Buick powered El Camino

kenny

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're going to need some soaking in brake cleaner...

Doesn't sound like it. Transmission might be going to my buddy for his LC2 powered Blazer. Haven't done shit with the motor selling wise.

BTW, you mind sending me specs on the motor again? I deleted that PM on accident and don't remember what all you said about it. :o

*is Vince buying the motor back?

Vince would love to have it back, and has thought about it 25 times now, and just can't pull the trigger and go get it, and isn't sure he's keeping the car he would put it into, but still wants it, but has a out-of-work wife, and just got told nobody at his company would get raises in 09, and his bonus would suck, but still wants the engine back. :)

It's a 2-bolt, me thinks.

The most common problem with these cars is blowing head gaskets. The reason very simply is there are not enough head bolts to retain the head adequately under the extreme cylinder pressures that our Buicks produce.

There are many type of head gaskets that try to eliminate this problem. Under extreme cylinder pressure, three things can happen, the head can lift stretching the head bolts, the head can deflect or the block can deflect. In each case as soon as combustion gasses are blown by the fire ring the paper or graphite backing gets whittled away. This continues until there is no support for the fire ring the fire ring blows out. Even the wire lock style gaskets are susceptible to this flaw.

The factory GM 100% steel shim gaskets are the toughest most indestructible gaskets on the market today. The tricky part about these gaskets is sealing them at the water jackets. Jay Carter worked closely with the engineers from General Electric to develop a sealer for this specific application. The factory GM steel shim head gaskets must be modified to work properly with this sealer. The application of this sealer is also critical. The engineers at RJC Racing combined all of these premium materials and procedures and made them available in a kit with detailed instructions. The "Bullet Proof Head Gasket Kit" just flat works. If installed properly they will hold up under the most extreme conditions. We have experienced that even if the head lifts under extreme load the memory in the stamped ribs combined with the adhesion properties of the GE silicon keeps the gasket from leaking. If you ever do lift the head, usually all that is required is a retorque on the head bolts and your up and running for the next round.

RJC owns.

People use Powerstroke ICs in GNs, the problem is with the El Camino there isn't as much room in the grill. Also, when using that IC with a GN you have to cut quite a bit to make it fit. I MIGHT be able to do something like that, but I think that core will be too large.

I have a stock location laying around that came off my blue T-Type that will be plenty to get into the 10s, I just don't want to scrape it everywhere I drive.

You have plenty of room in the bed for a uber large IC. Just cut holes in the floor of the bed and run duct work up to the IC. Solved.

Street car, man. I want a 10 second (or faster) car I can drive from here to CA and back without worry and with a dirt bike and street bike in the bed.

FMIC is what's up, I just need to customize some shit to make it happen. I was hoping it would bolt up. Ohwell, welcome to a hybird.

"Damn, It says bulletproof".....

I think I will be replacing headgaskets like a whore this summer....

That stuff work pretty well on your GN stuff?..

No you won't.

Cometics or even a decent felpro and headstuds and it will never be a problem.

i know a guy thats running an intercooler off a saab on his, it worked out pretty well. i havent looked under the front of a camino in a while though so i dont remember whats there.

ive always wanted to make an intercooler setup on one that mounts flat in the bed suspended below the window. i figure the circulating current in the bed would cool it well. before i bought the buick i was planning on ls swapping a 71 camino and eventually doing a rear mount turbo and running the intercooler like that