k and have 106k on it now and not a single issue. I don't think you can go wrong with Mazda.

Sent while riding

Hate on, haters.  First, look at the date fo that article.  Second, the 3.4 in that generation of the Equinox was VERY reliable, and it's the same engine design that goes all the way back to the early 80's 2.8.  There has been quite a bit redesigned on it, but that design had been around for a long time, say late 80's with refinements happening in the mid 90's.  I am surprised that I didn't know that we had been Shanghai'd on that one!  The current generation of Equinox can have either a 2.4 4 cyl or a 3.0 v6.  The transmission in that generation is most definitely of Asian decent, manufactured by Aisin.  They don't seem to be very problematic either.  

If you're buying new, go ahead with the Equinox.  Get it now, don't wait for the '15 model to come out.  I hear that they're redesigning it, and I'm not a big fan of first year vehicles (even though both of our daily drivers are first year cars.)  The first couple years of the current Equinox had some issues with the 2.4 (we're still doing major engine repairs on them under warranty) but they were just fine by 2012.  Honestly, the 2012 and newer ones have had more radio problems than anything, and those are very few.  

One of the guys in our shop came from a Mazda dealer, and he sings the praises of Mazda.  I'm just not a fan of the interior design of hardly any Asian import.  

Almost all of the major brand name TVs are actually Korean or Japanese. Ironic considering you said no way you were going to get a Korean made car. ;-)

I think you actually missed the point of what I said. We own a Korean car now. It has to many quirks regardless of price. I

The cars pretend to be something they are not. And yes while major appliances are ASSEMBLED in Korea, that still means 99% of everything else put into the car comes from China. BTW our Korean car was actually ASSEMBLED in Alabama. But still, Korean cars have too many quirks.

Let's see for example.

We are on our 4th steering wheel because the "leather" keeps peeling.

The exhaust pops when it's warming up and again pops when it cools, 3 dealers have said this is normal and Hyundai won't replace any parts for that complaint.

Multiple tire sensor failure. Sure those are made in China, but when I worked for BMW I never watched one be replaced to due component failure, a couple due to dumb dumbs putting fix a flat in run flat tires.

The valve train is extremely noisy.

Paint is paper thin.

And for gods sake it has a mini van solid rear axle. Really? I know we're tying to save money here, but in 2010's were using a solid rear axle.

The reason I won't buy another Korean car is because they do cheap out on so much.

2010 Equinox had some issues with the 4 cylinder engine that appear to be fixed on later models. Otherwise we really like ours. Comfort, quiet and roomy compared to Rav4 and CRV of same age. The 4 cylinder gets better gas mileage than them also.

That said if it was my choice I would get a Subaru. They seem to be the most reliable with a great AWD.

Craig

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2