What did you do to your bicycle today?

motocat12

Scored a Louis Garneau Course road Helmet.  Supposed to be one of the top aero vented lids out. From the top view it looks solid. Also minimal mushrooming. Also, also, matches my frame.

2013-LG-Course-Aero-Helmet-weights-detai

Edited by motocat12
  • Upvote 1

74mi  round trip to cedarville with a gorge hike @2talltim on mossy rocks in bike shoes.

Turns out arrester beds don't work as well for bikes. hit this rock on the trail ~17mph lost my grip and went into the loose ditch. grabbed a bullhorn grip and couldn't reach the brakes or steer and finally washed out. I probably should have moved the rock.

drank 3 water bottles came in 5 lbs lighter

c1.jpg

c2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Me and the Mrs. took a stroll on the Virginia Beach Boardwalk today. Got soaked on the way back but it actually felt good. Going back out once this 2 lb burrito and 3 Dos Equis I drank at the local Mexican joint passes a bit.

20170617_125713.thumb.jpg.330d1d797a7495767a7569c83c772bd4.jpg20170617_125814.thumb.jpg.5bcc1924642edc184f9c2e4f2720a318.jpg20170617_125521.thumb.jpg.f36f604301fe1b5d7599ab921fe03ba2.jpg

• Upvote 2

I raced my bike in the time trial at my local trail system. 

There were no beginners last week, and only two older guys this week. I wanted someone to actually race, and I preferred the 6 mile course to the 4.5 mile beginner course, so I raced "expert" despite being anything but. 

One of the expert women (there were only two) told me "we're going to start ahead of you, since you don't have a 'real' bike."

she was joking, but I hope I beat her bitch-ass... I caught and passed her friend, which means I was at least 60 seconds faster. Didn't catch the woman who started 120 seconds ahead of me, but I may still have beaten her. Fingers crossed. Times will be published tomorrow. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, redkow97 said:

I raced my bike in the time trial at my local trail system. 

There were no beginners last week, and only two older guys this week. I wanted someone to actually race, and I preferred the 6 mile course to the 4.5 mile beginner course, so I raced "expert" despite being anything but. 

One of the expert women (there were only two) told me "we're going to start ahead of you, since you don't have a 'real' bike."

she was joking, but I hope I beat her bitch-ass... I caught and passed her friend, which means I was at least 60 seconds faster. Didn't catch the woman who started 120 seconds ahead of me, but I may still have beaten her. Fingers crossed. Times will be published tomorrow. 

Hmm, maybe I should come out next week. I'm sure I could take last spot :D

I agree with you 4.5 miles hardly seems long enough to bother with. 

However your bike is much closer to a 'real' bike than my original model Pugsley. Steel frame, non-suspension corrected, offset front and rear 135mm hubs and you have to loosen the rear brake bracket to remove the wheel. :D Its a great bike!!!

On 6/17/2017 at 9:50 PM, 2talltim said:

4 trips down and back on the 3 mile boardwalk today.  So that's 18 miles on the pedal machines. Last one was a nice night ride with all the lights on the boardwalk.  

3 mile RT = 6 miles x 4 = 24 miles!!!  Even better.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Isaac's Papa said:

6 mile time-trial on the bike trail and someone's giving you the "real bike" business? What an asshole. 

Upon further investigation, I am more convinced she isn't a bitch, and was truly joking, but it did fire me up.

Unless she was borrowing her (quite serious and expensive XC bike), the name/flag decal on her frame suggests that she finished second in the women's division two weeks ago, but that would have put her 15th in the men's division...  Still hoping i beat her, but I'm not optimistic.

The loop we rode is the same one I did 3 times last Saturday, but the opposite direction, so my 34 minute lap from my weekend ride is faster than her, but when you reverse the loop, you're taking the fast downhill trail and turning it into a long, gradual climb.  That said, I had ridden 12 miles before I set that time, so I should have been fresher yesterday.

I set PRs in every strava segment i logged, so it's a personal victory regardless - I pushed myself.  My Strava time is 39 minutes, but I started the GPS early (so i wouldn't forget), and was pedaling around the start area to warm up and figure out which gear was best for a standing start, to accelerate to the trailhead.  I assume that 39 minutes is my total moving time, but I don't know how much will be 'cut off' before my official time started. 

I know the trail, but it's weird to take certain parts as fast as possible.  I nearly bit it in the gravel next to the road.  turned left, and my front tire nearly slid out.  I'm usually stopping there to make sure no cars are coming.  With the road blocked for the TT, I was accelerating to pass the woman ahead of me while we were on the road, and before we entered the second trail.  (she was way cool about being passed, btw - after laughing at my bike, she was cheering me on to chase down her friend).

• Upvote 1

Very cool! I want to do one of these, but always told myself I try to go fast through the woods all the time so whats the point of paying to do so. I didn't know you actually had rabbits you could chase down! Sounds much more appealing. Will there be one next week assuming weather holds off?

8 minutes ago, jhawk said:

Very cool! I want to do one of these, but always told myself I try to go fast through the woods all the time so whats the point of paying to do so. I didn't know you actually had rabbits you could chase down! Sounds much more appealing. Will there be one next week assuming weather holds off?

Next week is the last.  it's a series of 3, with your fastest 2 times added together for your final 'score.'

I missed the first one and I won't make next week.  I had intended to ride the 15th (cancelled) and the 22nd, but I'm busy the 29th.

$15 https://www.clevelandmetroparks.com/parks/programs-events/2017/mill-stream-run-reservation/mountain-bike-time-trials-2-1?instance=42178

I consider it a donation to the park, and incentive for them to do more events like this.  $20 if you register 'late.'

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, redkow97 said:

33:46!

that's about 2 minutes faster than I was expecting, AND I beat the "comedienne," who clocked 34:10 (which is over a minute faster than her last time)

Congrats!  Is there a way you can message her and point this out?

• Upvote 1

On 6/23/2017 at 7:17 PM, Tonik said:

Congrats!  Is there a way you can message her and point this out?

In my mind, she hasn't slept since she saw the result sheet.

I probably can't ride on Thursday (although I'm trying to find a sitter, now) and I will manage to say something along the lines of "just think how much i could have beaten you by if i had a 'real' bike!"

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, redkow97 said:

In my mind, she hasn't slept since she saw the result sheet.

I probably can't ride on Thursday (although I'm trying to find a sitter, now) and I will manage to say something along the lines of "just think how much i could have beaten you by if i had a 'real' bike!"

If it means you stomp her, I'm tempted to babysit for you. :lol:

:lol: Thanks.  I've gotta email my dad now.  He should be free.

Plus now I know how long this should take me, and what I'm I'll be home - I might even just bring th ekids to teh trail and have my dad watch them for 33 mins while I ride, then drive them home myself.  I was done before 7:30 last time, and there was a delayed start because of the prior week's cancellation (a lot of people showed up expecting to transfer their entry, but they had already processed refunds).