What did you do to your bike today?

JustinNck1

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Completed the tire change on the CBR. Once again no wheel weights and she runs smooth up to at least 120. Dunlap for sure has some mold release agent on the tire. I left the drive for my test run, with no lean I grabbed a bit of throttle and immediately torched the rear. 
Dka4jbD.jpgk0Pjixp.jpg

I also set out to figure out what is trying to killer me when I lean the wing over hard. I discovered it. Should have been obvious since they are the objects farthest out. Stacked boards clear everything else with ease. @Tonik I know this is not exactly what you were doing at the lumberyard but you gave me an idea. Thanks. 
L8kZ4Kt.jpghA5hZ3v.jpg

Edited by durk
  • Beer 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, durk said:

I know this is not exactly what you were doing at the lumberyard but you gave me an idea. Thanks. 

Yea, highway pegs are hard on Wings. They always drag. Only thing I have seen that is for sure safe are Mic O Pegs. Out of business but maybe you can find some used.

I took my pegs off. Not putting them back on.

• Upvote 2

Chromectomy complete. I tried to remove some of the plastic wood trim from the rear storage compartments, but it is glued on like linoleum. Looks like I am learning to live with it, which isn't my favorite activity. Oh, well... it isn't hateful. I will live.

It's still the same Goldwing, just less shiny.

20230608_124914.jpg

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, Pauly said:

Chromectomy complete. I tried to remove some of the plastic wood trim from the rear storage compartments, but it is glued on like linoleum. Looks like I am learning to live with it, which isn't my favorite activity. Oh, well... it isn't hateful. I will live.

It's still the same Goldwing, just less shiny.

20230608_124914.jpg

Could you wrap the wood grain in black? I’ve never wrapped anything but maybe worth a shot. Do those rotor covers come off? Could eliminate some more chrome pretty quick I’d think. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, durk said:

Could you wrap the wood grain in black? I’ve never wrapped anything but maybe worth a shot. Do those rotor covers come off? Could eliminate some more chrome pretty quick I’d think. 

I considered vinyl for the faux wood, but I'm just going to let it ride. The rotor covers are OEM and don't bother me, plus they hold the LED Ring of Fire.. which I like. It was all the extra chrome that was added to the bike that didn't suit me.  With the exception of the passenger kick panels on the panniers and the arm rest mounts, and the luggage rack, the remainder of the chrome is how it left the plant in Marysville. 

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, Tonik said:

Yea, highway pegs are hard on Wings. They always drag. Only thing I have seen that is for sure safe are Mic O Pegs. Out of business but maybe you can find some used.

I took my pegs off. Not putting them back on.

I’ve grown to like the highway pegs. With the wife on board we typically are just cruising around at 65ish on a 2 lane and corner pretty slow. Those highway pegs make me a little more laid back. I did adjust them up a bit today. Definitely gained some clearance. Hopefully no more touchdowns as long as they’re in the upright position. Even with her on board I typically flip them up for twisties. 
v37z1Zh.jpglO6Th36.jpgik0lwiW.jpg

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, AlanSmith7 said:

Man, that's a machine to do die for. Looks amazing. Are these racks from the Viking Bags?

I don't believe so. I'm not able to select a Goldwing on their website. Looks like cruiser stuff. Knowing the PO's M.O., I am guessing Show Chrome or Honda. He farkles with quality stuff. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/29/2023 at 8:05 PM, Pauly said:

I just cant help myself. I removed the silver switch box on the clutch master cylinder and pulled the wires. Now that it has the uber LEDs, I don't need that. Replaced the chrome speaker covers for OEM for aesthetic reasons. No more cigarette lighter. Now it's sporting a BMW plug that will be wired directly to the battery for heated gear (lol..as if I will ever need that), battery tender and a 12v USB charger. 

I have hardware on the way to lose the CB mic mount that I will never use. I am also doing a little more chromectomy surgery, but am almost ready to leave it alone. 

