Ohio Window tint law.

SpaceGhost

I got pulled over 2 weeks ago for loud exhaust and a warning about my window tint it's 35%, fine for the exhaust was $110.00 I told the cop "my exhaust isn't loud you just have sensitive hearing" :D anyone thats heard my car knows its loud as fuck, and wonders how I made it this far without getting a ticket

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard they cannot technically pull you over for anything that isnt a moving violation. Like for you to get a tint ticket you have to commit a moving violation like speeding or something.

nope its considered a equipment violation and you can be pulled over for just that. Same as driveing with no front plate.

• 3 months later...

Believe me... they can pull you over for WHATEVER they want.

I've had cops pull me over and use a tint meter, measure the clearance of my front bumper and put a decibel meter in my exhaust.

I even had a cop who pulled me over in my GSX to ask what my gauges on the a-pillar were for. I explained they were Boost, Air Pressure and Exhaust temp. but he just wouldn't believe me and asked me to open my trunk to make sure my 'nitrous' was unhooked.

I'm sorry, but FUCK the police.

• 3 weeks later...
I just got pulled over this morning on the way to work for illegal tint. He tested it at 27.8 percent. The fucking prick was just mad for working today. I missed my turn after leaving and I watch him come up behind someone else and pull them over too. They really are out to get you on Memorial Day. I've had tinted windows for over 5 years now and never been ticketed for it even when I've been ticketed for other things.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest bimmer95
I think Quality Window Tint is in Westerville, they're supposed to be pretty good. I usually use Mr. Tint, they've done a great job on all of my cars.

• 1 month later...
I think Quality Window Tint is in Westerville, they're supposed to be pretty good. I usually use Mr. Tint, they've done a great job on all of my cars.

They do great work, and I really recommend them. However, I hear they've been smokinig around/in the cars while they work. :( You may want to just ask them not to if you take the car there. Otherwise, they do great work.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
It has been a while, but does anyone know anyone that does tinting personaly? Cause if anyone wants to do it on the side I would love the save some money, and for them to make some extra cash. Just let me know people. I don't want someone that is just starting out cause I would rather pay for the right person.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Wording and Codes have changed.

its now under and ADMINISTRATOR code.

http://codes.ohio.gov/oac/4501-41-03

(A) No person shall operate, on any highway or other public or private property open to the public for vehicular travel or parking, lease, or rent any motor vehicle that is required to be registered in this state with any sunscreening material, or other product or material which has the effect of making the windshield or windows nontransparent or would alter the windows’ color, increase its reflectivity, or reduce its light transmittance, unless the product or material satisfies one of the following exceptions:

(1) Any manufacturer’s tinting or glazing of motor vehicle windows or windshields that is otherwise in compliance with or permitted by “Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard Number 205” (FMVSS 205) in effect at the time of the manufacture of the motor vehicle until such standard is subsequently repealed or reduced. In “Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard Number 205,” (FMVSS 205) “manufacturer” means any person engaged in the manufacturing or assembling of motor vehicles or motor vehicle equipment, including any person importing motor vehicles or motor vehicle equipment for resale. “Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard Number 205” (FMVSS), Code of Federal Regulations, Title 49, Part 571, can be obtained online at web site http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara.

(2) Any sunscreening material or other product or material applied to the windshield when used in conjunction with the safety glazing materials of such window, has a light transmittance of not less than seventy per cent plus or minus three per cent and is not red or yellow in color.

(3) Any sunscreening material or other product or material applied to the side windows to the immediate right or left the driver, so long as such material, when used in conjunction with the safety glazing materials of such windows, has a light transmittance of not less than fifty per cent plus or minus three per cent and is not red or yellow in color.

(4) Any sunscreening material or other product or material applied to a window not otherwise listed in paragraphs (A)(1) through (A)(3) or (A)(5) of this rule, except that outside left and right rear view mirrors are required if the sunscreening material is applied to the rear window and the sunscreening material, when used in conjunction with the safety glazing material of such window, has a light transmittance of less than fifty per cent plus or minus three per cent.

(5) Any sunscreening material or other product or material applied along the top of the windshield and that does not extend downward beyond the AS-1 line or five inches from the top of the windshield, whichever is closer to the top, is not regulated by this rule or this chapter.

(B) No person shall install in any motor vehicle any glass or other material that fails to conform to the specifications of this chapter.

© No used motor vehicle dealer or new motor vehicle dealer, as defined in section 4517.01 of the Revised Code, shall sell any motor vehicle that fails to conform to the specifications of this chapter.

(D) No reflectorized materials shall be permitted upon or in any front windshield, side windows, sidewings or rear window.

(E) No person shall operate on any highway or other public or private property open to the public for vehicular travel or parking, lease, or rent any motor vehicle that is required to be registered in this state that is equipped with privacy drapes, louvers, curtains or blinds unless the drapes, louvers, curtains or blinds are open and secure during vehicle operation.

(F) All motor vehicles, beginning with the 1990 model year, must be equipped with labels identifying sunscreening material. All sunscreening material must indicate the manufacturer’s name and the percentage level of light transmission of the material permanently installed between the material and the surface to which the material is applied or affixed. Such label must be legible and must be placed in the lower left-hand corner of the vehicle window when viewed from the outside.

HISTORY: Eff 11-17-88; 4-8-04

Rule promulgated under: RC 119.03

Rule authorized by: RC 4513.241

Rule amplifies: RC 4513.241

R.C. 119.032 review dates: 03/09/2009 and 03/09/2014

Edited by damreds

I understand thats all been revised but I was speaking with my step brother last night as he is a sheriff in Delaware county and he stated to me that cops are no longer allowed to use tint meters. He told me that as long as the police can see you through the window then you are fine.

I dont know exactly how valid this is but seeing as he is a sheriff it should be valid. Ill try and speak with the gahanna police chief and see if i can find out more.

• 6 months later...
I understand thats all been revised but I was speaking with my step brother last night as he is a sheriff in Delaware county and he stated to me that cops are no longer allowed to use tint meters. He told me that as long as the police can see you through the window then you are fine.

I dont know exactly how valid this is but seeing as he is a sheriff it should be valid. Ill try and speak with the gahanna police chief and see if i can find out more.

The owner of the gym i go to is a cop and although he didn't say they couldn't use tint meters, he did say that they have to be able to see you through the window and they'll leave you alone. I asked him what that roughly equates to and he shrugged and said 50%, but I went with 35% on the sides and with the sunroof open and enough light inside the car, they look much lighter than that :D

long story short, I was driving down main street in reynoldsburg, ran the red light in front of the high school and looked in my rear view mirror and sure enough there's a reynoldsburg cop coming after me, so I pull over roll down my windows and wait, cop walks up and asked if i knew why he pulled me over, my response was yeah, cops said yeah your window tint is too dark and your exhaust is too loud, and that was it, all I said was ok, I thought for sure i got nailed for running the light, now i want to point out my tint is 35%(i know still illegal) his gauge said 17% WTF???? i aksed him how could that be, is the gauge your using calibrated? he said it doesn't need calibrated, but i'll take the tint ticket over running the light, he issued me the tint ticket= $120.00, a verbal warning for the exhaust and that was it he never mentioned the light i ran, or noticed my car doesn't have a front license plate, but I paid the ticket and moved on, the tint still remains on my SS :)

• 4 weeks later...
(on my old car)I had 16% all the way around and i got a ticket, the cop told me if i was below 45% than i would pass.... but i knew i wouldnt lol so i took it off and put 50% no cops ever bothered me again but, its super ugly and deff not dark enough