What did you do to your bike today?

JustinNck1

On July 2, 2017 at 7:23 PM, CrazySkullCrusher said:

You do know that air is an insulator right? 

Just wondering? If air is an insulator as you stated. Why do they bother to put a vacuum in thermos bottles?  Here is you answer.

http://wonderopolis.org/wonder/how-does-a-thermos-work

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Air is an insulator. Its why you have at least double pane windows  Everything is an insulator. A sheet of Renolyds aluminum foil is an insulator. A vacuum is a better insulator than air.

Mobil One is an insulator too.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Hellmutt said:

I believe KTM did this to allow a smaller crankcase on the old bigbore.   Not sure the later model SMC's share the same design or not, but I'm not a fan - just more leak points in my opinion.....but I only have to change it every other season, so it's not a deal breaker

LOL!  Sorry to hear you had the usual baptism of oil when doing your first oil change. It takes a bit of technique/experience to avoid a mini Exxon Valdez episode. Now that you've done it once the next time will be much less messy. The 3rd generation 690 engine does away with the oil in the frame concept. Even the filters are easier to get at.  

Hope you have a enjoyable trip to Vintage. I plan on being there Saturday and may ride up Friday if I can get away from work at noon.

Hopefully will cya there.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, EOdesmo said:

LOL!  Sorry to hear you had the usual baptism of oil when doing your first oil change. It takes a bit of technique/experience to avoid a mini Exxon Valdez episode. Now that you've done it once the next time will be much less messy. The 3rd generation 690 engine does away with the oil in the frame concept. Even the filters are easier to get at.  

Hope you have a enjoyable trip to Vintage. I plan on being there Saturday and may ride up Friday if I can get away from work at noon.

Hopefully will cya there.

I was hoping to break that trend and get through it with minor drippage, even took my sweet time, but the cartridge cover gasket dilemma had my OCD pinging bigtime since I'd torn the old one, did a little anaerobic sealant rebuild on it, reinstalled....THEN I found the spare you gave me.  Which, in "anal bastard" is code for tear it down and replace it again LOL....so by then, all my fucks were used up and I got careless with cleanliness

Hit me up once you get to the track man, wife and I will be there all 3 days

Edited by Hellmutt

2 hours ago, Al Z. Heimer said:

Just wondering? If air is an insulator as you stated. Why do they bother to put a vacuum in thermos bottles?  Here is you answer.

http://wonderopolis.org/wonder/how-does-a-thermos-work

Compromises. In what container would a vacuum be comfortable to sleep on

Edited by motocat12

Gave the old girl an ABSectomy  2003 bmw with the servo linked abs system.{the one everyone complains about} The module was giving me fits worked about half the time  think it was going bad by what i read in the net. 

2500 plus for a new one plus install and complicated bleeding of the system {I tried it once ended up at the dealer to reset the brains} or half to remove and send off for rebuild

Did some research and deleted the whole system. Now I have to learn to ride a bike with regular brakes, that system made me lazy. You could  just stomp on the rear brake pedal and you get anti lock front and rear .But good stopping distance though. Worked out good pretty  easy job  and getting used to the brakes now that they are separate and not anti lock.

watched some videos on you tube and read a few form posts on it now I am a you tube certified mechanic. LOL

FLAME  AWAY!

• Upvote 1

Changed my oil today and put the proper amount in it at the time of change for the first time in 3 years. Long story, well not long but "first rule of fight club". Oh yea also re glued my left grip since its been spinning on me the last 10k miles. 

7 hours ago, Tonik said:

Air is an insulator. Its why you have at least double pane windows  Everything is an insulator. A sheet of Renolyds aluminum foil is an insulator. A vacuum is a better insulator than air.

Mobil One is an insulator too.

Usually not air in between your double-pane Windows....unless you have a leak!!!

17 hours ago, JustinNck1 said:

Rode to work this morning. Wishing I was outside on the bike. Here is a pic from yesterday's ride. Some of you may know where this is at.

20170702_120351.thumb.jpg.8f7844fdf3dddb84ed5d40699ac4e6f7.jpg

Is that Keidash point?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JustinNck1 said:

Changed both tires on the FJR today. Almost ready for my trip next weekend. Gotta start packing.

Did you get good mileage out of the roadsmart 3's

9 hours ago, Killer_kaw said:

Did you get good mileage out of the roadsmart 3's

At 5k miles, the rear was almost into the wear bars, and the front was a little better. I am leaving Friday for a 2500 mile trip, so I didn't want to risk needing a tire while on the road. I probably could have got another 2k or so out of them. In comparison, I got 4500 out of a PR4GT Front and 7500 out of the rear, but it lost its shape at 2k miles and kept getting worse. The Roadsmarts keep their shape and felt the shape through the whole life of the tire. The Roadsmarts are my favorite tire for the FJR, I have this last set of T30s and a half used set of T30s, then I will go back to the Roadsmarts.

Debating on ordering a set of CRG lane splitter mirrors, new rage cycles front turn signals and fender eliminator for the bike. Would clean it up a lot but not sure if it is worth $400 just for a few cosmetic upgrades. 

1 hour ago, Isaac's Papa said:

Right. Totally not the 1000cc engine in the bike. Lol

I get where you are going with this. But a less aggressive reel is going to help with mid-corner throttle control and allowing me to drive out more smoothly. The bike really isnt that bad until you stand her up and let her rip. Then she wants to rip ya nipples off.

Never got to the fork rebuild. Maybe next year.

Took the vintage Honda to my dad's place in tallmadge for a visit Monday. Got rained on for about half of the ride home. Either something shorted out in the ignition circuits or my velocity stacks sucked a ton of water because I was running on 2 cylinders pretty much the whole time. Not having a front fender probably didn't help if it was electrical. Planning on getting it up to operating temp and shooting the hose at various places to see what it doesn't like. Worked with the wife....