unOFFICIAL FALL Epic Ride - Saturday September 27

DerekClouser

56 is still closed just past 278. I took 278 north to 33 then picked back up on 78 in nelsonville. I remember that damn light in coonville every time but it still sneaks up. Its right there after that corner! I missed a turn and took 93/13 by Crooksville to 155 to 93 back to Logan. Oh well... Damn sun was in my eyes on 669 so that was slow and unfortunate. Great ride though, looking forward to the group on the 27th!

For future reference, take 278N from 56 and cross old 33 at Nelsonville. continue on 278N after about 4 blocks of resident housing you break out and pass under the new 33 bypass. jam all the way to the right turn on 595N. take 595 all the way to New Straitsville intersection (Begley Campground on right) turn right on 216 and pick up 78N at Murry City. Caution there is a sharp down hill left decreasing radius turn on 595 just as you get to New Straitsville. Skid marks and guard rail scrapes show past performances. Fun Roads! B.

That's good Paul. My worries are either getting taken out by someone else or running over someone's head. I don't need either. I will see what I can do about work and mull it over. What group would you be riding in?

I'll ride like a Grandpaw so I'll ride medium group, quick pace but relaxed.

I'm riding two up on a papaw bike. Mark me down for slow group.

If anyone needs to: my bike usually has room in the saddles/top case for stuff.

I will have a tire plug kit, small first aid kit, electric tire pump, portable battery jump box, and can carry some extra fuel.

If I wear fluorescent vests and put a few more fog lights on, I will be the nerdiest person there.

I'm riding two up on a papaw bike. Mark me down for slow group.

If anyone needs to: my bike usually has room in the saddles/top case for stuff.

I will have a tire plug kit, small first aid kit, electric tire pump, portable battery jump box, and can carry some extra fuel.

If I wear fluorescent vests and put a few more fog lights on, I will be the nerdiest person there.

Nerds on this ride, I best practice my noogies, and purple nurples

I've rerouted the medium group's ride to avoid the Rt56 shutdown by taking 278 north to Canal St in Nelsonville, then south to Burr Oak Blvd to get to Rt78.  I'll also jump across Summit St in Somerset to get between Rt13 and 668, this way we'll avoid the traffic circle in town.  These couple jaunts will only shorten the route by about 8 miles total, but the only other options I see will add quite a bit of mileage to the ride, and this just makes it simpler.  Are the other groups planning their reroutes the same way?

FWIW. Just got off 56 a hour ago this afternoon and it is open at the 56S/278N intersection. The road closed signs were set off in the grass. they may have it open on the weekends, dont know. There is a lot of debris on the roads with all this wind. Branches, acorns and walnuts were the wepons of the day brought on by the Varmit Cong (squirels) and the wind.

Can't commit to the ride, but have a suggestion on the route...

Take 664 south to Logan rather than 668. Its a few miles west on rt22 from Somerset. Much more entertaining and has some fresh asphalt. Even better would be to take 668 to 312 over to 664 and then down to Logan. 312 just got resurfaced about two months ago. I ride right past 668 every time to get to 664 if I'm headed towards Logan.

Silly question: Most make the route without refueling? My idiot light comes on around 120-130 depending on how I ride at which point I gamble with the devil on how far I can get.

Like IP said...

There is a fuel stop about 1/2 way.

Edited by snot

Any plan for the reroute, or is there hope the road opens back up before next weekend? I'd just like to study the route and get it down as best I can beforehand, seeking redemption for the Spring ride's wrong turns :D

Study up. I can't give you directions this time since I'm not coming. :D

• Upvote 1

Study up. I can't give you directions this time since I'm not coming. :D

Touche' :D

And thanks again for the redirect just before Nelsonville. Thought I was further into the ride than I was at that point. I'll do better this time. Will have 2 GPS units and 2 smartphones to navigate by. So, if I cant get it right with that much help, I'm a lost cause :lol:

Edited by Hellmutt

There's not much to lead or sweep in a group of 2.  Any others?

i might jump in with you guys if at all i can make it to the ride. Even if the pace is not my first preference :) , leaving the lot early and getting the ride done early helps me to get back home early :D I will peel off from mcconnelsville ohio to 83 and back up.