Boats

Lauren

I love all the guys on here telling him to go out with a friend with his family of 4. Sounds like you like the idea of boating. A simple outboard pontoon wont cost a ton to maintain like half these guys are stressing. It's no more than a "fun" car. Alum marina has rentals. Go rent one a few times this summer and take your kids to the Alum beach to see if lake water is what they like. I would say they are a bit young for it yet, but that's just me.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also as a heads up, not sure if u can have a bbq on a boat in ohio. I would think u would need to take it ashore. I could be wrong though.

Not sure if serious?

I guess I don't know if it is 'legal' in Ohio but there are TONS of people that grill on their boats in the swim area at Alum every weekend. Not with a full-size propane grill but with camper grills that do just fine for a few people.

-Marc

Not sure if serious?

I guess I don't know if it is 'legal' in Ohio but there are TONS of people that grill on their boats in the swim area at Alum every weekend. Not with a full-size propane grill but with camper grills that do just fine for a few people.

-Marc

I've seen full size propane grills on pontoons...

Boats are awesome. I grew up on inboards skiing/wakeboarding/tubing and my daughter has done the same. Started her on a kneeboard when she was 4 or 5. She now skis and wakeboards too.

Pontoons can be fun and cheaper way to get on the water, but they won't do anything well. Just an fyi.

I've seen full size propane grills on pontoons...

I have too...just not at Alum ;)

I really don't think it is against the law here and, if it were my pontoon, I would certainly want a full-size grill to complete the party barge :cool:

If I were going to buy a pontoon, I would be looking for a 22-26ft tritoon with two 250's out back. I saw one at Buckeye last season and every chair was a recaro racing seat and was BADASS.

-Marc

I have been around boats my entire life as dad makes covers/ boat interior. I cant stress how important proper storage and maintenance is.

I would make a list of your intended usage. From there start looking at boats that will allow you to do so. Taking 4 to 6 people on a boat comfortably will be a treat in itself. We had a 19ft chaparral and 5 people was ok without feeling cramped. I can point you in many directions/ point of contacts at about any marina. Also know that if you purchase a boat from a marina its likely a competitor will refuse service. If you buy from a private owner service should be no issue.

Not sure if serious?

-Marc

I swear when taking my license it said no, also a ranger said you couldnt have a open flame on a boat (bbq).

Trying to find a list of laws but cant really find it.

I agree though just dont be a yahoo and you wont get harassed.

So is the way with new boaters. Everyone wants a floating porch :no:

Yes, that's not a boat. That's a set of floats with a deck.

IMO pontoon boating is not boating at all. Its like owning a Prius and calling yourself a car guy.

I have owned a few boats-I have been lucky to at least break even on all of them. But if you have never owned one I would rent or go out with a buddy a few times, and see if its for you. If you dock it, its a big expense. If you trailer it, its a big pain in the ass. If its a boat work a fuck, it will suck down gas like a savage. Its like a hot hooker-looks great on paper but you always feel remorse immediately after use.

IMO pontoon boating is not boating at all. Its like owning a Prius and calling yourself a car guy.

If it gets you and your family out on the water, IMO it's boating. Hell, I consider going out on my kayaks, boating.

I have owned a few boats-I have been lucky to at least break even on all of them. But if you have never owned one I would rent or go out with a buddy a few times, and see if its for you. If you dock it, its a big expense. If you trailer it, its a big pain in the ass. If its a boat work a fuck, it will suck down gas like a savage. Its like a hot hooker-looks great on paper but you always feel remorse immediately after use.

Have u not seen newer pontoons now days? They come with wakeboard towers, big motors, and can handle decently. Its not just a big barge that cant move anymore.

See below, how pissed would u be in your twin big block fast boat getting rocked by a pontoon.

Hell, I consider going out on my kayaks, boating.

I spent at least 10 years power boating. Now we just have kayaks and I think I enjoy my time on the water more.

No maintenance, no gas, no launch ramp lines, and no one asks to go out with us (without their own boat). Best of all we get to use parts of the lakes that are abandoned because bigger boats can't get there.

I spent at least 10 years power boating. Now we just have kayaks and I think I enjoy my time on the water more.

No maintenance, no gas, no launch ramp lines, and no one asks to go out with us (without their own boat). Best of all we get to use parts of the lakes that are abandoned because bigger boats can't get there.

Exactly! And we can get into the fishing spots that no big boat can reach.

Is there a lake or place to boat in Sunbury or on Sunbury road? I see lots of docks by the old bel lago. This is close to our house and I could see us going more often versus driving an hour to buckeye.

Stupid question, are all of these lakes gross to swim in?

Is there a lake or place to boat in Sunbury or on Sunbury road? I see lots of docks by the old bel lago. This is close to our house and I could see us going more often versus driving an hour to buckeye.

Stupid question, are all of these lakes gross to swim in?

Hoover Res is a 10 hp limit.

With that budget I would look for something in the 18-24 foot range. Would look for a nice older bow rider. I hate to say Bayliner but they are good boats for what they are, and an older Capri can be had for your price range.

Here is a fairly new one for 15k

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2008-Bayliner-185-Bowrider-102323755

I have owned many 13 diffrent boats and watercraft from kayaks to supercharged power boats. Each style offers something different and as stated you need to find what fits best for you, your famiky and what you hope to get out of boating. I curently own a pontoon boat and open bow 24' boat. Locally i prefer the pontoon boat as I also did when our kids were younger and didnt have any interest racing around a lake. Racing around a lake is expensive in gas and repairs. Pontoons are easy to maintain, easy to repair and offer a great family time. Locally I wouldnt suggest anything with more power than to ski if you wanted to. Mybpowrr boat is on a lake with 600+ miles of shoreline and it takes me a long time to reach end to end. Its great to go fast but eventually you and the kids just want to swim and hang. If you want i am sure you can probably use my pontoon boat to try out if you want.

Linn that post was for jp.

If your close to hoover then your close to alum creek.

Alum creek is alot better to swim in then buckeye lake.

Lol, that is NOT the reality of pontoon boating.. this is.

http://www.logoboat.com/LOGO/12%20FT/12%20FT.%20NEW%20CONCEPT%204%20%20PERSON%20PONTOON.jpg

Hell the OP said he liked this one for god's sake!!

Looking at that thing, I am surprised they don't require an AARP car to buy it,

I regret the small engine on my pontoon however for anything around here it is fine. I dont get racing from one end to the other of buckeye or alum creek. Depends on the boating your into, around here i just like to ho out grill, swim and just relax. Your never going to be the fastest on the water so why fight it. Just do whats best for the time you can spend with your family which sounds like what your looking for.