JustinNck1

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, snot said:

@Pauly

How did the old belt look?

They looked fine, which is why I didn't bother inspecting them before ordering a new set. Timing belts deteriorate from the inside and you can't see the threads to inspect them. Peace of mind cost me $50 and two hours of getting to know the bike. Money well spent. 

Jim and I rode to lunch today and went through the valley. It handles alright for a big bike and I figured out the "weak" brake issue. There is nothing wrong with the bike. I just misunderstood "integrated brakes" for "linked brakes". The front lever only pressurizes the right front caliper. The rear brake pedal pressurizes the front left caliper and rear caliper. I just have to get used to using the rear brake. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Pauly said:

I figured out the "weak" brake issue. There is nothing wrong with the bike. I just misunderstood "integrated brakes" for "linked brakes". The front lever only pressurizes the right front caliper. The rear brake pedal pressurizes the front left caliper and rear caliper. I just have to get used to using the rear brake. 

Do you know if this is true for all Goldwings?

1 hour ago, durk said:

What year is yours? There are several variations on how it works. Yours is certainly different than his, and mine is different than yours.

3 hours ago, durk said:

Page 123 of your Owner Manual states the front lever operates the front brakes and a portion of the rear. The rear pedal operates the rear and a portion of the front. 

Screenshot (72).png

• Upvote 1

This is what I found for the GL1800. Crazy stuff to me, but it explains why I always feel the need to use both brakes when 2 up. 
h073ETf.jpg
Thanks @Pauly for the edumacation. 

Edited by durk
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Tonik said:

What year is yours? There are several variations on how it works. Yours is certainly different than his, and mine is different than yours.

Basically, Honduh over-engineered shit to the point of lunacy on these bikes. If I had the energy to strip it down and separate the brake system, I would. It's just easier to push the rear brake pedal every time I want the front brakes to function. :lol:

• Haha 2

Love the damn thing... I like it for just ez local backroad 45mph cruzing. Soak in the sun and scenery, and relax.

Just got it back together after a 3 year chrome it, bling it project, wheels, forks plus guts upgrades, calipers, and a hundred other things I have forgoten about. 

I always have had some kinda cruzer bike, and then some type of sport bike. One to relax and one for my hair on fire in the twists.  I do have the itch for something new... (no BMW for me. )

Edited by mello dude

The other evening I installed a new windscreen (only one of a half dozen if history tells us anything). The vent is on the way. I also added some stack to the brake pedal so it doesn't feel as foreign. It made a positive difference.

Today, my cousin swung by to visit and we opted to install the LED driving lights while consuming fermented beverages. I am a fan of the LEDs and will be updating the headlight next. 

20230422_172813.jpg

20230418_175551.jpg

20230422_171906.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

This little light of mine... I'm gonna' let it shine...

First two pics are the new LEDS, on "Low". Last pic is OEM on "Low". Pretty good upgrade and it was all plug and play. Took about 20 minutes. 

Next up? Suspension. :)

20230501_111834.jpg

20230501_111931.jpg

20230501_103754.jpg

• Upvote 3