Who here has a jeep wrangler...

oldschoolsdime92

Lots more calendar days of fun in a Wrangler, than a Trans Am or Vette.  I was shopping for a C6 when I decided to give a Wrangler a try instead.  So glad I did.  We have a blast all year long in this thing.  A $5k TJ will need a little work typically, and will have some rust.  My good friend, brother and nephew have all gotten $5k TJ's in the last couple of years.  Just make sure to check the frames for rust.  Typically they rot right in front of the rear lower control arms.

This was 2-28-16

20160227_152955_zpsomgijzac.jpg

And this was earlier in February 

20160112_113233_zpszt4p2af2.jpg

Last Fall

20150922_183722_zps9jrjir8a.jpg

River%202_zpsv7chvh64.jpg

Edited by Tonik
Fixed pic links, if OP objects I will be happy to break them again.

I'm unsure what exactly you are saying, but the only reason a TJ would sell for $5k with a rotted frame, is because the buyer over looked it.  The TJ's that I've seen for $5k have a little fender rust, tub rust, or surface rust on the frame.  Fenders are dirt cheap, and if you catch a rotting frame early enough, you can stop the rust with the right measures.

Also, Jeeps can be money pits, whether it's upkeep/maintenance ($5k Jeep), or making it your own with mods.  Just Empty Every Pocket.  Also you must be willing to wrench if you go for a $5k TJ.  Or pay ridiculous amounts to shops that may or may not know what they are doing. 

Edited by Ron505

• 2 weeks later...

And the search rambles on. I drove 2 hours to a "specialty used jeep dealer". Had tons of jeeps on their lot. Probably 35-40. Less than favorable experience. I've yet to find a clean framed TJ in a reasonable price range. Does it exist? 

Edited by oldschoolsdime92

On March 25, 2016 at 0:49 PM, Ron505 said:

I'm unsure what exactly you are saying, but the only reason a TJ would sell for $5k with a rotted frame, is because the buyer over looked it.  The TJ's that I've seen for $5k have a little fender rust, tub rust, or surface rust on the frame.  Fenders are dirt cheap, and if you catch a rotting frame early enough, you can stop the rust with the right measures.

The current jeep market is insane I've discovered. 5-9k seems to get you rotted frame. I'm ready to scrap this entire idea. 

• 2 weeks later...

HAHA! :lol:

I did take a leap. 

She's a 2003. 4.0, 5 speed. Managed to find it locally. A friend of a friend had it. He bought it years ago with 50k on the clock. It has 203k on it now. I was a bit weary of the mileage but its in far better shape than the mileage would suggest. Highest mileage jeep I looked at. It also was the nicest. The PO bought a new truck, and rented a storage unit to park the Jeep in. Came with a nice hardtop. I assume its OEM. I'm debating getting a softtop set up. The hardtop is great, but its cumbersome to take on and off.Interior needs cleaned up but isn't torn up at all. A/C even works. 

E229EAAE-8811-4788-900D-4275929074E0_zps

34F88FCB-5C12-4EE8-AA30-3DA46DD84C25_zps

B03DEC5D-FA52-41DD-8451-891AEE953A7B_zps

Edited by Tonik
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, mango_sv said:

Man, that thing is begging for some All Terrains. Enjoy the money pit. You do know what Jeep means.....

img_1466.jpg

I'm either going BFGs or cooper AT3s, Haven't decided yet. Tires on it are pretty good, just not woods ready. I just ordered all over the frame preservation products, I need, so hopefully it doesn't rust apart like every other jeep I looked at. 

By the way, if thats your jeep, it looks great. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/13/2016 at 0:22 PM, max power said:

Jeeps have been ridiculously overpriced since yuppies discovered them in the early 90s.

that is, coincidentally, when they started putting carpet in the things. Who the hell wants carpet in a jeep?

Have you been leaving notes around town?    :)

image_zpszyenm7w2.jpeg

• Upvote 1