What did you do to your bike today?

JustinNck1

I attempted to seal up my oil leak with new crush washers and a smear of Hylomar on all sealing surfaces.  I'm always nervous torquing those 14mm hollow aluminum banjo bolts but all seemed to go well.  No test rides yet due to the rainy weekend.

In the meantime, the guy who built my engine mentioned that it can get hot in traffic.  I remembered that his donor bike had 2 oil temp gauges, one for oil going to the oil cooler and one for oil coming from the cooler back into the sump.  So I ordered a gauge pod and fabbed an intermediate bracket to mount the pod to.  I got the gauges mounted today. 

Eventually, I'll probably remove one on the oil gauges and mount the O2 gauge I got from the donor bike.  That'll be an off season project because I'll need a bung added to my exhaust pipe.

2022-09-05 17.42.20.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Installed a new bracket to mount the gps where I don't have to stare at my feet to read it. I also ditched the OEM saddle for a new Sargent. Original would become uncomfortable after 300+ miles. My buddy's RT has a Sargent. I did a 700 mile day in that saddle and never got sore. Hopeful for similar results on my bike.

20220908_133918.jpg

20220908_134000.jpg

20220826_172839.jpg

20220826_172851.jpg

• Beer 1
  • Upvote 1

Yesterday I helped a friend with tires.  He has a CBR1000 and some sort of H-D with a 19" skinny tire on a spoked rim with a tube.  🤮

He said the CBR front was feeling wonky at speed so we balanced it.  There were four 5g weights on the opposite side from where they needed to be.  I'm so happy I don't have to count on a shop to do my tires.

Then we put a new tire & tube on the Harley rim.  What a pain tubes are.  The wheel had a 1oz chrome (of course) weight that fits on a spoke so we took that off to check balance.  We needed that 1oz and another 1oz of stick on weights to get it balanced!

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Rode it 200 miles to play in the Hocking Hills with a riding buddy who just retired 2 weeks ago.  It's great being able to ride on weekdays!  We got a late start because it was 39 deg this morning - waited til it was 60 deg at 11:00 to head out because we're both retired and don't have to hurry anymore!

Hit 374, 664, 56, 278, 691, and Big Pine Rd and had lunch at Tammy's Country Kitchen in Nelsonville.  Traffic was non-existent until after 4 or so on the way home.

I still have a very slight leak.  😩  I tied a piece of cloth around the joint and it didn't leak any more than to soak into the rag.  Bike and my leg stayed clean.  I gotta come up with a way to seal this thing!

2022-10-05 20.37.46.jpg

20 hours ago, Tonik said:

New bolt and emery the other surfaces?

The bolt head's surface seems good, no leak there.  Leak seems to be coming from the cylinder  head side, either between the head and the crush washer or the crush washer and the oiler bar.  The 2 holes in the head are supposed to be flat, but more important, they have to be parallel - so I'm very reluctant to do anything to alter it.

What I'd like to find is a sealing washer that's a bit softer than Cu and Al so it can comply to mate the surfaces.  If read that heating Cu until it's red, then cooling slowly will soften it some.

In the meantime, the bandage is working to let me ride.  I put on a new one and rode to see my parents in Nerk today, the new rag has a good 100 miles of absorbency left in it.  I always thought my old bike would become a ratfighter before I finished it - the oily rag fits the look.

Edited by MSerfozo

22 hours ago, B-Mac said:

Great day for riding. Colors are in and traffic was low today

Rode 200 miles in your neck of the woods today, B-Mac.  I looked at the weather forecast and we're supposed to have 2 days of rain followed by highs in the 50s.  Today was my last chance for a while.

• Upvote 1

Same here. when it's near 70deg's I'm riding.
Tuesday we rode 278 out of Nellsonville to 56 S. jumped on 356 to Mineral and then rode 261 all the way south to Reedsville at the river. Don't ride 261 often but it's been repaved in some areas and repaired in other spots. Great country road to ride south on. We then headed north on 124 along the river to Little Hocking and 555, 676, 376 McConnelsville "Lunch" and 669 back home. Great weather and the Fall colors are great in spots. We took a break at the Bellville Locks & Dam off 124. Clean rest rooms and park area.
101_0100.JPG
  • Upvote 3

Replaced the right side oil temp gauge with an O2 gauge and removed the oil sender and put a plug in its place.  I did some repair work to the O2 sensor cable so it's ready to go when I get a bung in my exhaust pipe.  Has anybody ever used a clamp on bung for an O2 sensor?  If I have to weld one in, it'll probably be this winter before I take it down that far.

Picture 1 of 5

2022-10-14 17.30.39.jpg

Since nobody said the clamp on bung was crap, I ordered one from GlowShift (free shipping saved me $7 so I got it on ebay).  It mounted up just as I hoped and I just finished wiring the sensor in and went for a test ride.

While shopping on ebay, I fell peril to an impulse buy...  I found master cylinder socks to fit my RCS19 M/Cs.  So much for saving $7 on shipping, but I do think they look badass!

2022-10-21 16.13.24.jpg

• Beer 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Tonik said:

The clamp on bung is crap.

Zero experience with them, just seemed like someone needed to say that.

Wouldn't feel like OR if somebody didn't! 

Also can't believe I've posted the word "bung" 3 times without Beavis commenting.  Are we maturing?