Fishing thread 2019

Mojoe

I took my kids fishing last weekend. Spent a couple of hours at a small pond in Hilliard. My son caught 3 blue gill, which is the usual catch there. Both of my kids like doing it and it's awesome for me to be outside with them. I used to fish with my grandpa in Florida when I was my sons age. Loved it and now I get to pass that on :)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great to hear the kids fishing stories.

This time of year I usually have 25lbs of forging minnow added to the pond. It runs about $200 delivered. Last year I set up a series of minnow traps in the creek at the back of our property. I pull in quite a few minnows now. I have canceled my minnow order at this point. When it rains like this, it's easy for me to fill a gallon pal with huge creek chubs, crayfish, minnows, blue gill, and tadpoles. I screen the fish before adding them because I get catfish in the traps too, and don't want those in the pond.

only day off tomorrow, was going to take the boat out, but 15mph constant qinds plus gusts doesn't sound fun.. so going to hit buckeye from the bank for a few hours after i get the kids on the bus. crappie and saugeye hopefully

Went down to Ohio Power again and caught a couple dinks (Small ones). Assuming the big females are starting to bed/spawn and not very active.. Still always a great trip and a workout (Averaged 8-10 miles a day trekking up and down the hills). Maybe next year..

• 1 month later...

Got a couple hours in before high tide this morning. They were hitting like crazy, but I need to pick up some squid and smaller hooks. I was having trouble keeping shrimp on the hook.

47612ecee037cd2fa06f54a122b6da61.jpg0c1f402bbac5bf9ffd84592b8926fcfc.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

What's the fight like with one of those guys?
They fight pretty decent, this one broke the water 3 times. The problem is that typically you are using such a large surf pole, that it's hard to appreciate the fight.

That has to be a neat catch. Cool fish, and thanks for posting pics.
Atlantic sharpnose. Hopefully I'll get into some more interesting catches this week. I switched late to a floater rig with some smaller size circle hooks. Definitely got more action on it in the rising tide.

Hopefully I can spot the channels again on the incoming.

Just made one lap around the pond before dinner. Nothing huge, but they're growing. Channel cat about broke my ultralight before throwing the hook.e8755ab4ecde32ae3a6604c748bd1144.jpgd1ad2432608840c29be070bc039c22ec.jpg398e112a040430d73a2baf528cc946a9.jpg

• 5 months later...
You'll want to trap him and get rid of him. It will make hols in your banks and eat your fish
Definitely, picking up a trap at TSC. Any idea if he'd float after a shot with the 22LR? I couldn't believe how close he let me get.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Doesn't seem to be much fishing going on around here to designate a new thread. Must be the Covid.

Pulled this old girl out with my ultra light, had to really wear her out to get her beached. I've only got two or three channels in there, so I leave them because the kids like feeding them. Bass are looking a little hungry, I need to stock forage fish badly.b0bcd656d30c36e6265cde1f5bdb5e70.jpg

Still growing my bass (Maybe 1-1.25 pounds) and the pond looks healthy. The combination of the blue dye, fountain and the Amur's seems to be keeping the muck out of the pond..

Joe still using the old fountain you sold me about three years ago. Go out about once a week to toss a black and chartreuse worm. Bluegill are pretty big (Hybrid and regular) have not caught any of the perch I stocked.

Still growing my bass (Maybe 1-1.25 pounds) and the pond looks healthy. The combination of the blue dye, fountain and the Amur's seems to be keeping the muck out of the pond..

Joe still using the old fountain you sold me about three years ago. Go out about once a week to toss a black and chartreuse worm. Bluegill are pretty big (Hybrid and regular) have not caught any of the perch I stocked.

My perch are tough to catch as well. I haven't fished it hard, but I do see them come up for pellets.

Glad that fountain is working out and the other care is working out on your pond. Sounds like you are enjoying it. Perch are going to do best on minnow or worm and bobber probably.

Have either of you seen a good price on an aerator or a diy with a continuous run air pump? I have the fountain, but I'd like to run an aerator in the deep end, and hopefully eliminate some evaporation from the fountain during the day.