Ohio Window tint law.

SpaceGhost

Section 437.28 Use of Sunscreening Nontransparent and Reflectorized Materials

(a) No person shall operate, on any street or other public or private property open to the public for vehicular travel or parking, nor lease or rent any motor vehicle that is required to be registered in this State with any sunscreening material, or other product or material, which has the effect of making the windshield or windows nontransparent or would alter the windows' color, increase its reflectivity, or reduce its light transmittance, except as herein specified:

(1) Any manufacturer's tinting or glazing of motor vehicle windows or windshields that is otherwise in compliance with or permitted by "Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard Number 205". In Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard Number 205 "manufacturer" means any person engaged in the manufacturing or assembling of motor vehicles or motor vehicle equipment, including any person importing motor vehicles or motor vehicle equipment for resale.

(2) Any motor vehicle with a strip of sunscreening applied along the top of the windshield so long as such material when used in conjunction with the windshield is transparent and is in compliance with "Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard Number 205", or other applicable Federal Standards, and does not extend downward beyond the AS-1 line or five inches from the top of the windshield, whichever is closer to the top.

(3) Any motor vehicle with sunscreening material applied to the side windows near the driver and passenger in the front of such vehicle and/or the rear windows so long as such material when used in conjunction with the safety glazing materials of such windows has a light transmittance of not less than fifty percent (50%) plus or minus three percent (3%) and is not red or yellow in color.

(b) No person shall install in any motor vehicle any glass or other material that fails to conform to the specifications of this section.

© No used motor vehicle dealer or new motor vehicle dealer, as defined in RC 4517.01, shall sell any motor vehicle that fails to conform to the specifications of this section.

(d) No reflectorized materials shall be permitted upon or in any front windshield, side windows, sidewings or rear window.

(e) No person shall operate on any street or other public or private property open to the public for vehicular travel or parking, nor lease or rent any motor vehicle that is required to be registered in this State that is equipped with privacy drapes, louvers, curtains or blinds unless the drapes, louvers, curtains or blinds are open and secure during vehicle operation.

(f) All motor vehicles, beginning with the 1990 model year, shall be equipped with labels identifying sunscreening material. All sunscreening material shall indicate the manufacturer's name and the percentage level of light transmission of the material permanently installed between the material and the surface to which the material is applied or affixed. Such label shall be legible and shall be placed in the lower left-hand corner of the vehicle window when viewed from the outside. (OAC 4501-41-03)

(g) Exemptions. The provisions of this section do not apply to:

(1) A motor vehicle registered in this State in the name of a person, or the person's parent, legal guardian or spouse who has an affidavit signed by a physician licensed to practice in this State under RC Chapter 4731 or an affidavit signed by an optometrist licensed to practice in this State under RC Chapter 4725 that states that the person has a physical condition that makes it necessary to equip such motor vehicle with sunscreening material which would be of a light transmittance and/or luminous reflectance in violation of this section. Such affidavit shall be in the possession of the person so afflicted or the driver at all times while in the motor vehicle;

(2) The windows to the rear of the driver in limousines as defined in Rule 4501-41-02 of the Ohio Administrative Code if the limousines are operated for hire;

(3) The windows to the rear of the driver in those vehicles designed and used to transport corpses which include hearses and other vehicles adapted for such use; and

(4) The manufacturer's tinting or glazing of motor vehicle windows or windshields that is otherwise in compliance with or permitted by "Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard Number 205". (OAC 4501-41-05)

(h) Definitions. As used in this section, certain terms are defined as follows:

(1) "Motor vehicle" has the same meaning as specified in Section 401.26.

(2) "Sunscreening material" means products or materials, including film, glazing and perforated sunscreening, which, when applied to the windshield or windows of a motor vehicle, reduce the effects of the sun with respect to light reflectance or transmittance.

(3) "Transmittance" means the ratio of the amount of total light, expressed in percentages, which is allowed to pass through the product or material, including glazing, to the amount of total light falling on the product or material and the glazing.

(4) "Windshield" means the front exterior viewing device of a motor vehicle.

(5) "Window" means any device designed for exterior viewing from a motor vehicle, except the windshield or any roof-mounted viewing device.

(6) "Manufacturer" unless otherwise specified in this section, means any person who engages in the manufacturing or assembling of sunscreening products or materials or any person who fabricates, laminates or tempers a safety glazing material, incorporating, during the manufacturing process, the capacity to reflect or reduce the transmission of light.

(7) "Limousine" means any vehicle of the type generally described as a limousine, designed to transport seven or more people.

(OAC 4501-41-02; Ord. No. 2822-89. Passed 3-19-90, eff. 3-22-90)

Maybe this should be stickied?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coincidentally, I was just looking up these same laws today. I found this website. Basically an easy layman's guide to Ohio tint laws. Hopefully, it matches with what's above. Admittedly, I didn't read through all of the above post, yet. No time to look and double check as the gf's mom and aunt are coming tomorrow and it's a whirlwind of cleaning and bitching at the moment. :(

http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/OH/

That site is not accurate.

