What did you do for your ride today? (v3.0)

Not Brian

Old thread was getting buggy and double-posting.

I got my AFM disabler for the truck today, popped it in the OBD port, and took a quick spin around town. I got tired of the exhaust sounding like shit while cruising as well as lurching a bit when switching from 4 to 8.. now it doesn't do that.

1ySVSlY.jpg?2

Scott worked his magic at Dynotune and my car dyno’d at 359. I’m very happy given it’s just basic bolt-ons. I have a video too but I’m not smart enough to figure out how to post it.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1007&pictureid=9281

I got my AFM disabler for the truck today, popped it in the OBD port, and took a quick spin around town. I got tired of the exhaust sounding like shit while cruising as well as lurching a bit when switching from 4 to 8.. now it doesn't do that.

^ nice! Disabling AFM would be my first priority if I owned one of those.

Lionhart Tires - the finest that Thailand has to offer. :lol:

^ LOL, what car are those going on?

Scott worked his magic at Dynotune and my car dyno’d at 359. I’m very happy given it’s just basic bolt-ons. I have a video too but I’m not smart enough to figure out how to post it.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1007&pictureid=9281

Very nice! Impressive numbers. My '98 had bolt ons and a tune, and hit 355/369 if I remember right.

Bowtie emblem has dirt stuck inside it and looks like hell...

http://i.imgur.com/2QB33BDl.jpg

Plastidip is an improvement.....

http://i.imgur.com/iHMESnbl.jpg

But it didn't look great up close, so I pulled it off. I'm going to get some vinyl instead.

Also debadged the back...

http://i.imgur.com/HaMKAF3l.jpg

I used plastidip on my front bowtie and it's held up okay for 2-3 years, but probably needs hit again. Can't justify paying $150 for a black one online.

Yeah, that's too damn much. Hell, I can probably get some 3M vinyl for like $10 and get mine looking almost as good as that emblem. The Camaro bowtie looks a bit more "3D" so I'm not sure how easy vinyl would be

great location. I love running there. Now only if they could open the New Albany stairs side. I hopefully can do sprints on the soccer field in a month if my left hip/hamstring doesn't crap itself again.

Miller I'm jelly of the viper. It looks great.

Thanks for the complements. That car has come a long way from when I brought it home.

Some rando sunburian still roles up, looked at it, complemented Brian's camaro and drove away in his chubby.

2f7.jpg

We hardcore Chevy here in the Bury, boi! ;) Actually, it's like everywhere else, Honda's all over.

Nice Viper man. I wanted a 96+ GTS blue with white stripes, it was my dream car for a long time.

Ordered some new rubber for the Slingshot...Nitto NT555 G2, stepped up the back to the widest I can fit easily on the factory rim, just slightly an inch wider then factory at 295/35/18. Curious to see how much the new wider tire increases grip / acceleration when warmed up or be about the same as on the OEM Kendra tires. Especially since it is the single rear wheel drive...

Replaced the battery, oil change, checked everything over to make sure in good shape for Tail of the Dragon in a month or two with Nick. Now we just need to get the Bassani downpipe and side exit exhaust on before the trip...

Not really what I did today, but what I've been dealing with for the last 3 months.

January 1st I picked up a new-to-me 2013 Audi S6 with 50k miles on it. 2 weeks later the car started misfiring like a son of a bitch and would not even run or start if the engine was at operating temperature. Car did not throw any codes, so after some head scratching and Google searching figured out that the symptoms point to turbo failure.

As I was doing some research online, I came to find out that this is a massive problem on the 4.0T engines that are found in the Audi S6/S7/RS7/A8/S8 and Bentley Continentals. The issue is an oil filter screen that is placed before the turbos that gets so clogged that no oil reaches the turbos. Poorly designed oil screen combined with the 10k mile oil change interval, these turbies are poppin' like Orville Redenbacher.

Audi actually has a TSB out that proves that they are completely aware of this issue, and that the oil screen needs to be replaced with the latest revision to prevent turbo failure, along with an oil backflow valve and the PCV valve (which is about the size of a shoe box). I tried to fight Audi on this and to get them to fix this at their expensive. Some owners had success where Audi either covered all or a percentage of the repairs. After a bunch of back and forth, towing the car to Audi, they told me to go pound sand since I did not buy the car from an Audi dealer...total bullshit. I reported the issue to the NTSHA. Audi quoted me $10k for parts and labour, btw.

So my options were either replace them with stock S6 turbos or replace them with stock RS7 turbos that bolt right on and cost about the same....

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1035&pictureid=9287

...I went RS7, as well as replacing all the TSB revision/replacement parts and vowing to never go over 5000 miles without getting an oil change.

Once all the new parts were in, next was to get a custom tune so that I'd be able to take advantage of the new, larger turbos. A typical stage 3 setup would include RS turbos, downpipes (gets rid of primary cats) and an upgraded boost cooler...I did not want to go down that rabbit hole, I'd like to keep the car as stock, comfortable and reliable as possible.

I reached out to VAST Performance in Detroit who did a hell of a job on my B5 S4 about 10 years ago and they said that they could do a custom, mild stage 3 tune on it that would not burn up the cats and keep everything nice and reliable.

Here is a Facebook post they made about it.

They did an ECU and TCU tune on it and according to them the ECU is very accurate at reading torque, which says it's making 610ft/lbs on a conservative 22psi. According to them, there is easily another 100ft/lbs waiting there if I decide to do downpipes. The car pulls great, shifts nice and quick, and there is no fucking way anyone can tell it's not 100% stock.

Maybe I'll try to come out and make a couple passes at the track day to see how she runs. Will probably also get her on a dyno just to see what kind of power it's making. Who still has an AWD dyno around on the North side?

Edited by kickass