Changes in oil, for example Rotella T6

Tonik

So several oil companies have changed their formulations right around the end of last year, Rotella T6 is one of them.  They added molly to it, which as we all know is 'bad' on a wet clutch.

So check your favorite oil to be sure.

• Upvote 2

I know many who love T6, tried it in several bikes and just never could get over how notchy the transmission become over the first thousand miles.

We are getting to a point where only motorcycle specific oils come without molly.

• Upvote 3

51 minutes ago, Qman said:

And does it still claim compliance with JASO MA1 or MA2 standards?  I wonder.

http://rotella.shell.com/products/t6-full-synthetic.html

Oddly, it does still say it on the website.... but they have expanded the Rotella lineup so a little more digging might be in order. Maybe they didn't all get moly.

Screenshot_2017-03-13-12-44-38.png

OK doing a little research it looks like they just added one to their product line called "Rotella T6 multi vehicle" and still carry the regular "Rotella T6". The multi vehicle does not have the JASO MA1 or MA2 standards but the the old T6 looks like it still does. That was a quick search still need to look deeper into it.

• Upvote 2

OK just call Shell and talked to a lubricant tech guru and he informed me that the new formulation for the Rotella T6 will still be JASO MA1 or MA2 standard. And I ask about the PPM of moly that might be in it and he looked it up and said there is Zero in it. And shell recommends T6 for any wet clutch applications. And the new multi vehicle IS NOT made for wet clutches. If you want to hear it from the horses mouth here is the number to call. The guy said they are getting calls about this daily.

Have a Technical Question about a Shell Lubricant Product?

• 800-237-8645
Edited by 2talltim
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Howabusa said:

I just found out that Rocky Mountain sells Yamaha oil for less than $19 a gallon. Less than T6.

That's a decent deal but that probably Dinosaur Oil and not Synthetic isn't it?

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

OK just call Shell and talked to a lubricant tech guru and he informed me that the new formulation for the Rotella T6 will still be JASO MA1 or MA2 standard. And I ask about the PPM of moly that might be in it and he looked it up and said there is Zero in it. And shell recommends T6 for any wet clutch applications. If you want to hear it from the horses mouth here is the number to call. The guy said they are getting calls about this daily.

• 800-237-8645

Then they should fix their god damn website.  There is no MA1 or MA2 on the website.

http://rotella.shell.com/products/shell-rotella-t6-multi-vehicle-5w-30-full-synthetic-heavy-duty.html

And I started this thread because on another forum peeps are screaming about slipping clutches.

13 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

OK just call Shell and talked to a lubricant tech guru and he informed me that the new formulation for the Rotella T6 will still be JASO MA1 or MA2 standard. And I ask about the PPM of moly that might be in it and he looked it up and said there is Zero in it. And shell recommends T6 for any wet clutch applications. If you want to hear it from the horses mouth here is the number to call. The guy said they are getting calls about this daily.

• 800-237-8645

Thanks!  Must be kinda like "Liqui-Moly"...that doesn't contain any Moly!

4 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Then they should fix their god damn website.  There is no MA1 or MA2 on the website.

http://rotella.shell.com/products/shell-rotella-t6-multi-vehicle-5w-30-full-synthetic-heavy-duty.html

And I started this thread because on another forum peeps are screaming about slipping clutches.

That is the new multi vehicle version it is not made for wet clutches. Here is the one that is...

http://rotella.shell.com/products/t6-full-synthetic.html

Edited by 2talltim
  • Upvote 1

I'm back... with an official up-to-date list of which oils are JASO. March 2017 release.

http://www.jalos.or.jp/onfile/pdf/4T_EV_LIST.pdf

Don't forget that certifications are expensive, and not all oils do that. Some might simply says "meets the requirements". Which may or may not be true. And they won't be on this list.

Also: JASO MA1 is for 4 stroke engine, wet sump, wet clutch, combined transmission.

JASO MA2 is same, except better for catalytic convertors.

JASO MA is oil that meets part of MA1 and/or MA2, so gets just "MA" (or is dawn of time old).

And yes, Shell Rottela T6 is "crunchy/notchy" in the transmission quickly. It's not for me.

The short story... stick to the manufacturer's recommendation and their brand of oil. Second best, Repsol. Anything else, you're on your own; like me using Mobil 1 4T or Castrol stuff.

Edited by ReconRat
  • Upvote 4