Dirt bike racing Beginner questions

rhuff2343

Hi yall... i have a 13 yr old son that wants to get into racing dirt bikes.. i bought him a cheap 125cc apollo semiautomatic to get a feel for riding and learn... i also bought a 99 kx 80cc 2 stroke he will ride once he is comfortable on his 125 and i feel like he can ride it safely... we live 45 min south of Columbus..Do or is there, tracks that allow a cheap apollo bike to practice on, on open days and is there a race class for the apollo bikes for a 13yr old beginner that wont get him hurt for lack of experience? Also once hes on the 80cc what would be a good beginner's class for him... just trying to get him into the sport and do it as safe as we can and have some fun... thanks

Fast Tracks holds a lot of summer events and even has beginner classes and open practices. Briar Cliff is also a great set up for beginners as they have a beginner track, keep him off of the pro track though as there are a lot of the jumps that he would need to clear and some very fast riders that are not expecting to turn a corner or come over a jump and have a new guy in the line.

COCR is in Sugar Grove, and we'll have a couple of open practices this year.  I should have the website updated by this weekend.

We are a private club made up of volunteers.  You can have 24/7 access if you become a member.  Let me know if you are interested.

https://cocrmx.com/

Here is another website that is great for finding local MX events http://www.pitracer.com/

Edited by Ron505
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, bowdog said:

Looks like an awesome thing you guys have going there Ron!

Thanks!  Our big races of the year are typically the Buckeye Series Races.  The place gets packed, and there is some really great racing, even for spectators.  A lot of the local pros have, at one time or another, been on the National seen as well.  

• 2 years later...

13 years is a very small age of racing but still, now this is riding season all events and clubs are open for the riders Just join a club and start taking the classes. As you said he is a beginner so initially he must join a club where he learns how to ride and the best way to ride. I share some options for racing dirt bikes so choose the best one according to your need.