Nerding out over new gear.

2talltim

I have never been more nerded out by riding gear than i am right now. Just before the Gap trip I made a few weeks ago I discovered a hole in my tourmaster riding pants. So just chalked it up as get a replacement next year. Wore my old beat-up Stitch pants that I bought used on adventure riders for that trip. While down at the Gap I met a guy named Dan with similar riding interest that I have. He talked very hightly about his Klim gear how much he loved it and how great of a company they are to work with and they stand behind their "Lifetime Warranty".  At that time he had me convinced just to step up my game to a higher end gear/company than tourmaster. So over the next couple weeks I did a lot of research and checking out videos and reviews online and everything kept pointing to the Klim latitude line for Sport Touring. In the pants they even made it tall version so it seems like a no-brainer but of course my tight ass wallet still wasn't going to spend $550 on pants. So my plan, keep an eye on ADV rider or ebay for a lightly used pair. And low and behold there was a pair on Ebay for $350 with the option to send offer. These were advertised as "like new, with tags removed but still came with them, used for one trip" So my hope was to get these for $300 using the offer option. Figured id have to play the dance (offer-conter offer...) so hit them low at $280 ...And they acepted! SWEEETT!  Once i got them they were a perfect fit and i was super impressed with the quality. VERY happy with my decision.

So at that point I was sold, I knew I would wanted the Jacket too. So again my tight ass isn't paying $700 for a jacket. So off the second hand outlets i go. Didn't see anything at first but the very next day on ADV rider one pops up. Brand New w/tags (NEVER WORN). The guy got it as a warranty replacement for his older model and apparently they changed them completely and the new model didn't fit him. Had it listed for $500, plus shipping, plus paypal fees. But you know me gotta hit him low. Offer $400..crickets...bumped it to $425...crickets...finally i told him i was all in at $450 plus $20 for shipping out the door but he would have to eat the paypal fees. You have to realize this was 2 days after he listed it and noone else even sniffed it but me. He told me Friday night he would think on it over night and let me know. Saturday morning he sends me his paypal info and accepted my offer. Freaking Bad Ass!

20191021_155738.thumb.jpg.714cc9a34aa40647db9f7da864e2babb.jpg

Got the Jacket today and it too is an absolute perfect fit. I was worried they didnt come in a tall size but also read Klim is a very generous cut. Perfect. Better than any other jacket I've owned.

20191021_155130.thumb.jpg.d54cdcc2b94525592287fb5e039b48fc.jpg

I know I'm babbling on here but I have another story about the pants. When I got them and tried them on I realized there was something in the pockets. In the right front pocket there was a brand new crisp perfectly folded $10 bill looks like fresh out of the bank somebody purposely carefully folded it and placed it in that pocket. And the left front pocket there was a Buddhist prayer flag wadded-up. There was also something in the thigh pocket it was an Tusk or an antler off of some sort of animal. Obviously I found this very odd and wanted to get to the bottom of where they came from. So I emailed the seller and asked if she knew the history of the pants and where they came from and told her that I had found things in the pocket. She explains to me that her husband bought these pants and use them on a motorcycle trip to the Himalayas and when he got home he never use them again. So I guess that explains all of that..lol

20191018_184051.thumb.jpg.f31574f45dff6a17eebe129a55333f42.jpg

An added bonus i also picked up another pair of my Astars gloves i love so much on Ebay for half price...lol

20191021_155348.jpg

Edited by 2talltim
  • Upvote 3

Took a ride yesterday with the pants.First impression of the pants. Aren't really any  cooler than my tourmaster probably just as warm. But the difference no sweating. But with more protection and more waterproof and not being any hotter, thats a win. The seating production feels fine with no pressure points. But do need to make some adjustments on the knee armor. Pockets are harder to get into but they are water proof where the old ones weren't. Over all I'm liking them. I bet they will shine in the wet and on the long haul.

Edited by 2talltim

1 minute ago, flick311 said:

I've put about 10,000 miles on my Klim Latitude pants, all day rain, etc. The only time I got wet was when I didn't have the pockets zipped lol

Very nice. Do you have the new version or the old?

12 hours ago, flick311 said:

I guess I'm not sure, bought them last year... I have Aerostich, and Firstgear, also. Klim is my go to 95 percent of the time. 

