What did you do to your bicycle today?

motocat12

Went to flip the stem on the dirt jumper and the cap bolt just spun. Stripped from factory. So instead of going to Rays on thursday, I had to drill out the old bolt and take the entire front end off the bike. Good news is that a new star nut was only $2. Most likely hitting up Rays tomorrow night. 

Edited by ludwb675

13 hours ago, motocat12 said:

I ordered 3 of the wrong size tubes and was sent 2 of the wrong and 1 of the right.

20"x  1 1/2 is 2" larger diameter than 20"x 1.5

When you are dealing with those less common sizes always check the ISO bead diameter. I learned that when I had a BikeE recumbent with ISO 305 (16") and ISO 406 (20") wheels. For some reason both 305 and 349 are both 16" and 305 and 351 are both 20" 🤯

I have those numbers down pat when they are available. But many sellers don't say or pass them off the same as my 1 correct one. I've argued over the dual existence with bikeshops before.The website box photo didn't say. The version of the box I got said 451 and i went, oh crap. again. thanks sunlite!

The 1/4" ones are easier. I don't even have 1/8 inch decimals memorized.

• 2 weeks later...

Got a professional fitting on the CX bike last Friday.  Ordered a spare 700c tube. 

Road Apple Roubaix Saturday. Been mostly working on myself until then.  Need to test ride the CX bike with the new cassette, but it’s shifting well on the stand. 

replacing a worn out chain and a new 10s 11-32 cassette on the roadie. Matched with a compact crank. I remember when I weighed less and rode 53/36 x9s 11-23  and only the MTB had  a 32t cassette.

Also got a seat bracket for another fwd bent build finally.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The through-axle on my fat bike is seized to the threaded grommet, and the grommet is rotating in the fork “dropout.”

i haven’t drilled it to hold the grommet in place so i can remove the axle yet, but i did order a Chinese carbon fork yesterday. 

I will drill and hack the current fork AFTER the new one arrives. Still riding the bike as is until then.  I just wanted to swap my tires!

• 2 months later...

Never posted my lunch ride boot bike build up. 7 speed megarange. I need a chain keeper for the high gear. I'm a big fan of the spring saddle mounts when riding over cracks.  I ordered another for my road bike via ebay/amazon/failed kickstarter. Better than the carbon leaf spring post.

I have it at the least leverage at 205lb may put a preload band on it to cut some bounce.

image.png.f4ae947188e4bc23b5778febff53368e.png

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tiagra crankset installed. Just needs a slightly longer stem to be really comfortable. I am a little cramped in the hoods. 

Overall...  I really like this bike. The Mavics really livened it up. I need to put more seat time in on this beauty. 

20190808_200412.jpg

• Like 1

Rode the cranks off it. sumbishioned. Splines are gone, still flops when the bolt is cranked down. Looking for a set with no wave washer tension now.

Put the hurt on a rec group ride 10 days ago with 24mph pulls. It came off climbing out of an underpass a few miles into an uphill ride today.

image.thumb.png.c4850f4b47d1663a2c8d63ecf6448d8b.png

• 2 months later...

Finally figured out the drivetrain drag in the recumbent frameset i'm setting up wasn't the 2 chains, power idler, or multi axis return idler. Turns out 9sp FWD forks handmade by a 1 man company may not be 11sp compatible without modifications. The cassette lockring was rubbing a fork weld but the drag varied as it turned like a stuck chain link. 

Bought a new Norco Fluid FS2 this spring. The shock started sticking around 50% travel. Took it back to the lbs and they sent it to SRAM (Rockshox) for repair. 2 weeks later i get it back, they rebuilt the whole thing finding no reasons as to why it should be sticking. No marks or scratches. 

I take it out to ride the next day and it is still sticking..... It's been a week now since being sent back to them again. It was supposed to be 'expedited' this time but sure doesn't seem like it.

I feel like they should have just sent a new shock since it's still sticking and they couldn't find a reason the first time. I've lost a month of prime riding so far. I'll probably get it back just in time for daylight savings when i can't ride after work anymore. 

• 2 weeks later...