Fishing thread 2019

Mojoe

Columbus fishing Expo.

https://www.columbusfishingexpo.com/

Anyone going this weekend? I'm shooting to be there Sunday for a couple of seminars I'm interested in. I've posted about this every year on here and know there are several people on CR who fish.

Anyone on here target Muskies? I'm fine hitting large and smallmouth bass all day. But, muskies are what I really want to hit more of. Our Canada trips have been great for getting on Pike and the other people in the boat getting muskies, I'm just not pulling them in. I'm be hitting all the "go to" lakes for them in Ohio this year. Didn't know if anyone on here is after them and interested in linking up for them?

Vid from last June's fly in trip to Northern Ontario to fish for Pike. Amazing views up there and landing on the water was pretty cool in such a small plane.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

rod holders and trolling at alum Joe you WILL catch muskies I promise

chrome/black hot n tot trolled 2.5 mph 80 feet of line out.. go over the sharp tips of points around 12 fow and make sure the lure bangs the bottom you'll catch saugeye cats bass and everything that swims in there this way too.

Dammit Derek. Glad to see you post here. Seems we are the only ones excited for fishing.

The thing with musky fishing for me is, I don’t want to troll for them. I want the cast, and then to work the lure and have it get it. Although the boat is on point to be able to troll, I have the rod holders and the 9.9 kicker on. I will go after them that way at some time. But, I want that cast and catch. I also want to hit the sauger and eye’s a bit this year too. I want some fish in the freezer.

Joe, hopefully I'll be posting some catches in here when we move to the new house. I'm interested to see what's in the pond. Supposedly it's stocked with largemouth, bluegill, channel cats, and stripers. I'm not sure beyond that.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Sounds like a fun pond Shaun. Let me know if I can help with any pond care info or managing the fish. Blue Herron’s will ruin you stock. Do all you can to chase them off.
I will definitely take you up on that. I grew up around farm ponds, but it's been a lot of years since I thought about maintenance of one. I want to make sure it stays clean.

I've never fished in my life. I have a ~4 acre pond out back that is supposedly overstocked and my good fren Miller is gonna bring his poles over this Summer and he's gonna teach me. I figure anything that is 60% drinking, 80% cool stories, and 40% drinking till you don't remember math sounds good to me.

Stocked my pond last Fall with Bass/Hybrid bluegill and Emurs. Also added perch for fun. Went to the Fishing expo to do some research on aerators. Ended up getting information from two companies and bought some new plastics (Hellgrammite) and some cold weather gloves for next month (Ohio Power)..

Like many peeps on the forum did not make enough time last year to fish. Hoping this year will be better.

I just pm’d you about aeration.

I was at the show Friday and Sunday. There were some good deals to be had there. This was the first year I’ve had several venders know my as a customer. That might be a bad thing. It was great to catch up with them though.

Good to hear you are doing some stocking. I moved away from hybrid BG and have been pushing regular BG. They spawn more often, four times a year, and that means more for for the bass to grow. Perish are going to spawn around March, if the bass didn’t eat them over the Winter. Keep an eye out for them to see how they did. Try to get some minnows in there when the weather breaks, for that Sring forging.

Darn, I completely missed the expo this weekend. Went last year and had a good time. I mostly go wading for crappie at Hoover. Only about 2.5 more months for that. Hope to make it out on my buddies boat for some catfishing this year too.

Where do you buy your minnows?

https://www.atac.cc/contact-us/

There are other places with better looking websites, but these guys have had the best pricing and their fish transport and live well once they get to mynpond. And, they often give me extra.

Jones fish is ok, but their pricing is pretty high.

Fender fish hatchery is nice too. Steve is the owner and will likely be the one to deliver the fish. I order some fish from him now and then. There is good info on his site. http://fendersfishhatchery.com

I spend a good bit on minnows for forging. I’m on their stocking plan, which is 50lbs a year, split into fall and spring. Comes out to $7.xx a pound, or like $400 for the year.

I have a creek at the edge of my property. 2 years ago I started minnow trapping there. I love it when it rains now. I’ll get 50-200 big creek chubs to throw in the pond. Sometimes bluegill, frogs and crawfish too. Of course your common minnow is in there too. I do all I can to add food to the habitat. There is on minnow I look out for that is spotted. I think it’s called a dart. I don’t put those in there. Read they can be a breeding problem or something. I get catfish in the traps too. I don’t put catfish in my pond anymore and pulled the ones I had out. They eat everything and take away from my bass food and population. If you’re stocking fish, big cats are eating your money before those fish can grow big enough to not be eaten. Any bass over 12” to buy and stock is going to be $5-7 a pound. That adds up quick and anything smaller than that will be eaten by catfish. Even at 12”, big cats eat them.

I bought a boat last year and plan to catch my own stocking plan other than the forging.

• 2 weeks later...

Wrapping up the move. I need to dig up your old pond maintenance thread, try to get a jump on maintenance before the algae spreads.

I'll get some daytime shots and see what you think.

9881b43da74ac263615a54b1dae5dd9d.jpgf0246cbbb925a661ac466479c5a2fc68.jpg

Looks amazing so far. Congrats. If you would like, PM me where you live and I could stop out and talk to you about things. One good thing I see is a step grass edge into the pond. That will frustrate geese and may be enough to keep them away. Ducks are friends, geese gotta go. Also, Blue Heron's don't like a step edge. Depending on the water depth at the edge, this could deter them from liking your pond too. Shooting a Heron is a $1000 fine and 6 months in jail, but when they are eating all your stocked fish, you start to consider it.

Looks amazing so far. Congrats. If you would like, PM me where you live and I could stop out and talk to you about things. One good thing I see is a step grass edge into the pond. That will frustrate geese and may be enough to keep them away. Ducks are friends, geese gotta go. Also, Blue Heron's don't like a step edge. Depending on the water depth at the edge, this could deter them from liking your pond too. Shooting a Heron is a $1000 fine and 6 months in jail, but when they are eating all your stocked fish, you start to consider it.
I will definitely take you up on that offer. Let me get a bit settled in and I'll be in touch. One of these days I'll figure out the ccw class as well.

• 1 month later...

couple days at buckeye... erie was too iffy to make the trip up. crappie are not where they should be given the water temps. Saugeye are near current and bait if you can find it. Water was up to 65* in the coves today and 61 on the main lake. Multiple tournaments every weekend so the fish are getting alot of pressure. tuesday night bass tournies, crappie and bass this weekend, bass and saugeye next weekend.

anyone wants to fish, my schedules weird with the business but reach out and we'll get together somehow

Got home last night and threw the line in the water. I could see schooling bass on the beds, about 6 of them. They were mostly around 10” and one that was over 12”. I was throwing a storm 360 swim bait, chartreuse. Bam! Instant fish on. And then three more on. Ok, this is fun. Started working the pond and caught about ten. Was able to see a lot of fish and probably the best population and size that I have had in the pond. Seeing fish big enough to spawn and a good population of them, gives me good hope for getting the pond how I want it.