1952 Chevy - A family heirloom

Otis Nice

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

very cool truck and very cool history behind it. I would talk to as many people that's still around who remember the truck and write it all down. Down the road the story that accompanies the truck will be just as important or more important than the truck itself if it's kept in the family which I don't see at this point how it couldn't be. As you age this kinda stuff means more and more to you.

Growing up as a kid I heard my entire life about my dad's '61 dodge dart pheonix that was a special order with a 413 cross ram. What I wouldn't give to have that car and a copy of the stories to go with it. He had a ton of stories about that car. Races won, races lost, and running from the cops. Cool stuff. There are only 2 people alive (his brothers) now that remember that car. We talk about it every time I see them.

very cool truck and very cool history behind it. I would talk to as many people that's still around who remember the truck and write it all down. Down the road the story that accompanies the truck will be just as important or more important than the truck itself if it's kept in the family which I don't see at this point how it couldn't be. As you age this kinda stuff means more and more to you.

Growing up as a kid I heard my entire life about my dad's '61 dodge dart pheonix that was a special order with a 413 cross ram. What I wouldn't give to have that car and a copy of the stories to go with it. He had a ton of stories about that car. Races won, races lost, and running from the cops. Cool stuff. There are only 2 people alive (his brothers) now that remember that car. We talk about it every time I see them.

I couldn't agree more. We've documented about as much as we can. Luckily my dad still remembers the day it was purchased from the fire department and saw it live out it's life on the farm, air force bases, etc.

Love the 3100's (3 & 5 window) and more recently the same generation F100's. Curious to understand/see the progress as I was looking @ a Ford F100 1954 model year.

Might be my next project...

Edited by Second Gen
missed something (As usual)

Love the 3100's (3 & 5 window) and more recently the same generation F100's. Curious to understand/see the progress as I was looking @ a Ford F100 1954 model year.

Might be my next project...

I would go for it. It's been fairly simple so far. Time is the only real restriction.

• 1 month later...
Definitely looks like you are making some solid progress. Finding a little time here and a little time there are where you eat these projects. Keep it up! Not sure if you are one of those guys that do plaques and stuff but I always love reading the "Car Story" when I go to shows and there's something on display that shows where it came from and its journey.

Definitely looks like you are making some solid progress. Finding a little time here and a little time there are where you eat these projects. Keep it up! Not sure if you are one of those guys that do plaques and stuff but I always love reading the "Car Story" when I go to shows and there's something on display that shows where it came from and its journey.

I'm sure we'll have something done when it's finished. Right now we're just enjoying the journey. Thanks for the kind words. :)

So we aren't keeping it 100% stock since it tops out at 55 mph down hill with the wind at it's back. New to us rear axle is getting picked up this coming weekend.

• 3 months later...

Quick update, sorry no pics:

Well, dad's wanting to keep this thing as original as possible but would like to exceed 50 MPH and be able to stop. We had trouble finding disc conversions for a 3/4 ton front end so we went on the hunt for a 1/2 ton.

We found one not too far from him. Halfway between Cville and Amanda. We went, and my brother, myself, and dad, using a log chain, pulled it out of the mud. The front end there, was at least, buried axle deep and intertwined with weeds. It was rough. Guy asked $300 and after some talking came down to $250. nothanks.jpg

Dad happened upon a small "car show" down there (Cville) and talked to a guy who knew a guy. Long story somewhat short, we went out last Sunday and looked at a 1948 rolling chassis. The guy bought a complete truck, pulled the body and bed and such, and dropped it on an '89 Dakota chassis I believe he said. He is 76. Wants an old truck but doesn't want beaten to death.

Anyway, dad wanted just the front end, so he asked if the guy would sell it sperately. I intervened.

"How much for the entire chassis?" After all, it had more parts we'd looked for. Simple things like a horn and such.

The dude was like, "$200 and I'll help you load it."

Needless to say, dad is getting it, and I'm buying everything but the front end to start a rat rod style project I've always wanted to do...for $100. That's frame, functional drive train, everything except a body.

Super stoked.

We've been busy but I'll update and add pics when we get his fired up and make more progress.

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I'll have more updates hopefully this week. The front end with disc brakes is done, the rear end is getting prepped for swap, then it's just the body that needs done. We also drove up north of Flint, Fichigan yesterday and snagged this.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=951&pictureid=8883

Another project after the family '52 is done. It's a '49. Body is solid. Needs 1 cab corner repaired and the floorboards.

Very cool! Hard to hate a good old honest truck. Not overly expensive or complicated to work on, hold a pretty solid value in this market as well. I also TOTALLY understand the having the "next project" lined up! Just try to keep it to 1 on deck at a time! ;)

Very cool! Hard to hate a good old honest truck. Not overly expensive or complicated to work on, hold a pretty solid value in this market as well. I also TOTALLY understand the having the "next project" lined up! Just try to keep it to 1 on deck at a time! ;)

Absolutely. The '52 gets done first. It's too close to quit. And the market on these right now is downright stupid.

Love that truck.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Thanks. We're pretty happy with it.

• 4 weeks later...

Been a lot going on with work and vacay's and fam crap, but the rear end is getting swapped now. The I6 and 4 on the floor with granny gear was geared so low that grandpa never used 1st and at full throttle this thing topped out at an astonishing 50-55.

Bored out the engine when it was rebuilt and now a 12 bolt from a '65 Impala will help get it to a neck breaking 70. :lol:

21270866_1637289209628161_2534335376688331745_n.jpg

If it wasn't to be used as a heavy hauler, please consider reducing the spring rates on both ends. It would provide better and softer ride.

Already removed them. ;)

Was a 3/4 ton hauling water for the Adams Co FD originally. SUPER rough ride. Now that we've removed some, both front and back, we'll see how she does once completed and adjust from there.

• 1 month later...

I thought I had shared this somewhere but tonight CB has informed me that I hadn't.

A couple months ago (IIRC) dad and I ventured north of Flint in TSUN to get this. It's on deck.

http://image.ibb.co/b0hKVb/20620911_1614218408601908_7555493762781800446_n.jpg