Has anyone run BT-023s?

bloodninja420

The Pony is running a pretty good deal ($160 for set of front and rear) on BT-023s, and Im considering picking some up.

Has anyone run these?  I am wondering how they might compare to Michelin's sport-tourers, and if Michelin would be worth the premium.

For reference my street riding involves commuting on straight roads, and 60 miles of slab to get to any twisties. 

I have been running the Michelin Pilot Road 3s for nearly 20k miles, and I really like them. I have a brand new set of Michelin Pilot Road 4 sitting in the garage. I am hoping to get to Hobs next Sunday to get them mounted.

My bike is larger and heavier, so these may not be the optimal tire for your bike.

The Pilot Roads came highly recommended on a Concours riding forum, and I couldn't be happier. My bike had the stock Bridgestone BT021s when I got it, and they were terrible.

My stock tires are also Bridgestone, bt015... Not sure what you ride, but I get a lot of tire spin if I run over any smooth surfaces or odd transitions in the roadway (passing over double yellows etc)... The tires just feel very lacking... Can't wait to dump them for something else, but they're lasting forever lol.... I won't buy Bridgestone anything anymore

Edited by Steve Butters

I have run many sets of BT023 on my Yamaha FZ1 and they are great tires! I went back to back with Michelin Pilot Road 2 and the Bridgestone is every bit as good if not better. Factor in price and there is no comparison on which is a better value.

Steve...never compair an OEM version of a tire to the afterarket version. There is no comparison, as they are built specific to each OEM to hit a cost point. One OEM of same model tire can be very different to another OEM of the same model.

A bike i bought came with Dunlop Qualifier 2 tires OEM, and they were horrible in every conceivable way...rode same bike with aftermarket Q2's and it was night and day...the tire profiles were so different you could see it with out looking for it.

For Sport Touring tires, Pirelli Angel GTs are about as good as it gets. Michelin Pilot Road 2, 3, or 4 are also really good.

I've never been a fan of Bridgestone, but I would take them over Dunlops.

I always felt the Pirelli angel gt were the best as well. That was until I tried the pr3s. The Pirelli is right there with them, but in wet conditions the pr3s take the cake.

Sent while riding

I always felt the Pirelli angel gt were the best as well. That was until I tried the pr3s. The Pirelli is right there with them, but in wet conditions the pr3s take the cake.

Sent while riding

The PR3 and now PR4 are probably the best in wet.  The PR2 lasts a bit longer than the PR3.

I think the Angel GT is the best for long life and dry grip...but honestly any of PRs or the GT are really, really good. 

Edited by Tpoppa

My stock tires are also Bridgestone, bt015... Not sure what you ride, but I get a lot of tire spin if I run over any smooth surfaces or odd transitions in the roadway (passing over double yellows etc)... The tires just feel very lacking... Can't wait to dump them for something else, but they're lasting forever lol.... I won't buy Bridgestone anything anymore

Yup original tires on the VFR and hated them

I can attest to Angel GTs...two track days and 4500 miles later- they will last me this whole season.

632E0DCB-BE8D-4794-B0C4-744749AD5A33-115

C5EB8C71-C91F-4C37-B2B0-84E593532761-567

I'm a total pirelli fan boy. 

Any grip issues on the track?

I've pushed them hard on the street.  I can get the rear to go into a controlled slide around 34 psi.  I'm sure I could get more grip with lower pressure, but it would cost some tire life.

dustinsn3485, If you were referring to the stock tires on the 2011 Ninja 1000, they were Bridgestone BT016's, and I agree, terrible, with short life on that bike.

I switched to the 023's, I liked them better than the stock 16's, but they wore out, and got slippery in much less time than I expected.

If I were to go back to an ST style tire, I think Pirelli or Michelin would be my choice, as the others have mentioned.

I have a set of BT023s on my ST1100 at present.  Only a couple thousand miles on them so far.  I formerly used Avon Storm tires.  The Avons were superior in the wet and in cold temperatures; unfortunately the dual compound led to an odd wear pattern on the front that created head shake.  I like the Bridgestones but expect to get only 8 - 10k out of them (hopefully) compared to 12k+ with the Avons.

The Avons were superior in the wet and in cold temperatures; unfortunately the dual compound led to an odd wear pattern on the front that created head shake.

I suspect the same happened to my XX

I have head shake under deceleration...hopefully just the tires screwing with me as opposed to head bearings or something more serious.

Edited by magley64

dustinsn3485, If you were referring to the stock tires on the 2011 Ninja 1000, they were Bridgestone BT016's, and I agree, terrible, with short life on that bike.

Ahh, 16's. I couldn't remember, if it was that or the 23. I've ran the 23's once on my old zx6r I use to own then. They were a little better, I still lacked all the confidence in the world on them. On the 6 I ran exclusively Pirelli's because they wore so well on that bike. This 1000 seems to eat tires, doesn't matter if it's the pr3 or the angel. I've only tried the ST though in fairness, may give the GT a chance if the cost is worth it. I'm really biased toward the Michelin at this point though.

Sent while riding

Any grip issues on the track?

I've pushed them hard on the street. I can get the rear to go into a controlled slide around 34 psi. I'm sure I could get more grip with lower pressure, but it would cost some tire life.

I ran them at 30/30 , checked pressure before each session. Never a hint of a slip. Running the "fast" novice group at putnam my last day, they never missed a beat, and I'm not real gentle on the throttle coming out of corners...

I've run BT023's on my FZ1 for several years now and have never had any issues with the grip or the wear rate.  I only really used them in heavy rain once, but they seemed fine.  I'm actually getting ready to put the T30's (BT023 replacement) on the rear of my R1 with an S20 front and I don't expect to have any issues.