20230529_194218.jpg

20230529_194213.jpg

20230529_181154.jpg

Love how it is looking.

1 hour ago, Pauly said:

450+ miles on the RS today. New handlebar is awesome. So much more nimble and flickable, plus all day comfort. That is how it should come from BMW. 

Super fun ride today.  Thanks for coming out 👍

• Beer 2

Installed some very basic accessories. The throttle rocker just helps my wrist so much and makes my throttle smoother. Took it out for a spin and I am starting to get back to the FJR handling characteristics. Still plenty to improve on...

353074096_165359556400963_5687507153632203961_n.thumb.jpg.e6012f77a10d9c06502766cceba91d34.jpg

353077173_585038613776799_5554426346600084567_n.thumb.jpg.59daa37727a917c5d8199cff921a78b2.jpg

• Upvote 1

On 6/8/2023 at 12:45 PM, Pauly said:

I don't believe so. I'm not able to select a Goldwing on their website. Looks like cruiser stuff. Knowing the PO's M.O., I am guessing Show Chrome or Honda. He farkles with quality stuff. 

Sad, I have been using their saddlebags (https://www.vikingbags.com/motorcycle-harley-saddlebags.htm) on my harley for so long. Always liked the durability and the product quality.

Has anyone ever tried installing a throttle control on a 2014 goldwing (no cruise, abs, trunk navigation reverse) version?

I am looking for DIY project of creating some kind of throttle response control which would act as cruise control obviously it will not be like a adaptive one. Is there any aftermarket accessory available for such purpose? or has anyone ever tried it?

Found this https://www.mccruise.com/en-us/products/honda-gold-wing-f6b-bagger-from-2013 but paying a $1000 bucks for this would not be a wise move. I am thinking for creating some kind of plastic ring which I can put on the accerlator, tighten it up and anchor with the switch assembly. You can then simply place the anchor on at your desire speed, simply remove the anchor when braking. Any better ideas or issue with this one? Please advise.

34 minutes ago, AlanSmith7 said:

. I am thinking for creating some kind of plastic ring which I can put on the accerlator, tighten it up and anchor with the switch assembly. You can then simply place the anchor on at your desire speed, simply remove the anchor when braking.

They call those throttle locks. I believe Atlas makes one for that bike.

https://www.atlasthrottlelock.com/

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, AlanSmith7 said:

Got it, thanks for the quick response

Another option I just remembered. These are cheap and I have been told they work well. You set it by putting the long end against the brake lever.

You just have to adjust it so the tension isn't too high so you can manually roll off the throttle.

https://www.amazon.com/Go-Cruise-GC-A1BK-Universal-Throttle/dp/B00ERXG4TM/ref=pd_aw_ci_mcx_mh_ci_mcx_mr_bw_mh_m_andr_web_sspa_mw_detail_2?pd_rd_w=xRzMh&content-id=amzn1.sym.33b4a6f1-821a-4d36-a511-3308bbb704da&pf_rd_p=33b4a6f1-821a-4d36-a511-3308bbb704da&pf_rd_r=66VZHVV8SHRQP16PTMAD&pd_rd_wg=tjL8T&pd_rd_r=5aac32e9-681f-4a76-8463-2be365f94147&pd_rd_i=B00ERXG4TM

Edited by Tonik

it might get stuck with the brake lever would be hard to disengage as well. I am thinking to create something which will disconnet it automatically when brakes applied. I recently got this machince so dont know much about the electronics but I am sure there will be a wire somewhere which controls the accerlator we can then create some kind of switches with the brakes to send signal to ecu to cut power to the accerlator wire and then put it back when we leave the brake levers. It will cost around $10 but a lot more brain storming. I know it can be done as I have done the same with the harley 883 and it worked perfectly fine.

Edited by AlanSmith7

They do not get stuck. You just roll the throttle tube forward as you reach for the brake lever. There isn't enough friction to overcome the power of your wrist. A smooth throttle tube is key for the best operating condition. 

• Like 1