shopping for a new bike.

Jhaynes08

Today i parted with my SV650, so that means i can shop around for a another bike. going to be used of course. I was looking at the first gen of the ZX6R 636 considering cost of the bike + tax and insurance so i can still swing a trip to deals gap at the beginning of next month. Ive read on the forums from the people that own(ed) these bikes and they loved them with little issue from them. Does anyone on this forum know anything about them/ things to look out for on these specifically?

Never had any issues on mine but just make sure not to get a stunted one. Seems these days there are a shit ton of squids running around on 636s

The only thing I can remember being an issue to look for was 2nd gear would go on the trans

Never had any issues on mine but just make sure not to get a stunted one. Seems these days there are a shit ton of squids running around on 636s

The only thing I can remember being an issue to look for was 2nd gear would go on the trans

this one has way low miles and it belongs to a woman who just doesn't ride it. Im pretty sure it has never been used for stunts either.  

Didnt you have yours for only a week or so :-p

To specify, it can be a 2nd gear or just worn shift forks (but normally a combo of both). Despite that issue I wouldnt trade my 05 636 for anything. a gearing change to -1/+2 and the power/gearing is awesome.  The only other issue is kawi tick, a really loud ticking from the right side under the tank. The auto CCT sometimes fails, so I had a manual APE CCT put in...adjusted and now its sings with a soft purr in idle.

im not sure about this then, if it is such a common problem i don't think i would want to sink that much into the bike.

Well how low of miles does it have? Mine had like 1700 miles on and rode it to 3500 miles and never had an issue

No matter what bike you pick, it's going to have a pretty common issue

Edited by Bad324

the odo was around 5k i think, but i am going to look at it again this week and really drill some questions about why the milage is so low and try to get more info on the bike before i buy anything. Are these issue just for the ZX6r? or can they be an issue on any bike?

The answer you will get about low mileage will be one of these 3: Woman, Kid(s), time

i think thats why, but if it works out for me then i am alright with that. Im just concerned with the whole transmission issue is kind of still putting me off. 

I heard a lot about the 2nd gear issue back in 2008/2009, and then almost nothing about it thereafter.  It was like all of them that were going to fail did so all at the same time. People complained, and it was over with.

I know there were some awesome part-outs to be had from that issue.  Spare 636 motors went up in price for a bit too.  It was a labor-intensive fix (required splitting the cases), but not a fatal issue. 

If it were a trackday bike, I might not even have fixed it... You could still have a lot of fun with 3rd through 6th gears, and lived with the occasional bog out of a turn.  That said, turn 13 at Nelson and dead bear at Putnam are the only two places I can think of that I always used 2nd gear.   Maybe onto the front straight at Mid-Ohio, but I dont' recall.

thanks for the input and know how guys. i did find an 03 CBR with decent milage and price i am going to look into as well, but i will have a bike again by this weekend. 

I'm likely biased because of my cbr purchases but even if its pristine, I wouldn't pay more than $3000-3500 for an 03

Edited by Bad324

this is one of those bought it and never road it things with around 3k on the clock. 

so $3500 to me then, its what like 12 years old now?

Edited by Bad324

thanks for the input and know how guys. i did find an 03 CBR with decent milage and price i am going to look into as well, but i will have a bike again by this weekend.

I wouldn't even blink before picking the 636.

• Upvote 1

so $3500 to me then, its what like 12 years old now?

yeah, thats about the only fault i can find with the bike from what the guy has told me, but i am going to be going over it looking for anything that i can use to beat him down on the price. 

I wouldn't even blink before picking the 636.

i was just looking at the 636 again, the slip on is a hack job, and it was dropped with a dinged lever and bar end plus a small crack in the body work. but the guy is asking $4500 for the 636 compared to $4000 for the cbr. 

Echoing Bad here. I am not knowledgeable about the intricacies of the Kawi, but $4000 is well high for an 03 CBr. In 05 they shed 15lb in weight and got the inverted forks. 07-08 was another major overhaul and is considered The best of the earlier gen cbr. Newer models still gain the big piston forks, electronic steering damper, better brakes, better midrange, etc, which all should drive down the price of first gens.

In any sport bike around the 10 year mark, regardless of milage and especially if it has sat, budget for oil (at least 1 flush)/brake fluid/coolant, fork oil/rebuild, tires, chain, maybe an air filter.

One issue particular to those years of cbr is the wiring connection to the headlights, both in the headlight switch and under the start button. Check this operation before buying as they may need re - soldered.

All this can add $500 of cost if you do it yourself, and God knows if you pay to have it serviced.

Depending on year and mileage of the 636 I'd say no more than 3500 either

the year 636 is an 03 with around 3000 original miles, the guy bought it for his wife new and she just never rode the things. Im pretty sure it has been sitting for a while so im going to beat him down on his price because of that and it has been dropped. I can knock it down there too. all that stuff about an oil change and the general maintenance that Bloodninja420 brought up as well. So a $3500 bike becomes a $4000 or more. 

Echoing Bad here. I am not knowledgeable about the intricacies of the Kawi, but $4000 is well high for an 03 CBr. In 05 they shed 15lb in weight and got the inverted forks. 07-08 was another major overhaul and is considered The best of the earlier gen cbr. Newer models still gain the big piston forks, electronic steering damper, better brakes, better midrange, etc, which all should drive down the price of first gens.

In any sport bike around the 10 year mark, regardless of milage and especially if it has sat, budget for oil (at least 1 flush)/brake fluid/coolant, fork oil/rebuild, tires, chain, maybe an air filter.

One issue particular to those years of cbr is the wiring connection to the headlights, both in the headlight switch and under the start button. Check this operation before buying as they may need re - soldered.

All this can add $500 of cost if you do it yourself, and God knows if you pay to have it serviced.

i am so glad i posted somethi

I would trust a used CBR over the ZX.

Also, Honda's hold their value much better.  If the CBR is less and same condition, I would jump on it 

im trying to get the cbr, but i am having a scheduling conflict with the seller. The ZX is my next choice if i cant get the CBR.