C10 Turbo 5.3 "build"

cruizin01

I figured Id cross post this here for anyone that cares since Ill be posting in on the other truck forum Im part of.

The build up and to this point is posted here for anyone that cares to look.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=744443

This summer I was able to put nearly 1k miles on the truck and after quite a few alternations to the tuning on the Sniper, the 396 was running pretty well. I continue to fight some small pre-warm up drive-ability stuff but overall it drives great.

But.... its slow... like not 250ci inline 6 slow but its the slowest thing in my small group of cars. It'll power brake a burnout but its pretty lethargic outside of that. Its probably around 350hp maybe? It really needs a converter but I didn't want to buy one knowing it still wasn't gonna satisfy my power craving.

Anyway, I decided to follow the hurd and build a turbo LS. I found a L33 locally for $700 with low'ish miles this summer so I went ahead and grabbed it. The L33 is an all aluminum 5.3 with flat top pistons and 799 heads. Originally rated at 310hp. This is a gen3 engine but a few guys mentioned they have the better rods maybe? Im not certain.

tMCZ5Cml.jpg

These past couple weeks I tore the accessories, etc off of it to get started. I flipped the manifolds just to get an idea whether I wanted to use them or buy a turbo manifold. Im not certain one way or another yet.

0tnbJj2l.jpg

This is a "budget" engine build. Im just swapping the cam and valve springs and leaving everything else internally stock. Lifters probably would have been a good idea but I didn't want to pull the heads.

I order a Summit Stg2 turbo cam kit that came with TF valve springs and new valve seals. I checked the pushrod length which was good, so I reinstalled the stockers.

eLKoE3hl.jpg

92hQilVl.jpg

LI3yX3Zl.jpg

a8U2RmNl.jpg

Since I dont have access to a TIG, I ordered a front cover with the turbo drain installed already. I have a new balancer coming (cheap) and replaced the front and rear cover, rear main seal, valley cover and lower oil pan gasket.

gItAbzJl.jpg

45lkc6Ql.jpg

I hate the look of the truck intake manifold so I found these knock off of a knock off dorman intake. Im gonna shave most of the mounts, etc off the top to try and clean it up some. I bought some fuel rails to plumb a return system and a mechanical throttle to work with the Holley Terminator.

zjpORLPl.jpg

Im still in process of cleaning up the rest of the engine. I think Ill leave the block and heads alone after cleaning and maybe just paint the valve covers and accessories. I ordered a camaro water pump which moves the outlet towards the drivers side so I dont have to run a big ugly hose across the front of the truck.

Im hoping the rest of the build will come together this winter. I need to pull the bbc and the sniper and try and get it sold to fund some more turbo parts.

The goal is like 500-550 whp on pump gas.

The basics are

-VS 78/75

-80 lb snaker eaters

-budget 80e converter

-Holley Terminator X

-A/W intercooler so i dont have to hack up the front grille, etc.

Ill update this post as I go along if there's any interest.

Edited by cruizin01

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha someone beat me to it - one of my potential next projects after the 944 is a turbo 4.8 or 5.3 truck of some kind with basically that exact parts list minus a couple things. Looks awesome! The second gen VS Racing 78/75 makes a lot more power than the first gen, I think you are going to pass your target for sure!

If you don't want to spend $1200 on a TermiX with trans control, which it is 100% worth it if you do, you can get a $280 Chinese standalone harness off of Alibaba for stock ECU. They work great. Then you can either tune with LSDroid or HPTwizzlers.

Ha someone beat me to it - one of my potential next projects after the 944 is a turbo 4.8 or 5.3 truck of some kind with basically that exact parts list minus a couple things. Looks awesome! The second gen VS Racing 78/75 makes a lot more power than the first gen, I think you are going to pass your target for sure!

If you don't want to spend $1200 on a TermiX with trans control, which it is 100% worth it if you do, you can get a $280 Chinese standalone harness off of Alibaba for stock ECU. They work great. Then you can either tune with LSDroid or HPTwizzlers.

Im thinking about saving a couple hundred bucks and going with the regular billet 7875. It will support more power than what I need. I dont think it will have any advantage under 600hp.

