Abusing the Warm Winter Break - 150MPH Chase in Medina

Agent3012

Not impressed... Obviously oshp has policies about excessive speed during pursuits that hindered them ... And he got away but had to leave the bike... Would be more impressed if police gave it their all and the dude managed to get away with the bike... Out here, police don't have have any pursuit restrictions on highways... They will run you down to 150+

Where do you live and I'll make a note to never go there.

If they had a fleet of cars like this and he out ran them it would be real impressive

http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/dubai-police-fleet-grows-size-price-article-1.1357867

Dubai needs those kinds of cop cars, look at what normally drives around out there LOL.

Sent from my iPhone.

So what you are saying is that rider would hit the car with the same force as a car traveling about 35mph...an no one is ever injured in those kind of accidents.

Another likely cause of fatality to someone not involved would be a car taking evasive maneuvers and losing control.

Ofcourse police are also wary of doing something that would lead to the riders death even if the rider is unconcerned.

And 176,000 lb ft/sec is a pretty big number.

Craig

I wasn't saying it was safe, and certainly not advisable, but your math isn't complete if you're talking a bout a rear-end collision.

150-75=7mph net speed for the bike, so the force is lower than we previously calculated.

Still not safe, but not as bad as you suggest. I fully acknowledge the potential for bad things to happen when riders speed.

That said, I also had a 40 mph impact in a car on Wednesday, and walked away pretty much unharmed. The nature of the impact can change things dramatically.

Actually Force = mass x acceleration.  Momentum = mass x velocity.

At a constant speed with no change in direction, acceleration = 0.

But you're right that the car has far more force to transmit, due to its greater momentum.

I'll be generous with estimates here, and say that bike + rider = 800 lbs.  800lbs x 150mph = 120,000 (whatever unit that creates)

Again, we'll be generous with the comparison, and estimate the car's weight pretty low at 3500 lbs. with passengers.  3500 x 75mph = 262,000 (whatever unit that creates)

A car doing half the speed of the bike (and within a real-world margin of the posted limit) still has more than twice as much force when it acts upon another object. But frankly I think people being scared idiots is the greater danger than the motorcyclist actually hitting anyone.

You're both way off the mark with your calcs. The force is considerable since the acceleration term is actually transient from impact to full stop, so it's not constant. The rider carries substantially more energy since he's carrying so much kinetic energy (ke=.5*mv^2). The rider comes to a full stop faster than the car.

Where do you live and I'll make a note to never go there.

Dubai needs those kinds of cop cars, look at what normally drives around out there LOL.

Sent from my iPhone.

Just read the article -- they have a police-livery SLR McLaren Roadster... and an Aston-Martin One-77 D:

aston-martin-one-77-photo-237528-s-1280x

Which is built by HAND.

I'm officially jealous.

I typed it on my phone.  the "7" was supposed to be 75.   knew I'd get beat up on that...

Math equations can be tricky to enter on a keyboard, on a smart phone with autocorrect you are almost assured of not getting what your meant. :)

I should have taken a few more minutes to think about the math. The kinetic energy of the vehicle is 1/2 mass * velocity squared as mentioned above. Double the speed and the energy is 4 times greater. So a bike at 150 has about the same energy as a car at 75. 

So just stupid of the cyclists and not good policy to chase as the most likely result is a fatality.

Craig