I did a Volvo thing.

zeitgeist57

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're serious, I can find you a set for dirt cheap.

No worries, Nick - I think the eBay specials I saw for $599/set of 4 will suit the car well. Thank you though.

Focus has a smaller centerbore than the S60.

The centerbore for the S60 is 63.4...it's smaller than that?

Plastic hubcentric rings are like $5 shipped on eBay now. :lol:

No worries, Nick - I think the eBay specials I saw for $599/set of 4 will suit the car well. Thank you though.

The centerbore for the S60 is 63.4...it's smaller than that?

Plastic hubcentric rings are like $5 shipped on eBay now. :lol:

I think the older ones are the 65.1mm, but I dont know for sure. 2011+ says 63.4

But I also Google the Focus is 63.3, so thats pretty damned small lol

$900 cars require $9 solutions. I want to hear it straight piped, stat.

Indeed. One of my favorite things about cheap cars (as opposed to my wife's Odyssey or my CTS-V) is that I can have fun with projects on the cheap, and not worry TOO much about McSteaks.

After lopping off the old muffler, I got a C6 Z06 exhaust system from a CR member and got to choppin'. Used the factory Volvo tip and hanger to finish off the 2.25" exhaust.

Tools:

HF Angle grinder - 40grit cutoff wheels, grinding stone, 80grit flapper disc

HF 14" chop-saw

HF Flux-core (.035) welder

q64mIMtl.jpg

vQnUUR3l.jpg

vtFCxgEl.jpg

Tell Alex Lindner I'M LOOKIN' FOR HIM...:lol:

v7JWg84l.jpg

TiL: if you're making straight piping go up, down, and around corners, spend the time to make JOINTS THAT MATE UP FLAT AND SMOOTH. I've got a few pinhole leaks that aren't the worst...but I'm likely going to drop the whole cat-back to make sure I can seam-weld where I missed some spots and a few gaps I'll have to patch.

Free pipe, my welder, and some beautiful weather = I'm happy with the results. My son is very happy as well. :)

Back when I had my $50 festiva (yes a $50 car, whole other story there) I tried to go to a few exhaust shops just to get a pipe welded from the cat converter to anywhere protruding from under so I could take it to the echeck station and get a fail sticker. With the fail sticker I could get a t tag and drive it while I fixed it. The first shop quoted me $1200, the second was $800 and the third just laughed and said no. I asked if I could just buy a stick of pipe and the guy said sure, so I drove home in that festiva with a ten foot stick of pipe hanging out the window. I swung by advance to grab a few elbows and headed straight to my garage. With my trusty eBay stick welder set on kill, I welded on a straight piece to extend just behind the passenger door, added a 90 then popped another piece on to let it just protrude from under the car. Total cost was like $30! Best part is, this thing smoked like a diesel rollin coal and used more oil than gas but SOAB if I didn’t roll into that echeck station and it passed!

• 2 weeks later...

Ordered lowering springs after cleaning the car and driving it around nearly every day. Been scrambling around FB Marketplace for Volvo or Focus RS/ST wheels for the S60...used options are few and far between. Going to keep the stock rollers for forseeable future.

Called European Auto Works and they never worked on the car (despite the P.O. Suggesting they did work?) so I’m finding small things that were broken or worn but not sure why or how. :lol:

Power window (drivers side) didn’t work. Pulled off door panel to find window regulator sliding block needed snapped into place and the window motor reconnected. FIXED.

Unfortunately, AWD is not engaging...and the solution of a negligent DEM or AOC pump for the Haldex system is a few hundred dollars.:no: will see...

Sounds like you're having some reasonably inexpensive fun, might I suggest you and I throw down in a Daily Volvo Beaters drag race sometime soon?

I think that could definitely be in order! Problem will be in scheduling, not our cars' abilities. :lol: Hit me up sometime.

Anyone having good luck with Letgo? Seems like some weird advertising for 'hood tire shops. OfferUp is better, but still not the marketplace that FB has...

Craigslist...just...died...for car parts. I'm honestly shocked how bad it's gotten.

Ordered lowering springs after cleaning the car and driving it around nearly every day. Been scrambling around FB Marketplace for Volvo or Focus RS/ST wheels for the S60...used options are few and far between. Going to keep the stock rollers for forseeable future.

Called European Auto Works and they never worked on the car (despite the P.O. Suggesting they did work?) so I’m finding small things that were broken or worn but not sure why or how. :lol:

Power window (drivers side) didn’t work. Pulled off door panel to find window regulator sliding block needed snapped into place and the window motor reconnected. FIXED.

