Home Improvement Thread II (2018)

Zx2guy19

Well, this house has been “fun”.

Since my last post, we’ve done a monstrous amount of work, and this weekend will be one of the biggest yet. Shooting for electrical, plumbing and hvac inspection next Friday, and structural the week after so we can start to insulate and drywall.

If anyone wants to come take a look at the house and what it takes to rehab a house of this magnitude, anyone is welcome to stop by on any weekend.

Pics:

0dc6095d3cb20fda4054ad6d4420d2f6.jpg

71bff9db5ad5e8d503c7bc84e54c49ac.jpg

78f3cbb3ebde0037b530e13018678153.jpg

92165cca6f00b958e2c275dbb22142c6.jpg

3952614b210cefc1e20cf86915decb92.jpg

ac8e6577cb88e2fcb0a4ec0715c71d15.jpg

21a434eeaa12de09aace63d1a084b0b2.jpg

d25856774c1b323aa92b1a7d62be904c.jpg

b7adecb1d6307623813b5ec063dfd29c.jpg

5dcf0e60fdcb996a6daca279fc58e156.jpg

d35f2858fc41ca6beaf3c5ce79f884ae.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was over the blandness of my living room so I did some quick additions: board and batten

Before

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1016&pictureid=9048

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1016&pictureid=9049

After

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1016&pictureid=9053

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1016&pictureid=9052

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1016&pictureid=9051

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1016&pictureid=9050

Not bad for only 120 bucks. Next is to replace that hideous door.

Over the weekend my dad and I did some small quick work so I can begin doing some prep to sell my condo to move.

First was wainscoting and chair rail in the laundry room. Not hugely visible with the washer and dryer in place but honestly it seems like a huge improvement to me. I really want to take down the wire shelving and replace it with cabinets and what not but im not really wanting to put that much into it.

39531983570_cc54b24fd1_b.jpg40445178125_d721cf95e0_b.jpg

41341341341_65e5a9edb7_b.jpg

41341341251_febdd3d458_b.jpg

Next project was dealing with some dead space in the kitchen, lack of storage and counter top. We ended up grabing some cabinets removing the base and adding legs and putting on a butcher block top. Still not stained but that will happen next week I hope.

41341338871_1851b56cb6_b.jpg

27469257108_4f0236e03d_b.jpg

Next major project will be painting the garage, sanding and painting the trim and doors then probably remove that fan in the kitchen and replace with something else.

Done. Nice thought, Brad.

I'll mention that I'm finally replacing treated 6"x6" timbers that surround the old brick patio in my backyard. $50 for a 16'-20' length from Menards...gonna bring my Sawzall and trim it at the store before hauling it back home. :lol:

R0EoCTql.jpg

Damn carpenter ants! Gonna pull up some of the bricks and re-sand the base underneath.

Since my last post, we’ve done a monstrous amount of work, and this weekend will be one of the biggest yet. Shooting for electrical, plumbing and hvac inspection next Friday, and structural the week after so we can start to insulate and drywall.

If anyone wants to come take a look at the house and what it takes to rehab a house of this magnitude, anyone is welcome to stop by on any weekend.

Lots of progress. I would want to keep the second window to the left on the second floor. Keeps the house somewhat unique but I could see it not being feasible.

Lots of progress. I would want to keep the second window to the left on the second floor. Keeps the house somewhat unique but I could see it not being feasible.

Thanks man- are you referencing the one on the side of the house or the back?

Either way, that's the master bathroom. So we'd either have a giant window in the shower, or one over the double vanity. Neither work unfortunately.

Thanks man- are you referencing the one on the side of the house or the back?

Either way, that's the master bathroom. So we'd either have a giant window in the shower, or one over the double vanity. Neither work unfortunately.

The diamond on the front. 6th picture

d35f2858fc41ca6beaf3c5ce79f884ae.jpg

This reminds me of the summer I spent helping rehab a fire-gutted house back in college. It was crazy to see how much of a difference you make when you're down to the skeleton. Looking forward to the finished product.

Where is this house located again?

Edited by Fiji ST
Shortening post.

The diamond on the front. 6th picture

Dude. Nothing in this house gave me greater pleasure than ripping that fucker out of there lol. I hated it.

This reminds me of the summer I spent helping rehab a fire-gutted house back in college. It was crazy to see how much of a difference you make when you're down to the skeleton. Looking forward to the finished product.

Where is this house located again?

Yeah, it's unreal how much we've changed and found once we gutted it down to the studs.

It's located in Old Town East. We paid $77,500 for the house with the lot next door (which we were offered 30k for and declined). We are projecting a $120k rehab budget and would like to list for $329k.

Brad.....holy shit man, what a project. Looking GREAT so far! It's definitely coming along. Has it been pretty smooth for the most part?

Thanks Steve. Things have gone relatively well- a few surprises and we got ass fucked by our electrician. Took $2800 and never heard from him again.

I've had a lot of learning from this house- I now know that costs associated with a 1,100 square foot RENTAL do not apply to a 2100 square foot FLIP. So, I've had to rework the budget easily 8-10 times.

