Ride tales - Share your rides!

jhawk

1.5 laps at chestnut ridge. Not my favorite wall ride. it lifts a bit at the first tree then finishes straight and steep with debris in line and the trail going to the inside. I skidded it down and that's my track at the bottom edge. ordering a smaller chainring for the 1x11. I plan to ride a bunch of trails this summer if anyone is interested, scioto, morgantown wv, maybe western PA.  What's the best Cleveland trail worth a 2 hr drive? I haven't ridden past vultures knob from columbus.

image.thumb.png.616683c8f7934b66d35f4cab4b1532c4.png

7028868_large_1555014468.jpg

3 hours ago, motocat12 said:

1.5 laps at chestnut ridge. Not my favorite wall ride. it lifts a bit at the first tree then finishes straight and steep with debris in line and the trail going to the inside. I skidded it down and that's my track at the bottom edge. ordering a smaller chainring for the 1x11. I plan to ride a bunch of trails this summer if anyone is interested, scioto, morgantown wv, maybe western PA.  What's the best Cleveland trail worth a 2 hr drive? I haven't ridden past vultures knob from columbus.

East Rim is really good and definitely the most popular. It is primarily fast a flowy with a few techy rock features. There are 2 shortish loops and each loop has an optional more advanced option. One is a techy rock fest the other is a mini downhill run with good jumps. The downhill is new and hasn't been fully opened yet due to the soft trails.

I would suggest also riding Hampton Hills if in the area as its not far from East Rim.

• 3 weeks later...

Swapped my 34 fox factory elite 120 fork  with a 32 140mm x-fusion velvet. Gained 200g also had to swap the tubless boost carbon wheel with a 100mm hub tubed one and 180 rotor to 160 centerlock. My first ride swapping from 32 to 30t chainring too. Totally changed the ride, feels completely dialed in. Bridges felt a little sketchier.  Maybe I need more time with it slacker should be more stable. The fork lengths don'y look 200 mm different but I did have lighter cranks strikes that I rarely had at all on previous bikes.  Had the old fork in the trunk just in case but may sell it now. I  had tried adjusting the settings and volume spacers to improve the action.

Rode 8 miles at Mitchell Memorial Forest in cinci after I was too tired to keep wakeboarding. The beginning is technical but fast. the B trail has part designed to be ridden wet and a lot of slick flat rocks. Then back to the end of the A trail many roots. I may have ridden it backwards. 1 section was closed for mud and it said to start with the mile markers decreasing but had signs in both directions. Had about 90 minutes minutes until the park "closed" and was trying to rush besides being beat.  I was a bit past and people were grilling out  when I left>? Google says 9p but it may be dusk. Pay to park.

Scioto I hardly knowya. Been over 10 years since I had been here and it used to be the place to go if there had been recent rains. I kayaked 2 hours on the way down. it was mud pits or pine needles like riding on wet carpet. Slammed a pedal into my achiles real hard  and endoed a creek crossing that was 4 feet wide but a deep sharp v at the bottom. road a fire road for a good climb.

Morgantown was a bust too. just harsh hiking trails they let you bike on.

• 1 month later...

Rode Ceasar Creek for the first time in a decade. It's old and a bit eroded. A good adventure though.  Highlight reel was pole dancing on a tree. There were trees on both sides of the trail next to a ravine. The up hill tree had steep angled roots . My front tire rebounded of them pointed down into the ravine. I grabbed onto the downhill tree. The bike dropped out from under and spun us in a 180. Then then top tube and I extreme scissored 4 feet to the bottom.

Less painful then the highlight at Dillon last month. I wheelied over a flat rock to a pointy rock in the middle of the trail with a tree uphill. I didn't get the wheel down to pick a line. I hit my hand and bar on the tree. The front wheel kicked then spun out from under me. The momentum pushed the downhill left side of my neck into the tree about 5 feet high and with the bike gone I grated all the way down. There were sections of dillon so rocky that there was no moss worn off any path

• Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...

Athens Stroud Park the other week thunderbunny and hollowpoint. Pretty rugged and eroded.  2hrs at Lake Hope Saturday. 6 miles of the same stuff with some large roots but Wildcat is one of my favorite trails in ohio. Sidewinder looked like it didn't get much attention. Only rode half the mileage there.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Helmut and I went on a ride yesterday morning. One area was flooded but we got through. Due to a time constraint we cut the ride short, our goal was 40 miles. However, this is the longest ride we have taken. I need new tires before we do it again.

I have over 1200 miles on my tires and they are now slicks. 

Capture+_2020-05-24-08-12-43.png

Edited by snot
  • Beer 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Pauly said:

Nice work, guys. 37 miles on a hybrid is no joke. 

With a stock seat! But, my butt did just fine with all the excess padding in it.

Not sure mine qualifies as hybrid, there is no suspension on it. I don't know much about bicycles.

Edited by snot

• 3 weeks later...

Hit devou park in KY  and East fork in Cinci. very few others were out 

The Full Monty DH was very well manicured. I could feel the boost when the elevation changed. They missed the opportunity to call it the Hole Monty given that it's sandwiched in a golf course

image.thumb.png.6d567768b7fa93c75b45595ff776e8cd.pngimage.thumb.png.8e3607c9c666264cb60803a186121b76.png

image.thumb.png.d2ecc30c3da3c2785fdaff9713f1d46f.png 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Did 10 miles at John Bryan state park. I was there a long time ago and there was a lame trail. It has morphed. It is smooth, open and flat non-swampland, probably the fastest average speed loop trail I've ridden. Lots of kickers built in too. Really fun trail that doesn't beat you up. Would have ridden more it I didn't start so late and butt still sore from last week..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Rode Baileys in Athens Sunday. Machine built trails with lots of whoops. Wore myself out climbing the worse direction.

Tried Wayne N Forrest Epic loop Monday. It's basically all narrow hiking trails with not much traffic. slow, soft, steep, overgrown. Bailed out to the road 1/3 in for 3 hrs and lucked out that the agressive trailer dogs didn't live at the bottom of the up  hills