Ramblings of a free man (SV650?)

redkow97

• 4 weeks later...

Well bike is off the shopping list for a bit. 

Bought a fast(ish) car instead. 

Sammich maker is also in the picture. I’ll avoid specifics about her, but she’s great, and she “gets me,” which was apparently a major issue with my ex-wife, so i’m Calling it progress, if not an outright win. 

2015 IS350 F sport. The AWD model is not as sporty, but obviously does a bit better in the snow. 

Planning to give the car and the sammich maker both thorough workouts tomorrow 😛

• Beer 2
  • Upvote 1

On 10/29/2019 at 10:57 AM, TimTheAzn said:

So that was for you! Assuming John picked that up for you.

Correct.  It’s too nice. My kids are going to destroy it. 

Sammich maker loves Star Wars, so they Yoda meme is that much funnier to me. 

But yeah, she definitely is on my level. We took the car out to dinner Saturday, and she kept ordering me more drinks. Finally i told her she doesn’t have to get me drunk to take advantage of me. She responded with, “oh i know - i’m Just trying to make sure i get to drive the car home.”  

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...

Stumbled upon this thread. 

I’ve landed on my feet pretty well. Upgraded houses - or rather, school districts.  Moved in with GF. Got engaged. Bought China grom, bought SV650 race bike, bought corolla XRS manual, and am a lot happier, in spite of Covid BS. 

The Lexus was a casualty of the house upgrade, but i couldn’t pass it up for the deal I got, and honestly, the kids would have destroyed the interior. 

loving the XRS too. It’s not fast or fancy, but it’s markedly better than my old car in every way (not that that was a high bar). Even so, i got everything i said i wanted: 40 more horsepower, power windows, cruise control, a manual transmission, and a nicer stereo - that runs on 87 octane.  

it’s entertaining, and the SV is in the garage to be truly fast ...at least compared to cars. 

• Beer 3
  • Upvote 1

I forgot the best part though - whoever first owned this Xrs really put some money into it. 

it has a nice cold air intake, short throw shifter, and a fuel management module connected to the air intake so that it still idles properly when you mess with the throttle response settings. 

I don’t know how much power it actually adds, but it was completely un-detectable during the test drive, and feels like it’s been professionally tuned. 

even the LED under-body lights are wired up well, and the switches are installed discretely. It’s ridiculous, but totally hidden, until i get drunk and start having the car do “party tricks” in the driveway.

i used the mods to negotiate the sale price down. The car has sat on 3?lots for a total of almost 5 YEARS. I flat-out told the sales mgr, “you bought this at auction because it’s a really clean corolla with 68,000 miles on it.  I’m betting you got it for $5500, but didn’t realize it was a manual transmission.  The car fax says it’s sat here since May, after being on two other lots for a long time. This is a $7500 car. That’s a fair price, and leaves you enough meat on the bone to pocket something, but we both know that The market for a 5-speed corolla is very limited.”

technically the sale price was $8100, but they gave me $900 for the 2003 corolla, which had over 236,000 miles on it.