What did you do to your bike today?

JustinNck1

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love how the what have you done thread has turned into ride reports.

I bought my XR650 back and I’ve been busy unfucking it, adding bar risers, replacing the shitty Chinese levers and the taillight melted by the too large bulb and the fact the brake light was always on due to the shitty Chinese levers. 

72AF83F5-2F62-4104-B9FF-3F529EF88410.jpeg

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Tonik said:

I think it is great you got your old bike back.

Yeah I have a love-hate relationship with that thing. It’s a fun bike to ride but it’s a heavy pig and it broke my fucking leg!

i’ll probably sell it again in the spring when everybody’s tax return rich. 

I had to attend a meeting in Mount Vernon today. Great excuse to get better acquainted with the Goldwing. 
WsA1Ig0.jpg

Nobody ever mentioned the lack of wind on your face behind the a Goldwing fairing. Hence the old man open face helmet. 
2w0nmiB.jpg

I drug some hard parts multiple times on left handers.  I think it’s the center stand. You can see shiny metal on the front edge of the foot to the center stand. Scary stuff. I increased the preload and it seemed to help but I still touched down. It’s a bit unnerving when it drags because it doesn’t fold up like a peg does. I’m not sure what’s up. A Google search doesn’t turn up anything so I’m guessing it’s not common. 
D5UPECR.jpg

qOtAzlf.jpg

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Pauly said:

I used to drag the centerstand on the Multistrada until it scraped enough material away that it was no longer an issue. Just do that. :lol:

I thought about taking a grinder to it. It scares the crap out of me because she stops turning and starts to run wide. 

How quick were you moving? I would scrape pegs on the Vulcan and Goldwing in tighter corners, but nothing excessive. 2-up at the gap proved to be a fireworks show of floorboard grinding, but that has to be expected on a fully dressed Harley wannabe. 

You can slow down for tighter turns, grind the stand or upgrade your suspension. My personal favorite is the latter, but it isn't my money. 

It was a fast pace for a heavy tourer for sure, but I would prefer to scrape a peg over the stand. The first time it happened I felt just a little scrape. I wasn’t sure what it was. The second time it happened I felt the rear end get very disturbed. I then recognized I had an issue. With the Concours when I touched down with a peg I could easily lean out and continue a line. When that stand touches there isn’t much to adjusting a line you just kinda go straight. It’s a good thing I was running tight to the center on the second touch down and the final one. Let’s just say there may be more than one skidmark. One on the road and I won’t mention where the other might be. 

Edited by durk

Go over here and ask about the scraping.

https://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/

Bunch of grumpy old fart prudes over there that will say slow down, but you will get some that will help figure it out. 

No air is the norm on the old gen wings. The old fart prudes like that for some reason. You can get wings to go under the mirrors and on the side fairings to push wind at you.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Pauly said:

Pulled the phone charger and reinstalled the Garmin. I couldn't look at it without wishing it wasn't there. 

Goldwing

Edited by Tonik
  • Beer 1

On 7/16/2022 at 1:15 PM, Tonik said:

@Wahoo @Connie14

Any thoughts on Durks dragging issue?

On 7/15/2022 at 10:57 PM, durk said:

I had to attend a meeting in Mount Vernon today. Great excuse to get better acquainted with the Goldwing. 
WsA1Ig0.jpg

Nobody ever mentioned the lack of wind on your face behind the a Goldwing fairing. Hence the old man open face helmet. 
2w0nmiB.jpg

I drug some hard parts multiple times on left handers.  I think it’s the center stand. You can see shiny metal on the front edge of the foot to the center stand. Scary stuff. I increased the preload and it seemed to help but I still touched down. It’s a bit unnerving when it drags because it doesn’t fold up like a peg does. I’m not sure what’s up. A Google search doesn’t turn up anything so I’m guessing it’s not common. 
D5UPECR.jpg

qOtAzlf.jpg

The previous owner pf our Wong was significantly larger than I am, and he upgraded the suspension on the bike. My experience with the suspension may differ from yours.

We used to ride with the preload set at 10, but we were dragging pegs too often. 

We have our pre-load adjusted to at least 20 to help minimize the grinding.  Then the grinding is usually just the pegs.   We will occasionally grind the mounting hardware for the highway pegs in the mountains, but what are you going to do?

Try riding with the preload all the way to the max and see if that improves things.  Your welcome to try my Wing to see if the feels the same.

18 minutes ago, Connie14 said:

Try riding with the preload all the way to the max and see if that improves things.

I originally had preload set at 18. I cranked it to the max of 25 and it helped but I still drug the center stand. Granted it was a section of road I know really well and I was pushing it. If it was pegs grinding I’d be fine with that but the center stand unweights the rear tire and scares the crap out of me. Thanks for chiming in. I have a feeling that stand is going to meet my grinder soon. 

28 minutes ago, durk said:

I originally had preload set at 18. I cranked it to the max of 25 and it helped but I still drug the center stand. Granted it was a section of road I know really well and I was pushing it. If it was pegs grinding I’d be fine with that but the center stand unweights the rear tire and scares the crap out of me. Thanks for chiming in. I have a feeling that stand is going to meet my grinder soon. 

When the dragging starts messing with the rear wheel, you got to be careful. I can look at my center stand, but I don't think that I have had it drag.   It's probably due to the stiffer suspension. 

Screenshot 2022-07-18 120022.png

• Upvote 1

If you don't need your centerstand when you're away from home, take it off.  It's not like you need to lift the rear to lube the chain on a wing!

I don't ride a wing, but my centerstand sits in the corner of the garage when not in use.  It takes 2 minutes to put it on the bike finger tight when I need to get the rear wheel off the ground.

• Upvote 1

Spyder lady and I returned from our Little Switzerland, NC. 13-18th. trip yesterday afternoon. "1623miles total" just missing the rain by minutes. We decided to blast back 429miles via Interstate 77&64 to beat the rain and not do a overnight in-route. Had a great time riding the curves of the NC/TN area with local knowledge routes set up by the "MSTA" org. The Big Lyn Lodge was fan f'in fantastic with great meals and accommodations. MSTA provided a great local classic rock band outside overlooking the mountains on Saturday night that caused me to over consume the wine and beer, but I was still able to dance outside with Spyder lady while wearing flip flop's. We road over to Erwin, TN. area to visit the Unaka Mountain Overlook, that I found when I road the Smokey Mountain 1000 adventure section. So I was able to make it up to the top on the Z1K but Spyder made it 3/4 and waited for me to get the photo. FYI, Erwin, TN. is another good base to do ADV stuff. Great time. The Z1k work well with soft bags strapped on we had no issues.

100_1056.JPG Burkes Garten, VA..JPG BRparkway.JPG Spyder girl..JPG Unaka Mountin Overlook, TN. 37692.JPG

Edited by B-Mac
bm
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MSerfozo said:

If you don't need your centerstand when you're away from home, take it off.  It's not like you need to lift the rear to lube the chain on a wing!

I don't ride a wing, but my centerstand sits in the corner of the garage when not in use.  It takes 2 minutes to put it on the bike finger tight when I need to get the rear wheel off the ground.

I thought of this. My only concern was it could come in handy on a trip if there were issues. 

1 minute ago, durk said:

I thought of this. My only concern was it could come in handy on a trip if there were issues. 

Your choices are limited. Slow down. Pony up for suspension. Remove (or modify) the center stand. 

7 hours ago, Pauly said:

Your choices are limited. Slow down. Pony up for suspension. Remove (or modify) the center stand. 

You missed the best option. Get an 18+. Faster, more ground clearance and better suspension. Pegs drag way before anything else.

• Upvote 3