I did a Volvo thing.

zeitgeist57

Last week, I'm lying in bed instead of sleeping, and a FB ad popped up for a super-cheap Volvo. Without hesitation, I post up that I'll buy it.

1D5KUQ3l.png

1Xx56eXl.png

I need another car like we need Al-Qaeda in Columbus, but here we are. :lol: I can't help myself if the following formula shows itself to me:

- Less than $1000

- Working A/C

- No visible body rust.

qVFLTgXl.jpg

First things first, I needed to diagnose the engine misfire. Car had been sitting under a tree for months so the battery was totally dead. PO drove it to the car wash but it died again in his driveway. Engine shook like crazy. I swapped coilpacks to see if cyl-2 moved to cyl-1. It did. New coil pack (supplied by the PO!) and the engine runs smoothly. :thumbup:

https://i.imgur.com/jAVwTjCl.mp4

I've never seen my 8-year old son so excited about a car. He's all about Volvo S60s now. I told him - since it was a $900 car - that we could "turn it into a race car" and he's all about it. First mod, of course, was to cut out the suitcase rear muffler. Sounds much better now but I need to finish a pipe out the rear of the car.

uqkeOO1l.jpg

Plans are to:

- Update maintenance - timing belt, sparkplugs, oil/filters/fluids, new brakes, front wheel bearing

- Finish rear exhaust pipe.

- Lower it with springs (which may be odd as apparently the AWD likes to rake up in the rear no matter what)

- Wheels and tires

- Get some race numbers for the doors and hood. Joel likes the number "18" for some reason. :)

- Rip it around to my son's delight, probably end up selling it or taking it to FL as the new beach car to replace my rusty '04 Cavalier.

If anyone has a line on some 17"/18" 5x108 wheels, please let me know!

Edited by zeitgeist57

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know if the S60 2.5T AWD has the same springs as the S60R? These Vogtlands SAY on eBay that they fit...

https://www.amazon.com/Vogtland-956919-Lowering-Spring-Springs/dp/B01EJ2A97I/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=vogtland+956919&qid=1568733580&sr=8-1

no the S60R had the adaptive suspension they may fit but are different

also the headrest thing - you hit the brakes hard when you do it so their heads go forward then slam back into the now down headrest

downpipe/cat delete + IPD tune and you're over 350ftlbs but also that'll cost twice the price of the car in mods lol

Gotta let me drive it! I miss my slammed s60 :)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTuDOC7lVo296x5G3yHDuKNHQGajIyZ8BrSktcRRUCHwYMxbZL0Kw

also the headrest thing - you hit the brakes hard when you do it so their heads go forward then slam back into the now down headrest

downpipe/cat delete + IPD tune and you're over 350ftlbs but also that'll cost twice the price of the car in mods lol

You're welcome to give it a spin. I'm also being told that the 5-speed automatic doesn't like a ton of TQ.

Honestly, the cut exhaust sounds great. I'd be more curious if anyone's done a manual boost controller to up PSI a couple of points. Aside from maybe a pod filter for choo-choo noises, the car is great as it sits. Just working on appearance and bolt-on mods.

Nicely done Clay.

Thanks, Nick!

Steal me some Focus RS/ST take-offs. ;)

Saw that, thought about it for a second, but was like, "What am I gonna do with a Volvo?" Then saw that you'd claimed it like an hour later. It never occurred to me to cut off the muffler and put racecar numbers on it :)

Greg, I need to add some door stickers to my existing windshield banner invoice :D

The R's adaptive suspension only affected the shock's stiffness though, suspension-wise (it also changed how quickly boost rolled in etc.).

I agree with the IPD tune. Mine had one and it moved the fuck out.

You're welcome to give it a spin. I'm also being told that the 5-speed automatic doesn't like a ton of TQ.

Honestly, the cut exhaust sounds great. I'd be more curious if anyone's done a manual boost controller to up PSI a couple of points. Aside from maybe a pod filter for choo-choo noises, the car is great as it sits. Just working on appearance and bolt-on mods.

Pffft. Give the trans torque till she pops. BECAUSE $900 RACECAR (srs, strip all the weight, put lowest springs, and autocross this bish for luls)

Pod/removing stock airbox will give you quite a bit of woosh noise. You can literally pull the air box out and slip a filter with a 3" ID inlet right over the pipe and let it sit there no problem. Guess how I know.

The wastegates on these are really simple. There is a threaded rod you can adjust the length of and slightly alter the boost pressure and boost profile. You can also just vice grip the thing closed ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

$900 cars require $9 solutions. I want to hear it straight piped, stat.

:lol: You have issues.

First mod, of course, was to cut out the suitcase rear muffler.

Color me surprised.

- Lower it with springs

Ok...now I AM surprised!

Electrical leak...

In my line of work I've dumbed down things and compared them to plumbing (flow, etc) but never in my life have I said, "electrical leak". I too lol'd at that.

Congrats, Clay. Helluva pick up for the price.