it's official. ohio a constitutional carry state!

serpentracer

Agree with Tonic, more untrained armed people seems like a bad idea... 

You realize this means someone like me, who has zero practical experience with firearms can now *legally* buy, load, and carry concealed without knowing the first thing about them, their operation, safe storage, my responsibilities, etc.

Upsides: I'm an engineer, mentally stable, emotionally developed, understand physics, mechanics, and have a strong grasp of actions and consequences.

Even with all those upsides, I still think I should be required to pass a background check to buy, and be required to be at least minimally trained before I should be allowed to carry. How many people don't have those upsides?

1 hour ago, Tonik said:

You have to go through a ton of training to drive a car.

It would be interesting to be able to calculate the % of accidents this training actually prevents. Over 18 does not need training in ohio. There is also DL reciprocity from other states/countries. Can I still renew my CCW for other state reciprocity?

Edited by motocat12

4 hours ago, motocat12 said:

It would be interesting to be able to calculate the % of accidents this training actually prevents. Over 18 does not need training in ohio. There is also DL reciprocity from other states/countries. Can I still renew my CCW for other state reciprocity?

Yes

11 hours ago, motocat12 said:

Could of swore I responded to this already. CCW renewals are still the same and we will need them for other states that don't have constitutional carry.

On 3/19/2022 at 9:49 AM, Tonik said:

Before I ******

Proper safe gun training is not a hoop and not a burden.

Not to diminish what you are saying and I do agree with your statement of many people needing proper training, but so far most of the gun owners that I know who have not gotten their CCW up to this point the reasoning wasn't only about the requirement to take a training class.  Their reason for not getting the CCW was that they also didn't want to get fingerprinted and have their info in a state database or to deal with the hassle of all the steps and expenses required.  In their minds it is an undue burden.

The other things you need to think of for the average person that is on the fence about first time concealed carry is the cost and hassle involved in the process.  $67 to apply, $10 for fingerprints, cost for your 2x2 passport photos ($17 from CVS) Scheduling and taking said training classes from around $75 or more.  The fact that most places to apply and get your actual card from the state are Mon-Fri daytime only, and that the average working person would need to take off time from work to complete the process.  The cash outlay doesn't seem like a huge amount of money for people that already have 5-10-20 guns but a first time owner will take that $170ish dollars for a CCW into account when they are trying to justify the process and time put into getting the CCW vs buying the equivalent amount of ammo.

I know that sounds awfully conspiracy theorist of me but for some people those items are a legit concern that was holding them back.  Me personally, I have had my CCW for the entire 14 years so far that I have lived in OH and will continue to keep it current so I can carry in other states so please don't think I am talking about myself in the third person :)  Just wanted to throw this out there because like anything in life the complexity of this topic is much more in depth than just getting hung up on a single portion of it.

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, vf1000ride said:

Not to diminish what you are saying and I do agree with your statement of many people needing proper training, but so far most of the gun owners that I know who have not gotten their CCW up to this point the reasoning wasn't only about the requirement to take a training class.  Their reason for not getting the CCW was that they also didn't want to get fingerprinted and have their info in a state database or to deal with the hassle of all the steps and expenses required.  In their minds it is an undue burden.

The other things you need to think of for the average person that is on the fence about first time concealed carry is the cost and hassle involved in the process.  $67 to apply, $10 for fingerprints, cost for your 2x2 passport photos ($17 from CVS) Scheduling and taking said training classes from around $75 or more.  The fact that most places to apply and get your actual card from the state are Mon-Fri daytime only, and that the average working person would need to take off time from work to complete the process.  The cash outlay doesn't seem like a huge amount of money for people that already have 5-10-20 guns but a first time owner will take that $170ish dollars for a CCW into account when they are trying to justify the process and time put into getting the CCW vs buying the equivalent amount of ammo.

I know that sounds awfully conspiracy theorist of me but for some people those items are a legit concern that was holding them back.  Me personally, I have had my CCW for the entire 14 years so far that I have lived in OH and will continue to keep it current so I can carry in other states so please don't think I am talking about myself in the third person :)  Just wanted to throw this out there because like anything in life the complexity of this topic is much more in depth than just getting hung up on a single portion of it.

Very well said.   There are a lot of steps and very true that there's no need for personal information to be handed over to the gov't.   It's none of their business if someone owns a firearm and thankfully now none of their business if people are carrying them.  Loads of unwarranted burdens and red tape and big brother tactics.

Big brother aside, a lot of the CCW training is absolute trash. Folks that want to be adept with their weapon will become so, regardless of the required training. Those that only take the class once and then never train with their weapon are equally dangerous as those with zero training. You can't regulate stupid. You can only insure yourself from it. 

• Upvote 1

Thats a slippery slope though.  Because you're actually advocating for regulations.  The constitution is very clear about no infringement.  

Hopefully people will seek training anyway.  Its up to responsible owners to educate.  Offer assistance if you see someone at a range that seems dangerous.  Friendly conversation and mention training and keep business cards with you.  

On 3/27/2022 at 7:11 AM, serpentracer said:

The constitution is very clear about no infringement.  

Shame ranges aren't more available for people to develop and maintain proficiency, given how critical firearms were (and still are) to personal and national security.

I expect if more people cared about shooting and racing we'd have ranges and tracks opening up, instead of closing down. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 8 months later...

Can someone clear something up, uscca claims ohio still requires everyone except ccw oermits to still keep the gun in a separate compartment and unloaded and not in access of the driver or any occupant even with the new constitutional carry.  But all the news outlets that covered the story said that went away with the new law.  The revised code still says uscca is correct.  But it reads in a way that sounds like this rule doesnt apply to lawfully permitted gun owners. Its confusing or im just a idiot.  Read part B then part C. Seems to contradict itself 

https://codes.ohio.gov/ohio-revised-code/section-2923.16