Chinese build quality... (oil leak)

redkow97

After 21.6 somewhat eventful miles, my Chinese Grom clone is leaking oil from The right side engine vase cover.

the engine is so generic that it has a screw-on cover where it can be branded differently. The gasket behind mine seems to be failing, and leaks oil when the bike is warm. 

i am concerned that i will round out the screws if i try any harder to remove the cover to inspect it. Laying the bike against a milk crate in the garage sure is easier with a 125 though.

anyway, i can’t ever see myself accessing this cover for maintenance. Any reason i shouldn’t just JB weld the entire seem?  Maybe try RVT first to see if that works?

I bought my girls a Chinese quad years ago. The case cover had a small slice in it where it looked like somebody opened the box with a razor knife. Yes the case cover was that thin. I used some RVT and it worked well. I would try the RVT first.

I’m a fucking moron, but so are the people who assemble these bikes. 

The crank case breather was routed in an asinine manner, causing it to kink. 

the resulting pressure was pushing out the o-ring on the clutch side that seals the part that depresses he clutch springs. 

so i was leaking oil from a cover not meant to have oil behind it. Rerouting the breather tube and re-seating the o-ring solved the issue completely. 

It’s still shockingly slow (49 on GPS), but not broken in yet, and i have a larger front sprocket, and will put a better carb and an exhaust on it. Chinese parts are $30 for the carb and $50 for the exhaust, hahahahaha

• 4 weeks later...