Boats

Lauren

Hey guys I'm thinking about getting a boat for the summer. I want to enjoy leaving work on the weekends this year and spend time with my girls and dog. What are good lakes around here to go spend time? Also I have never owned a boat before, what is a good family boat for my wife our two girls and dog? I'm thinking maybe a pontoon where we can walk around, grill, fish and swim. Anybody got boats here that can help?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No budget in mind. I want something used and something I can get out of easily if we decide we don't enjoy boating. No boating experience really.

Used is good if you want your money back if you don't like it. I wouldn't go too old or too new mid 90s to mid 2000s seems to be the sweet spot. Maybe try a pontoon or a nice sized open bow. You really need to research and see whats best for you. Having no experience, I would highly suggest you make some boating friends like the handful of us on CR and try to pickup what you can. If it was me, I'd pick up a nice quality 18-20 foot open bow with v6 inboard power. How many girls do you have and how old are they? What do you have to tow with?

Alum Creek, Buckeye Lake, Indian Lake, Deer Creak, ect. Plenty of places to boat in central Ohio. Do you have a budget in mind? Do you have any boating experience?

Buckeye lake is a great party lake but VERY shallow. Any deep V boat and you will have issues grounding out and fucking up your prop(s). I prefer to go there on my buddies boat and bar hop and not worry about messing mine up.

No budget in mind. I want something used and something I can get out of easily if we decide we don't enjoy boating. No boating experience really.

If you really want a nice family boat to grill/fish/tube and party on, and don't really care about skiing, I would suggest a nice 18-22ft pontoon with a 150HP engine. Plenty of power to tube and get around the lake with tons of room for your family, friends, and dog.

A coworker is in the same situation as you and has been having great luck finding 1-2yr old used pontoons that fit these criteria for 15-22k. And they hold their value fairly well. They also are not terribly heavy so you don't need a full-size truck or SUV to tow.

Hope this helps!

Marc

Here is an example of what I think is a good starter boat. Sea Ray is a great brand and it will be fun for the family and easy on fuel. Small size so you can learn how to handle a boat. Priced a bit high, I'd value it more around 8k.

https://columbus.craigslist.org/boa/4859641071.html

Here is an example of what I think is a good starter boat. Sea Ray is a great brand and it will be fun for the family and easy on fuel. Small size so you can learn how to handle a boat. Priced a bit high, I'd value it more around 8k.

https://columbus.craigslist.org/boa/4859641071.html

This boat looks great but I can't see us all packing in that tiny thing. I think a pontoon is really what I'm after.

The best boat is the one you don't own. Get a friend with a boat and go out with them...

Dumbest thing ive read today, great helping this guy.

So is the way with new boaters. Everyone wants a floating porch :no:

Nothing wrong with that, i want a pontoon. It will be the next boat

Whats your price range you want to spend is going to be the big key factor here.

Have u ever gone on a pontoon? Alum creek and buckeye lake u can rent them out. Althought they have tiny motors that go 13mph ( yes i have clocked it on gps lol).

Maybe rent one yo ensure u guys do like it.

Edited by Paul

Have you ever been on a boat or do you just like the idea of it?

Take the boater safety coarse and then go rent a pontoon at Alum for a weekend. Do you have any experience pulling a trailer or backing one up?

With zero experience you maybe better off with a Yamaha or Seadoo jet boat so you don't have to worry about the prop with children or forgetting to raise it up when trying to load the boat on the trailer.

I agree with the idea of going out with friends first and seeing what you like/don't like. You really should experience the launching/pulling out and maybe a taste of maintenance before making the investment.

Also...think carefully about when you will be boating. In this climate we have a lot of hobbies and obligations that compete for the good weather days. A boat is a lot of financial and time commitment.

All that being said...if you do join the boating community...welcome aboard.

The best boat is the one you don't own. Get a friend with a boat and go out with them...

this is the best advice of the thread.

i've never owned a boat, but i've seen first hand through my buddy what a money pit they can be. granted, he has a 32' whaler and we fish offshore in florida---they can be a huge $$ pit. find out if you like it, and your family likes it, before you buy a sweet new lawn ornament

absolutely agree, and this is fine advice. I have a close friend with a boat and he loves it and always invites his friends out with him (boating isn't fun alone).

Off topic. For me its a cost/benefit argument. how much time can i spend on the water, how much enjoyment will I get out of it and how expensive will it be? Can I have just as much fun and enjoyment out of something else that costs a fraction of the amount? For me boating in Ohio and central Ohio specifically is an expensive hobby that isn't worth it (my opinion of course).

On topic. if you're just getting into it go cheap, go used. A pontoon is a great option if you have no need to go fast and just want a party on the water (beers on the pier, water on the water) but like other's have said they hold their value. Same friend bought his boat cheap ($1500) put some minor work into the motor and enjoyed it for a season. Next season it needed more work, more money, etc... it got to the point where it wasn't worth the upkeep on that boat so he's been shopping for a new one.

A boat isn't something you want to purchase, if you have no experience with one, and think it will sell quickly if you dislike it.... Boats are a huge money pit. If you're only going to use it a few times, look into renting one, or make friends with someone who has one.

When I loved in south Florida my business partner had a big whaler we took out in the intercostal to party. My best friend has a master craft in Scottsdale and we always hit the lake when I visit. I have been on boats quite a bit but never owned. I know how to tow, and have done it a few times but I will need a refresh before I do it or some help the first time.

I have no idea how much my family will enjoy boating. Our youngest will be about 1 once summer rolls around and my other daughter is 5. They aren't old enough to need a tube behind the boat or ski's. Would be nice to just float and cook and relax. Do some swimming with the oldest and dog and just recharge for the work week.

I'm really thinking pontoon with a cover is best bet.

Pontoon u can tube off of with a 75+hp motor so if u keep it down the road u can still use it.

Boats like anything break and need mantained. Well worth the money.

Also as a heads up, not sure if u can have a bbq on a boat in ohio. I would think u would need to take it ashore. I could be wrong though.

I would highly recommend this, or renting a boat a few times this summer to ensure you not only 1) Will boat enough to justify the cost/maintenance, but also 2) Make sure you find a boat you like.

I've got a 23' Hurricane in our boatslip in FL, and I'm not only happy with the deal I got but it really is the perfect boat for a young family. I not only got recommendations from friends in FL, but also rode in a few different boat styles to get comfy with what we liked.

If this was a car thread, it would be "I'd like a fun ride for the summer!" and getting a convertible while immediately finding out that you hate convertibles. :lol:

If you do go out with a friend, be sure to chip in on gas money. Don't be that dick! I don't ask for money when I take people out skiing, but it's usually at least $100-150 a trip between the truck and the skiis.

And don't forget to take off your shoes, learn some boating etiquette.