I also already have a trans controller so I think Ill keep it and get the holley without trans control. Im pretty set on using the holley as the software is same as I use with the sniper and Ive already learned my way through most of it. Ive never used HPT so I prefer to use what I already know and like.

Got the balancer installed. I got the torque angle on the new bolt pretty darn close. I was worried about pulling the engine over on the stand..

uBuseQJl.jpg

I hacked away at all the extra stuff on the intake I didn't need. This was after I rough cut everything. I did sand it mostly smooth. I should have spent a little more time sanding off my grinding marks but it looks fine for this build.

zVzSTi0l.jpg

Spent some time cleaning and painting all the accessories and hardware, etc.

8XncStbl.jpg

I painted the intake, valve covers and throttle body to match.

0MGQK60l.jpg

Got most of the accessory drive stuff mounted. I realized I need a camaro tensioner to work with the wp so I ordered that. I decided to order a new ps pump as mine was severely corroded.

eBay fuel rails and Snake Eater Performance 80lb injectors installed.

Im pretty happy with how the motor looks. Doesn't look new but a vast improvement over the wait it looked when I got it.

VcFYazGh.jpg

GFCwTy6h.jpg

Pretty close to being ready to pull the engine from the truck so I can get this sat in place. I drove the truck yesterday maybe for the last time with the current setup. Ill post more in the coming weeks.

Not too much to note this week.

I got the new p/s pump and belt tensioner installed. Belt I had was a bit too short so I had to order another one.

I moved it over to my main garage so I can try and weld some nuts onto the broken exhaust studs to get them out.

DONT ever try and move an engine on a stand across the yard.. It does't roll...lol

I think at this point Ill start removing pieces and parts from engine in the truck. Ill have to remove the hood which Id rather not do but I dont have a choice. I need to order the new mounts and probably the torque converter for now to be able to get the 5.3 bolted in.

dmVHXodh.jpg

Spent a few minutes last night trying to remove the broken exhaust studs. Worked out awesome. About 20 minutes to remove both broken studs. The 2nd one (not shown) I was worried about because it was broken off flush with the head. Luckily, the weld stuck to the washer.

hA0E5Wal.jpg

FmSWZV9l.jpg

KThhUu2l.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind words guys.

More minimal progress this week.

I installed the MAP sensor in the back of the intake. It didn't fit in the hole nor did the mounting tab fit correct. So I opened up the hole and hacked off the tab and bolted it in place.

dpoxmKXl.jpg

The IAT sensor I decided to use the... evap hole? So I shaved the sensor down and siliconed it in place with a hammer. Hope it doesn't rocket out under boost.

EJc8BA4l.jpg

Probably the last picture of this engine in this truck.

QUJNl1hl.jpg

I spent an hour or two taking the front end apart. I think I can remove the rad support and remove the engine that way. Versus removing the hood and still fighting the engine and trans out of the truck.

LvPolCyl.jpg

I have a guy supposedly coming to look at the engine today from Grove City. If not I have a guy in Wyoming wanting to buy it. I'd just prefer to sell it locally if I can. Save me the shipping hassle.

Received payment for the BBC with all the accessories this week. The guy is in Wyoming so Ill to ship it, which sorta sucks but he paid asking price plus my time to crate and the shipping of it.

I have it ready to pull except for the trans mount and driveshaft. I labeled all the Holley parts so it should be a pretty simple install for him in his K30.

ByYnDCml.jpg

I went ahead and ordered the majority of all the parts for the rest of the build. Sans the VS racing stuff. Still waiting to see if they do a BF sale for the WG and BOV. The turbo is already 10% off.

I received my turbo manifold last night so I hung it just to see how it looks. The casting is a little rough so I need to clean it a bit. Im pretty happy with it for $250. Im hoping I can have someone help me weld a wastegate flange to it without any problems.

I ordered a Holley DS manifold so I can work on getting my crossover built once I swap the trans over. I did order a converter from a shop out of Chicago. Its a budget converter that some Sloppy guys have used with success. Should be perfectly fine for street use. Looking forward to getting this mounted in the truck so I can start plumbing.

WXijvkAl.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I got the big block pulled last weekend and transported to work. I had a friend with a fedex engine pallet so I snagged that and got it crated down. It should be picked up today and headed off to WY. I dont plan on having any regrets selling it.

