What did you do to your bike today?

JustinNck1

Not my bike but the wife's. Decided since it's 10 years old and 10k miles I'd check the valve clearances and sync the carbs. And what did I find in all my hard work? No adjustmebts needed, the clearances and sync were balls on middle of the spec. So really a waste of time but at least I have peace of mind now knowing it's all good.

20170419_172623.thumb.jpg.ad1062fbb84b4c758573eb26612f4baa.jpg

20170419_161550.thumb.jpg.fb3fdd8004ad716b04b20a61d077393d.jpg

20170419_161554.thumb.jpg.c431060a5fbe29d04d0ae30642db4748.jpg

20170419_164718.thumb.jpg.1027f8379387252ad5b97b3f6bc866af.jpg

Check this out, TPS on a carb and bowl heaters on carbs that sit between two air cooled jugs. Seems like overkill

20170419_183310.thumb.jpg.d2e46cf8cfc9649127a35353f54e9b26.jpg

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, durk said:

How do you like the bead (bread) breaker? 

lol... apple's auto-correct strikes again it seems.

It works, but I found I had to go around almost the entire circumference of the rim before the bead would actually come off. It will be easier moving forward though since last night was the first time I used it and there's a bit of finesse involved. 

Edited by what

5 minutes ago, what said:

It works, but I found I had to go around almost the entire circumference of the rim before the bead would actually come off. It will be easier moving forward though since last night was the first time I used it and there's a bit of finesse involved. 

I currently use 2-4 x 4s on the ground with my wheel placed on them, then using a couple pieces of 2 x 4s as levers under my 2000lb tractor I break the bead. Hillbilly engineering at its finest. I've contemplated those exact bead breakers. Thanks for your thoughts. 

4 minutes ago, what said:

I have the same breaker. I have used it on 3 tires so far. There is some finesse involved and I did have to go all the way around the bead before I could get mine off also. It does work and does not require much effort. The same levers work pretty decently as spoons. 

I have the same rim protectors but find them a pain to use. I do alot of gravel/dirt so I am just try to be careful and live with the occasional small scratch. 

I'm using armor all as a lube, which works pretty well when wet. I will say having plenty of lube on the surfaces really helps at all stages of the process. From bead breaking to setting the bead of the new tire.

• Upvote 1

Made a little progress on the 1200 Sent about a dozen parts to powdercoat including the wheels. Removed all the bodywork to get ready for paint and flushed out the cooling system. I've found a few surprises here and there but nothing to bad. 

image.thumb.jpeg.8527e8af9a4ed63fb3972ee1c3c46448.jpeg

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, what said:

changed my first tire the old-fashioned way. Forgot to buy weights, will pick some up tomorrow then it's time to go ham and swap 3 more tires this weekend. 

Hands down best tire lubricant I've used is ruglyde. Made the job much easier most likely because that what it's made for. Napa carries it, about  $20 for a big ass jug. Use plenty. Like mentioned in another post a couple 2x4's can make for a decent bead breaker just be sure not to put pressure on your rotors. I've done a dozen or so with my harbor freight set up and it's pretty handy. 

All tires swapped and all wheels back on both bikes. Will probably stick with Q3 on the street triple and PP3 on the Ducati. Might have to try out Pilot Roads after the Q3's are done though, seems a few people on this forum run PR4s. Would like to see what mileage I could get out of a set. 

Pulled everything off the top of the bike trying to find my coolant leak. It's a very slow leak but a leak non the less. 

I already did this once this spring and thought I found the culprit with a slightly loose hose clamp. Sadly that is not the case. FML. 

Pulled the air box and carbs. Carbs sent to a fella in Arizona for complete disassembly, dip, all new o-rings & gaskets and reassembly with jet kit. Entire brake and clutch system pulled. Working on caliper and master rebuild along with new lines. Body work ready to paint and with a little luck will be pearl white this time tomorrow.