What did you do to your bike today?

JustinNck1

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rq9KPi.jpg

125,000 miles on the old girl, so I'm working my way from back to front servicing every component required.  Final drive now has new oil seals because it was seeping a bit on the high speed-for long periods riding out west.  All rear suspension points have been disassembled, cleaned, inspected and lubed.  The bearings, bolts and spacers are all still in excellent condition because I've done this every year of the bike's life.  Same for the shift and brake pedals.  I'm also taking care of corrosion I'm finding along the way, including the center stand.  The salt is brutal on that poor thing.  New piston and seals in the rear brake caliper.  

I'm up to the engine, as can be seen in the picture.  Last winter I removed the starter and checked the front oil seal and flushed the carbon dust out of it, which bought me another 25k miles, but it's getting weak again, so it's time to go.  New starter will go in today, then I can put the throttle bodies and air box back on, after I check the valve clearances and install new plugs.  New throttle cables will last me the rest of this bike's life.  Then all that's left is clutch and brake fluid change, steering bearings, fork oil change, fresh coolant and putting Humpty Dumpty back together. 

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, Isaac's Papa said:

Just did an oil/filter change on a BMW K1200RS. Have a Multistrada on the lift getting new chain/sprockets that just arrived today. Then a quickie full-service on a gigantic R1150RT ShamuOrkaborka is next. 

I need a bigger garage. :( 

I'm glad you are posting this as it is time for me to do a full oil and filter change myself.  
So... what oil are you using?  
I don't mind buying BMW SH or SG oil, but if I can use Mobil V-Twin 20W-50 or Golden Spectro 4 and save a few bills that would be great.

31 minutes ago, Isaac's Papa said:

Where do you get this?
Are you going to BMW Motorcycles of Cleveland for this because the oil alone is around $45 w/o shipping?
I just happened to see it also being sold at Walmart ... wa, wa, wa, what!?  I never thought to look there.

Edited by Fin

Not my bike, first customer of the year in the garage. 76 cb550, trailered in running on 2 cylinders. After pulling the carbs off I'm astounded that it was even running on 2, but Honda makes (or used to make) some fucking stubborn bikes that refuse to run, even when critically damaged. 

#1 carb, bowl full of green liquid no longer classified as gasoline. Float almost inoperable. Jets completely sealed with denatured gas. 

#2-4 carbs, in slightly better shape, but jets all plugged, float valves full of debris.

Quoted customer $250 for full rebuild including parts. Bike has 20k miles on it so engine is still tight as a teenager. Will have it purring like a kitten by next weekend.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, CrazySkullCrusher said:

Not my bike, first customer of the year in the garage. 76 cb550, trailered in running on 2 cylinders. After pulling the carbs off I'm astounded that it was even running on 2, but Honda makes (or used to make) some fucking stubborn bikes that refuse to run, even when critically damaged. 

Just sat on a '17 CB1100.  Classic.
I used to ride the CX500, another classic.

3 hours ago, CrazySkullCrusher said:

#1 carb, bowl full of green liquid no longer classified as gasoline. Float almost inoperable. Jets completely sealed with denatured gas. 

#2-4 carbs, in slightly better shape, but jets all plugged, float valves full of debris.

Quoted customer $250 for full rebuild including parts. Bike has 20k miles on it so engine is still tight as a teenager. Will have it purring like a kitten by next weekend.

Just put a battery in my old '97 Honda Fourtrax 300 quad after it hadn't been started in 2.5 years.   Engine turned like 4 times and then it purred like a kitten.  Just cant kill it!

Edited by Qman

On 3/25/2017 at 8:00 AM, PhilD'oh! said:

Plus, I just got to 1,000km on the Urinal, so I have an afternoon's worth of work to do to that.  

• "Bike(s): 09 FJR1300 (his)
    12 XL883L (hers)"
  • ....why do you make "her" ride the heavier bike????!?

2 hours ago, Qman said:
  • "Bike(s): 09 FJR1300 (his)
    12 XL883L (hers)"
  • ....why do you make "her" ride the heavier bike????!?

That sportster should be about 100lbs lighter than his FJR :dunno:

My wife's v star 1100 is about 80 lbs lighter than my connie.

Edited by 2talltim
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, 2talltim said:

That sportster should be about 100lbs lighter than his FJR :dunno:

My wife's v star 1100 is about 80 lbs lighter than my connie.

The 883 actually weighs more than my R1200GSA (dry)!!!!

23 minutes ago, Qman said:

The 883 actually weighs more than my R1200GSA (dry)!!!!

Yeah, if comparing dry weights. Real world scenario where a GS had giant panniers, top case, and a zillion other farkles, it's a completely different story. The key is the sportster can be heavy cause it isn't supposed to go offroad...