3pk5RBJl.jpg

My VSRacing 7875 came in last night. Its just their gen1 billet wheel unit. For $500 it should be plenty for what Im doing. Its pretty compact as well. Im considering researching painting the cold side black.. Not sure how feasible that is. I also got my Tejas engine mounts and a few other nick nacks.

I hope this weekend I can put the new torque converter in and bolt the 80e to the engine so I can work on building a crossover pipe.

FxOoKdQl.jpg

Have a good weekend everyone.

Edited by cruizin01

I can tell you from experience, no paint hold up on a turbo kit. Coating it, is the only way to go.

You can wrap it, but mine always rusted when I did that.

Also, you can put the wastegate in the crossover if you dont want to cut the manifold.

I can tell you from experience, no paint hold up on a turbo kit. Coating it, is the only way to go.

You can wrap it, but mine always rusted when I did that.

Also, you can put the wastegate in the crossover if you dont want to cut the manifold.

Yeah I figure Ill forgo that for now. Maybe do it after the fact if the look bothers me. I only plan to wrap the crossover pipe.

And yeah I'm leaning towards putting the wg in the crossover. The turbo manifold is cast iron so its not something I can really do myself so I'd have to pay someone. From what I read it will work fine on my mild setup. And it will be easier to plumb for me.

Spent most of yesterday in the garage on the truck. Didn't get nearly as much done as I had hoped.

My goal was to bolt the trans up to the engine so I could work on building the crossover pipe. I didn't even think about whether there would be an issue with the flexplate, etc with the new torque converter and transmission. Come to find out the ls flexplate that was on the engine was just a 3 bolt. And to mount the 4l80e you need to space it rearward. So I researched around and found out that Advance carries the correct setup. And its only $60. So I hopped in the car and ran down to the nearest store that carried it.

c2zt5eQl.jpg

knwCvAxl.jpg

A comparison of the original converter to the new one. About half the weight it seemed. I hope it works decent. Ive never had anything with an upgraded converter so Im not sure what to expect...

jfAcJODl.jpg

Anyway so I had nearly a .25" gap between the converter and the flexplate when the trans was bolted up. Everything I read says you want roughly an .125". Ugh. So Jegs sells some spacers so I ran over there. I didn't really have any washers thick enough and I need 6 of the same.

Anyway so its bolted together now. A pretty big pain to do by yourself.

ytBWiFJl.jpg

I test fit the turbo supply line and mounted the dakota digital sender. I guess I should have checked whether the holley has an oil sensor or not. I dont think it does.

Xjw3xAWl.jpg

I spray bombed the Tejas engine mounts and bolted them up.

QNZsNWal.jpg

Worked on making up the turbo oil drain. At first I didnt think the timing cover location was going to work. After massaging the fitting a bit it clears the belts fine and fits up to the turbo with no issues. I hope it drains well enough. Its a -10 line so..

pGq0P7Cl.jpg

My next goal is to build the crossover so I can get the engine and trans shoved in the truck. Hopefully this week/weekend.

Spent a couple hours in the garage last night working on the crossover. I forgot the challenge associated with exhaust tubing when you dont really know what your doing and don't do it often. It didn't turn out half bad though.

I had been wanting a cold saw to replace my junky abrasive saw. I kept my eye on amazon and found a "used" one for $160. It was brand new just missing the original box. Its super slick. Like freaking awesome! It cuts this exhaust tubing like a hot knife through butter. No/minimal sparks and just tears through it like nothing. Such a nice tool. I do wish you could adjust the fence a little more quickly but Ill take what I can get for the price.

P8IKOTWl.jpg

Anyway, just a couple pics of the crossover. Its 2-1/4 tubing adapted up to 2-1/2 on the passenger side to meet up with the manifold.

snxodOQl.jpg

sus1MeZl.jpg

F9WM6aBl.jpg

OfBtEaUl.jpg

I cleaned out the pipe the best I could before welding the 2 halves together. Im a bit nervous about anything small metal pieces getting into the turbo so I ordered a metal brush to try and clean it up. I still have to weld the wastegate flange on but Ill wait until its in the truck so I can make sure the location is good. And then Ill wrap it.

I think the engine is ready to go in the trunk now. Maybe this weekend..