Well, I’m back. Sort of.

redkow97

I intended to buy a chinese grom or amazon street bike, and just beat the shot out of it at mini tracks. 

just looking to have cheap fun, not race competitively. 

after struggling to find anything in stock, i bought a homely 2002 SV650 race bike. 

i haven’t even cranked it yet. Needs a battery, and all the fluids flushed first. The plan is to ride it and race it at Nelson, PIRC and Mid-Ohio as much as possible. The racing just opens up the schedule. I am quick enough to stay out of the leaders’ way.  If i find myself anywhere near the front, then i reevaluate 😂

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tires purchased. I’ll be at PIRC for the endurance race and sprints this weekend - getting tires mounted and spectating. Not racing. Maybe helping my friends do endurance. 

I doubled down and bought parts to fix my leaking MC, and then also won an auction for a 2007 R6 master.  The latter is much better, but may ship more slowly...

should have fresh rubber on the bike Monday, and the master cylinder should be on the bike Tuesday. Cross your fingers. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, redkow97 said:

Tires purchased. I’ll be at PIRC for the endurance race and sprints this weekend - getting tires mounted and spectating. Not racing. Maybe helping my friends do endurance. 

I doubled down and bought parts to fix my leaking MC, and then also won an auction for a 2007 R6 master.  The latter is much better, but may ship more slowly...

should have fresh rubber on the bike Monday, and the master cylinder should be on the bike Tuesday. Cross your fingers. 

I also have an r6 master + stock calipers on my sv and it made a world of difference.

I've had an r6 master + r6 calipers on my 2009 gsxr 1k  and that setup was nice for the money.

the R6 master arrived 2 days early, AND, it’s a Brembo. Didn’t even see that when i bid on it. 

i have functioning brakes, but they’re not as firm as i would like. 

encountered some issues removing the wheels, since i have never messed with a Suzuki before, but they’re off, and i am hopeful that reinstallation goes a bit smoother now that i sort of have a clue about how things go together. 

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, redkow97 said:

Rode it crashed it. Putting it back together. Oops

chinese “Amagrom” arrives tomorrow as well. 

lol what happened?

Also good luck getting a truly firm brake lever on an sv. You may need to re-evaluate your expectations for those stock calipers.

On 8/19/2020 at 1:18 PM, redkow97 said:

I intended to buy a chinese grom or amazon street bike, and just beat the shot out of it at mini tracks. 

just looking to have cheap fun, not race competitively. 

after struggling to find anything in stock, i bought a homely 2002 SV650 race bike. 

i haven’t even cranked it yet. Needs a battery, and all the fluids flushed first. The plan is to ride it and race it at Nelson, PIRC and Mid-Ohio as much as possible. The racing just opens up the schedule. I am quick enough to stay out of the leaders’ way.  If i find myself anywhere near the front, then i reevaluate 😂

I hadn't thought about the Grom knock offs.   I'd have to lose a shitload of weight first though.  

29 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

What did you pay for that?

Used groms are cheap as hell.

What are you seeing good functioning groms for? Seems like people want >$1000 for wrecked groms, and $2000 minimum for anything that runs and rides. #covidpricing

21 minutes ago, RymerC said:

What are you seeing good functioning groms for? Seems like people want >$1000 for wrecked groms, and $2000 minimum for anything that runs and rides. #covidpricing

That's about right....

That's what I asked how much he paid for that amazon machine. If it was within $700 or so I woulda just saved up a bit more and bought a grom not some off-brand thing.