Its probably the new one then.  Was released early last year. 

Man, you scored a killer deal on that suit!  I paid nearly that for a lightly used suit--the Latitude like yours--from ADVR several years ago.  I've worn it for two trips out west to the CA border and several to the TN/NC/GA area with nothing wrong other than a failed snap which I fixed myself with a 99 cent kit from HF.  Wind-proof, rain-proof, versatile enough to function as stand-alone touring clothing.  Last May, I rode across west Texas with temps as high 108*, and in a light sleet and temps just above freezing near Bryce.  While I can't say I was totally comfortable in both cases, the conditions were tolerable enough to be able to motor on without feeling unsafe.  Congrats on the new gear!

39 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Bubba, how is it in more normal hot weather? Like 80s or so.

Good question.

While wearing it around the garage last night I did notice the jacket was a bit cooler than my Tourmaster Advance. The Klim does not have a termo liner at all. But i'm fine with that because I have the Gerbings. While the pants seem to be equally as warm as the old ones the jacket was noticeably cooler. 

52 minutes ago, Bubba said:

Man, you scored a killer deal on that suit!  I paid nearly that for a lightly used suit--the Latitude like yours--from ADVR several years ago.  I've worn it for two trips out west to the CA border and several to the TN/NC/GA area with nothing wrong other than a failed snap which I fixed myself with a 99 cent kit from HF.  Wind-proof, rain-proof, versatile enough to function as stand-alone touring clothing.  Last May, I rode across west Texas with temps as high 108*, and in a light sleet and temps just above freezing near Bryce.  While I can't say I was totally comfortable in both cases, the conditions were tolerable enough to be able to motor on without feeling unsafe.  Congrats on the new gear!

Exactly what I'm looking for. All day all weather comfort. I find myself bringing a extra lighter or heavier jacket on most of my long trips and that takes up a lot of bag space.

Added note. When Klim says "Tall" on the pant they freakin mean it. Think these think have over a 35" inseam. little long when standing but perfect in the riding position for me. 

Edited by 2talltim

5 hours ago, Tonik said:

Bubba, how is it in more normal hot weather? Like 80s or so.

Jim:  Not as comfy as vented gear obviously, but the Klim jacket/pants have both front and rear vents that give you pretty good flow-thru ventiliation when moving.  Jacket is well-vented, but I did resort to the use of a cooling towel around my neck when riding across TX.  Even at 90+ MPH, it was like riding into a blast furnace.  When touring, I carry a set of thermal liners for top/bottom and typically use 'em if I'm gonna be putting in many hours in the saddle at temps under 45-50.  As Tim noted, the jacket is not quite as well lined as some other high end gear, but that also makes it more tolerable in hot conditions.

Prior to picking up the Klim suit, I had an Aerostich Roadcrafter onesie that was both hotter and less comfortable.  Wore it for several years but never came to love it the way some folks talk about it being the gold standard of touring gear.  Whenever I stopped, I always wanted out of the 'Stich ASAP, whereas I wore the Klim pants full-time on my trips.

• Beer 1

4 hours ago, 2talltim said:

Exactly what I'm looking for. All day all weather comfort. I find myself bringing a extra lighter or heavier jacket on most of my long trips and that takes up a lot of bag space.

Tim:  I typically pack a set of both wicking layer for hot and an UA thermal layer for chilly.  Both pack very tightly.

https://www.cyclegear.com/heat-out

This is my winter to replace some of my gear. Helmet for sure since it timed out in September, boots probably, gloves maybe. When it's time for a jacket and pants Klim will be first on the list.

I hope Arai comes out with a new model to replace the Corsair X by March. I currently have a V and wouldn't mind skipping a generation. I have a pair of Sidi Vortice boots that won't make it through the season because of the soles and truthfully are a complete pain in the ass to put on and take off. Probably will be replacing them with a pair of ST air boots. My current gloves are going to be twelve years old next season and would easily make it through another season. They are Held Phantoms but it appears they no longer are selling gloves in North America so I'm open to any good suggestions.

On 10/22/2019 at 8:58 PM, Uncle Punk said:

My current gloves are going to be twelve years old next season and would easily make it through another season. They are Held Phantoms but it appears they no longer are selling gloves in North America so I'm open to any good suggestions.

Plenty of Held gloves available for sale, including Phantoms.