Rider X1 Ear Buds

Tonyblaze

I picked up the Rider X1 Ear Buds made specifically for motorcycle riders ( https://www.byeaos.com/ ). First opinion: Upsides - well thought out design, good sound production, decent mid-range and highs, acceptable bass response. At least for my ear anatomy it creates a pretty darn good seal. I'm wondering how well it will let in high frequency ambient noise such as emergency sirens, horns, screeching tires, etc. They have idiot proof controls that should be easily manipulated in gloves. It also has a very unique voice microphone. Downsides - Control module is made of hard plastic placed about 8 inches from the RCA jack. Unique position focused on riders ability to control sound source while riding but riders particular about their bikes will not appreciate it banging against the paint on their gas tank. The controls are only fully integrated for IOS devices. Androids users, we're screwed. Only the play/pause controls work on those devices. If you double tap on the play button it will advance to the next track. (Not documented in the instructions). The cord is a standard ear bud quality cord. I would have expected one of a little higher durability if its geared toward riders but no biggie. The buds fit fully in your ear leaving no profile exposed above the rim to catch your helmet. I've got a pretty tight fitting helmet (wide head) and they feel perfectly comfortable on me. Overall I'd say they were a bit pricey but worth it for the specialized application. I have to figure out if I want to use my work phone for riding which is an IOS device or scrap this idea and send them back. All of my tunes are on my Android. . 

• 9 months later...

Looks decent but a bit pricey. I just use a set of gen 1 Plugfones and use with a small Jumbl Bluetooth receiver. That while setup is about $30 and I haven't found anything that can out perform the plugfones when on a motorcycle, they isolate very well.