Pics of the worst lack of maintenance you've ever seen. GO!

silentcropduster

What is red death?  Excess chain lube?

Fretting damage in steel can be identified by the presence of a pitted surface and fine 'red' iron oxide dust reminiscent of cocoa powder. Strictly this debris is not 'rust' as its production requires no water. The particles are much harder than the steel surfaces in contact, so abrasive wear is inevitable; however, particulates are not required to initiate fret.

B.

Guy brought me a quad that was burning oil like a house on fire. Pulled the motor and noticed this:

20140526_144255.jpg

Pulled motor apart and by the looks of the head it had been burning lots of oil:

20140601_012904.jpg

Pulled off the case with the chunk missing and found this:

whole motor was pretty well shot. He ended up paying me for my teardown and scrapping it.

Edited by CrazySkullCrusher

You know he could hear and feel that chain kink going over the front sprocket. 1'hour maintenance a month would prevent that.

Really 1 hour a month?

Last year I adjusted my chain in May, didn't touch it at all except for a bit of wax every couple weeks and to clean it at end of season and apply oil for over winter.

it still wouldn't have needed adjusted yet this year but i replaced the tires and I ride 4k+ miles a year.

I'll have to see if I can dig up pics of my XR100 when I first bought it. 

A corner of the engine case was "repaired" with foam insulation, and it had a ridiculous amount of mud on it, even for a dirt bike.  The PO had "just cleaned it up" as well.

That should leave a nice hole in his left buttock and take off a good chunk of his leg when it comes off on the road!

This gem was parked at the JP Morgan Chase building in Columbus. The chain was kinked, had the red death all over the swing arm.
bazu8u4e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Edited by Speedy Gonzales

Really 1 hour a month?

Last year I adjusted my chain in May, didn't touch it at all except for a bit of wax every couple weeks and to clean it at end of season and apply oil for over winter.

it still wouldn't have needed adjusted yet this year but i replaced the tires and I ride 4k+ miles a year.

Maybe I should clarify every month I go over both bikes end to end, chain& sprocket, tires, fluids, brakes and every bolt. That's what takes an hour. Preventetive maintenance will save your hide.
  • Upvote 1

This is why I have a hard time buying a used bike. The majority of motorcycle owners do not have a clue as to how to properly maintain their bike.

You sure got that right, and instead of paying someone to do it for them it just don't happen.

Maybe I should clarify every month I go over both bikes end to end, chain& sprocket, tires, fluids, brakes and every bolt. That's what takes an hour. Preventetive maintenance will save your hide.

you must be anal then. Or have a bike that is not easily accessible. I check tires once a week takes less than 60 seconds included in that 60 seconds I can check brakes pad life. Once every 1,000 miles or so I pull out the 6 various tools I need and give each bolt a little check. Probably no more than 5 minuets. I also put the bike up on the rear stand whenever I wax the chain and before I make it all sticky I give it a quick spin and check for any kinks or tight spots.. I think I probably spend MAYBE an hour doing checks in a Season.