But as you see, I've come a long way from buying discounted bathroom vanities from you at Lowe's for my shitty hilltop rental, HA!

Just wrapped up refinishing the original 1900 pine hardwood floors in my place over the weekend. That was a much bigger job than I thought it would be, but they turned out great. I'll try to get some pictures posted here.

Tim, I saw those on FB. What sealer did you use? I wish I could get my hardwood floors as shiny as yours are!

Tim, I saw those on FB. What sealer did you use? I wish I could get my hardwood floors as shiny as yours are!

I did 3 coats using this.

https://www.minwax.com/wood-products/hardwood-floors/minwax-super-fastdrying-polyurethane-for-floors

The can says a gallon will cover 600-700 sq ft. My lower level is ~630 sq ft. The first coat took 3 gallons (most likely due to the bare pine soaking up so much as well as all the deep joints and voids that were getting filled) 2nd coat took 1.5 gallons and the last coat took 1. I used semi-gloss on the first coat and saw how good it looked with a sheen, so decided to do the gloss for the final 2 coats.

Tim, I’d definitely love to see some pics!

Lots of work at the house this weekend. Made some big decisions on the design and got a shitload of framing done. I’ve been working on the soffit downstairs and the 2nd floor laundry, and my partner has been doing some structural stuff upstairs. The rest of the crew was in the (soon to be finished) attic.

I'd love your guys' opinion: all along, we were going to patch and refinish the floors in the 3 bedrooms. We brought a design guy in and he suggested just doing carpet in the bedrooms, because people like coziness and it'd be A LOT easier on us (patching floors sucks balls). Plus we could use some of the flooring to repair the downstairs. We'd still have the hallway/landing upstairs as hard wood, all the stairs, and the entire downstairs as the original hardwood. Thoughts?

Not sure if the videos will work, but here’s where we are!

Edit: vids don’t work.

c490c0493758bf70ffd9ac47925d3bfc.jpg

702ca09c85268f07b773c506ffb9da3e.jpg

I'd love your guys' opinion: all along, we were going to patch and refinish the floors in the 3 bedrooms. We brought a design guy in and he suggested just doing carpet in the bedrooms, because people like coziness and it'd be A LOT easier on us (patching floors sucks balls). Plus we could use some of the flooring to repair the downstairs. We'd still have the hallway/landing upstairs as hard wood, all the stairs, and the entire downstairs as the original hardwood. Thoughts?

I think that's a smart way of looking at it. How much cheaper is carpet in the bedrooms compared to hardwood?

I think that's a smart way of looking at it. How much cheaper is carpet in the bedrooms compared to hardwood?

Carpet is actually more expensive than refinishing the hardwood. Where we save money is labor to patch the floors and making sure they're perfect.

My house in Old Town has hardwood throughout, with the exception of the master bedroom. I like carpet in bedrooms personally. Most people put rugs down anyway.

I'll try to get some photos added. From what it looks like, you've got pine floors in that house as well. If you are removing any pieces about 6-8' long, I need about a 4x8' section to patch a decent hole in one of my rooms. Either that, or I'm just going to carpet the upstairs bedrooms.

All in, I have under $700 in the refinishing of my lower level. That includes sander(s) rental, abrasives, poly & those supplies.

COMBO BREAKER with the build threads...

https://krisbunda.com/blog/2011/05/21/lawn-care-overseeder-how-to-use-an-over-seeding-machine/

Has anyone overseeded their lawn? It seems like a good way to dethatch, aerate and add seed at the same time. Looking to do this to get some health to my lawn this year.

COMBO BREAKER with the build threads...

https://krisbunda.com/blog/2011/05/21/lawn-care-overseeder-how-to-use-an-over-seeding-machine/

Has anyone overseeded their lawn? It seems like a good way to dethatch, aerate and add seed at the same time. Looking to do this to get some health to my lawn this year.

Yes and it felt useless. It was an early 2000's house that had little to no topsoil and the yard was hard as a rock even after rain and pre watering. Since then on the past 2 houses I've switched to aerating and then seeding instead with better results. Though you probably have far better soil so it may work better.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Pretty product weekend once again. Got the soffit built out, tub and shower set, laundry room finished and 99% of plumbing is done, along with HVAC and attic fully framed out. Electrical is also done and got signed off this morning, woot!

I dreamt about soffits for 3 days after this. But my ass could do pull-ups from it and it didn’t budge. Success.

acddb0ab4ec82688a8a404e5411731ce.jpg

23a40e7d2a795bd86b3659322029788d.jpg

69de3a38ef466a58abee4a151632716e.jpg

d4b0d0a1c9736a9ea8de9bd7abb05533.jpg

f164755dd4745ce44f03241f50dc2ebf.jpg

This is having can lights installed to create a reading nook.

2657c63f9be1c47023485e5b5a32c6b1.jpg

Half bath downstairs, complete new addition.

c27461d84cd42ca99241f47979724b69.jpg

And finally, the “view” when you walk in

2829ccaef0d122ad1508f14fa7858581.jpg