From that site.

"Restricted Colors - No colors of tint are explicitly banned."

See above:

(3) Any motor vehicle with sunscreening material applied to the side windows near the driver and passenger in the front of such vehicle and/or the rear windows so long as such material when used in conjunction with the safety glazing materials of such windows has a light transmittance of not less than fifty percent (50%) plus or minus three percent (3%) and is not red or yellow in color.

The website I got this from is here: (it has other laws we may be interested in like exhaust)

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/clevelandcodes/cco_part4_437.html

(e) No person shall operate any motor vehicle which produces a sound or noise in excess of ninety-five decibels as measured not less than five feet from the source of such sound or noise. term "decibel" means a unit for measurement of relative sound levels as indicated by a sound level meter having those properties essential for the purpose of administration and enforcement of this section of a nature defined by the current American Standard Association Specification (Z 24.3-1944).

Yea, thought it was strange they allowed limo tint on the back and rear passenger windows. Got all excited for nuttin'. :( For a minute there, I was happy I hadn't tinted these car windows in Texas. I had my gf's done in Tx but do not remember the tint %. I'll have to dig out the paperwork.

I don't have time to read the entire thread, but AFAIK you can tint the rear windows as dark as possible, but the windshield, and front driver/passenger must be 50% or lighter legally. I personally have run between 5-15% on the last 6 cars I've had in the past 2-3 years, and even though I've been in a couple accidents, had a few speeding tickets and hassled about stupid shit, no one has once mentioned my front window tint. I even had my entire windshield done before.

The cop that pulled me over last week for tinted windows (I couldn't believe it) told me the same thing as punkrocker just stated. Just a few months ago, I had the darker stuff removed and this lighter tint installed. He must have felt a bit sorry for me and didn't ticket me. He also asked about not having a front plate...no ticket or written warning for either. I think he was expecting to see a young punk when he turned around to get me...instead got a 40+ year old guy in business clothes. Some of them are looking though...I was in Ohio at the WV border.

I think I may be able to make this happen:

"(1) A motor vehicle registered in this State in the name of a person, or the person's parent, legal guardian or spouse who has an affidavit signed by a physician licensed to practice in this State under RC Chapter 4731 or an affidavit signed by an optometrist licensed to practice in this State under RC Chapter 4725 that states that the person has a physical condition that makes it necessary to equip such motor vehicle with sunscreening material which would be of a light transmittance and/or luminous reflectance in violation of this section. Such affidavit shall be in the possession of the person so afflicted or the driver at all times while in the motor vehicle;"

Where can I get a hardcopy of this?

Are there any pre-written "affidavit" or whatever I can bring to the doctor and all they have to do is sign it,etc?

I think I may be able to make this happen:

"(1) A motor vehicle registered in this State in the name of a person, or the person's parent, legal guardian or spouse who has an affidavit signed by a physician licensed to practice in this State under RC Chapter 4731 or an affidavit signed by an optometrist licensed to practice in this State under RC Chapter 4725 that states that the person has a physical condition that makes it necessary to equip such motor vehicle with sunscreening material which would be of a light transmittance and/or luminous reflectance in violation of this section. Such affidavit shall be in the possession of the person so afflicted or the driver at all times while in the motor vehicle;"

Where can I get a hardcopy of this?

Are there any pre-written "affidavit" or whatever I can bring to the doctor and all they have to do is sign it,etc?

I have an appointment for my migraines this week. ;)

• 1 year later...
i got pulled over about 3 weeks ago for tint i have 5% on my car and my dd s-10 but i have a doctors presciption for 5 % and they state boy got mad when i told him i had it because thats all he pulled me over for.made me roll my window back up then got pissy and then made me roll it down 1/4 of a inch and checked it after i told him it was 5% but then he told me i was wrong that i had 97% tint on my truck not 5% .well we argued about it for about 10 minutes and he said my doctors presciption was wrong i had 97% tint and gave me a warning .he still thinks he was right ,what was he thinking ?he was just mad he didnt get to right me a ticket .

• 4 weeks later...

I have something called chromatic aberration... basically I see crazy colors when there is high contrasting light (such as reflective road signs) -- only way to fix it is either wear sunglasses or tint the windows in my car.

looks like I'll be getting a doctor's note :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest alpin3star5
cops are pretty leaniant on tint...you can get away with 35% on the front windows. I just got mine done at ziebart. pretty good place, and my dad got 35% on the front and the back i think 20% or 15% and its on a lancer gts and hasnt gotten pulled over

I have written a few tint letters over the years (migraines), even though my license does not fall under 4731, cops have never said anything. None of them have ever bothered to look up and see that I am licensed under a different section of the code.