Unfortunately, AWD is not engaging...and the solution of a negligent DEM or AOC pump for the Haldex system is a few hundred dollars.:no: will see...

Ahhh the little blue window block. Did two of those on mine.

What springs you go with? I had H&R. It made the ride...more than uncomfortable. Almost 2" drop tho :D

AWD failure is basically expected. I know the S60 AWD is a bit different than the S60R but I'm sure it can still be ghetto engaged.

Ahhh the little blue window block. Did two of those on mine.

What springs you go with? I had H&R. It made the ride...more than uncomfortable. Almost 2" drop tho :D

AWD failure is basically expected. I know the S60 AWD is a bit different than the S60R but I'm sure it can still be ghetto engaged.

First off, the door panel is ridic easy to take off. One of the blue blocks popped off the regulator ball socket...regreased the track and it popped back on? Been operating just fine today with the cooler weather.

I went with Vogtland springs for the S60R I posted earlier. $213 shipped is tough to beat.

I think both S60 and S60R are Haldex units, which uses a pump to pressurize fluid around the clutch packs to engage the rear diff. I haven't even gotten into the system yet but will get around to it at some point. When it was raining last weekend, there was a terrible screeching noise coming from the underside of the car...could hear it through the floorboard. I was guessing it may have been the pump? I don't know.

search "s60 angle gear" that's 99% going to be your problem

the proper fix is $$$$

the race car fix is pull the case just enough and weld it.

From what I read, the angle gear tends to be "bulletproof"*, and the AWD was going to be the AOC pump siezing from dirty/old fluid in the rearend, causing the DEM computer to fry.

* - I do like this car as a DD, but everyone online says that the Volvo AWD system is "bulletproof". That's a f**king laugh M8 when the angle gear can go bad in the transfer case, and $1000 worth of Haldex parts goes bad in the rearend. Oh yeah, and the system can't really take more than 300-350ft/lbs of torque before blowing...:rolleyes:

disruption_you-keep-using-that-word_inpost_credit-livememe.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Scored some Modular Performance (eBay specials) 18x8.5s for $100 in Springfield through CL. Guy I bought them from turned out to be a pretty big Volvo guy...had a sweet 850 Turbo all built up. Pretty happy about these wheels as getting both 5x108 pattern AND the right offset is tough for these cars! I'm fighting Focus RS/ST guys for used wheels on CL and FB Marketplace :lol:

EmypqZ3l.jpg

wMWR7Srl.jpg

QdzhmiVl.jpg

I think they’ll look great after it’s lowered. Plan is to clean them up, new tires, and paint the centers gold "Like the Subaru WRX", says my son. If he's happy, I'm happy. :D

• 4 weeks later...

Been a busy November, but slowly plugging away at this thing. It's my son's favorite car, so the plan is to sell the V at some point and keep this as a local runabout until my FL car (Cavalier) dies. All the little mods and delayed maintenance I'm getting this thing caught up on makes this car a little more fun to drive every time.

TIMING BELT: Got an Aisin WP, TB kit and serpentine belt kit. Old Volvo WP had "4/12" cast on the body so this '05 had it done at some point. Surprisingly straightforward - dare I say easy? - timing belt job. Happy with how it all came together. Runs perfectly.

k5ZBwQ2l.jpg

BRAKES: Did 4 new rotors and ceramic pads, as well as a full fluid flush. Lookit these old rotors...I've never seen anything so bad. No wonder it didn't stop worth shite. :lol:

DGdMBBvl.jpg

The parking brake shoe pads inside the rear rotor hats totally seperated from their brake shoes when I replaced the rears. Didn't think anything of it until I test-drove it and bedded the brakes...and came back to the sound of metal-on-metal scraping. Took the rear rotors off and just gutted the emergency brake hardware, wire-tied the e-cable assembly to a cast boss on the hubs. No parasitic dragging now! Would worry more about not having e-brakes if it was a stick, but with an automatic you almost always use the parking pall so I figure we're good. Rockauto has all new hardware if I need to rebuild the parking brakes on this thing.

Next up will be Trans fluid change with Mobil JWS 3309, then PCV system service and the engine will be tip-top. Trans fluid is brown, not burnt-smelling thankfully...the car sat for at least a few months so I'm sure it's really old. Waiting for Amazon deliveries any day now!

9Oa6skal.jpg

Will still need to service the Haldex AWD system (rear diff filter/fluid) as well but also treating it to a heavier-duty Turbo Control Valve (TCV) and a beefier wastegate spring...