329 New Asphalt

B-Mac

7/10/14 On my way back from Maritta on 550W at Amesville 329N toTrimble has new asphalt. ODOT was finishing the painting just one temporary traffic light lane restriction for a short 3 min wait.

another note it was 78deg's and 26,800,256,536,550,78 were just 289 miles of fine :)

Brian

• Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...

We started in Lancaster.  374 south to 56 east. 328 south. 50 east. 278 north over to 685 (turnaround at end and come back). 78 to 691 south.  56 over to 50/33 (?) pick up 329 from there to 550. 550 east to the good section near 377 then turn back around and do that good section of 550 again. Then took 550 to Athens where we stayed overnight. About 200 miles.

All of these roads have new or newer pavement, very little traffic and are pretty clean for the most part.

another note it was 78deg's and 26,800,256,536,550,78 were just 289 miles of fine :)

Brian

How was the pavement on 536??? Much debris on the road?

Edited by Chuck78

I ride McConnelsville >377>550 Marietta quite a bit. I need to do a little more exploring in that area. Maybe I'll do that this Saturday.

Do you take 550 all the way to Marietta?Have you ever truer 676?

If you want to explore...here's a thought...377,550,555,676,cr6 Buchannon rd,339,821,530,60 to Marietta.

If you haven't been on that section of 676 and 530 ...be prepared,they are VERY tight,twisty roads.The four or five miles of 530 might be the twistyest in SEO.That section of 676 would be a contender also.

676 is good all the way to Marietta,but the route above is even better.

what's a good route that includes 329?

If You were coming from Marietta on 550 and heading to 13N at the North side of Athens I cut off that section and take 329N to 13N at Trimble then go 13N or 78. IMHO you cut off some of the small town traffic and so so section of roads to get back north bound. as someone said it also looks good going south off 550. YMMV  Brian

676 had two really nice twisty sections, one was right by 555 and fairly similar but better road surface condition (practically brand new).  In between the two sections (if coming from Marietta to 555), it is pretty flat and all clearcut farm fields.  Weird change of pace after riding 26/78 or any other roads out that way E/NE of Marietta.

I'm trying to scope out a route from 550@377 back up to 685, and it appears that the routes are all tar and chip from the satellite view, but I have not ridden them yet to confirm. 329 isn't a bad ride at all there either, but south of there it is better (more fun).

Good to know about 536.  I get the feeling that 536 has the most blind/decreasing radius/off camber turns of any state route in Ohio, and I haven't found anyone else who will let me drag them from Columbus all the way out to Woodsfield to ride that area. Only done solo once 78/255/26 and a ton of side roads around 26 & 260.

• 1 month later...

I wound up riding 676 last month.  I wouldn't call 676 a good road if you like to ride at a spirited pace.  Especially in the direction going towards Marietta.  The turns aren't "flowing" and there are a few decreasing radius corners that can bite you if your pace it too quick.

The jump is heading toward Marietta, I believe between 555 and 792.  In one of the straights there is a sign that says "Bump 25 mph," but it's really a small hill about 8 ft tall.  It looks pretty innocent, but if you are going over 65-70 you will get airborne. 

The best part of 676 is between 555 and the small (tiny) town of Dale.It is VERY twisty!it is definitely a road that demands respect.I consider this section of 676 one of the four twistyest rides in SEO.

From Watertown to Marietta has some good high speed sweepers,the middle section is a mix of corners and straights.

So what part of 676 is good?  I've read some past posts that said areas were chip/sealed but it now sounds like areas have been paved? Any details you can give would be appreciated. Thanks. 

Mary

The section from Watertown to 555 was paved last year,Marietta to Watertown was paved about two years ago.They paved the area that was chipsealed about 5 years ago.

Yes there are some decreasing radius turns,use caution your first pass,but that goes for ANY road I suggest.

• Upvote 1

We did end up riding 676 from Marietta to 550.  We liked it.  I don't think you see the decreasing radius corners in this direction so maybe not as hairy as going in the other direction.  We will do this one again. 

As far as 329. All new pavement. Mostly calm twisties although my husband and I both got caught off guard on one right hander going north.  New pavement and no traffic can lull you into complacency.