C10 Turbo 5.3 "build"

cruizin01

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last night was pretty successful. A good friend came over to try and help me ram this engine and trans in the truck. We immediately realized the hood was going to have to come off to get the hoist far enough back in the truck to get the engine set down. UGH. What a PIA with 2 people to hold, remove the bolts and pick up the hood all in one. We managed without any damage.

The a/c lines I bought are pretty much wedged against the frame so I need to clearance it just a bit. The trans crossmember is now about 2" too far reward so its gonna have to move. Other than that everything seems to fit with no issues. I need to work out lots of little plumbing items but Im excited to get the front end back together so I can plumb all the goodies. Once I get the radiator and fan in I can work out how Im gonna do the air to water setup.

Oh and I have plenty of room to route a downpipe inside the frame rail so thats exciting. I think I can easily do a 3.5" downpipe and make it work with a wg plumbed to the crossover.

XWeZwuWh.jpg

Happy Monday.

I was pretty free this weekend so I spent about 12 hours or so in the garage between Saturday and Sunday. Tons of little stuff that doesn't seem overly productive but has to be done.

My alternator was a 2 wire PWM unit which doesn't work with the Sloppy Mechanics harness I bought to work with the Terminator. It needs the old 4 wire setup. Supposedly the alternator will charge at 13.8 without anything connected but since I bought the harness I wanted it to work correctly. There are a few guys that said they swapped the regulator out for the older 4 pin and it worked fine. So I found one for like $20 and attempted to swap it.

Its not really a direct fit. I had to cut off one a mounting tab and clearance the rear cover but I got it bolted in place. Hopefully it works. There is one small ground pin that didn't meet up where the old one did so Im just crossing my fingers for now.

JVeq710l.jpg

My coldhose.com adapters were sitting against the frame. I should have clearance it before we installed the engine but I didn't know for sure how much room I would have. It was a pain to do with a cut off wheel but I got it handled.

J8SMqYdl.jpg

I tee'd in my steam vent into the heater hose and got them reconnected.

CopqIyRl.jpg

-I reworked and shortened the shift rod as the trans sits about 2" forward of its old position. *forgot pictures*

-I routed and shortened the factory engine harness starter wires and attached them. I did the same with the alternator charging wire and A/C compressor clutch wiring. *forgot pictures*

I went about installing new plugs, LS1 style coils ( not running the heat sync coils with terminator), some wires and heat sleeves. Cylinder 5&7 are gonna need a couple new 90* boots to clear the downpipe.

Pn21CSCl.jpg

I made up a brake booster hose. The old one was 3/8" at the booster but the intake it 1/2" so I used an adapter.

dVMTKM0l.jpg

I started laying out the Holley harness and plugging everything in that I could. Its a nice harness its just significantly thicker, stiffer than my old sniper setup. Obviously there is more connectors and the ECU is a stand alone unit. Everything plugged in as it was supposed to though. Im gonna have to move the fuel pressure sensor though as its up near the throttle for some reason. I need to push the main harness in through the large grommet at the firewall and figure out how to get all the wiring inside the truck. I can't imagine guys using this harness and doing a clean firewall without completing tearing this harness apart and shortening/lengthening everything. Im gonna attempt to just make it as clean as I can without hacking it apart.

9AQ1Oc7l.jpg

About to order some parts to try and attempt a 3.5" downpipe. I figured out roughly where I want the waste gate and should be able to merge it back in. I also decided to rework my fuel system and run -8 PTFE supply and -6 return for the ethanol. Still tons to do but I really enjoy this project so far.

Edited by cruizin01

Merry Xmas Eve everyone.

Had another productive weekend and Monday on the truck.

Mounted the throttle cable inside the cab and to the engine. The cable was a bit too long inside so I cut it and installed a throttle stop and lock tighted the bolt.

ZsjI2knl.jpg

Installed the stock ps hose with the adapter I got to match up with the newer GM pump.

MmTaJv1l.jpg

I swapped out the a/c compressor tensioner as mine was pretty stiff and the belts rides sorta close to the turbo drain so I think its cheap insurance for $20.

HRWgutwl.jpg

I think Ive spent about 25 hours cleaning up and reworking the Holley harness. There were just a bunch of small changes I needed to make for looks purposes, wires I wanted to add etc. I know the engine bay still seems a little cluttered but there is a lot of stuff going on. I also want reasonable access to all of it incase I have any issues or need to add anything. In the end its a driver and not a sema build.

I did add the Matt Happel harness for the alternator and flex fuel. I had to add wires for the boost controller that I got mounted. Im trying a 4 port for whatever reason. lol. I also added a ground wire for the a/c kick input to the holley. I ran a switched wire to the core support for the pump for the a2w setup as well.

uftX5HPl.jpg

LuWJTgml.jpg

On the inside I had way too much harness. Like 2 feet worth. ugh. So I reworked and consolidated as much as I could. I ended up mounting the ecu on the heater box and routing the harness around the dash so that everything was out of the way but still accessible. I dont love it but it works.

TweQYs1l.jpg

0664Zsnl.jpg

yaKdopWl.jpg

All hidden

eTyQtHpl.jpg

Mac valve mounted with a small bracket. Still need to run hoses once the wg is mounted. Im sad I have holes in the firewall from mounting the Sniper stuff.. oh well.

wXQuxcel.jpg

I needed to mount the coolant temp sensor from the Dakota Digital dash and didn't really have any place to install it. The rr corner was blocked by the downpipe. I'd seen guys install them in the waterpump so I gave that a shop. Worked really well. I even used my shop vac in the inlet so suck up the shavings.

6JcdGZ9l.jpg

zibaTBPl.jpg

G7fT5Rxl.jpg

JxB40zHl.jpg

Yesterday I spent the day working on the downpipe and wastegate mounting. Got a lot of it tacked up.

3" to 3.5" from the turbo down with another v-band.

ZIAaOPTl.jpg

djffuEql.jpg

The wastegate mounting

aGPecGgl.jpg

p2znF6al.jpg

MtILeDnl.jpg

juyfRL1l.jpg

This is the last piece of the exhaust puzzle. And its the part Im least happy with. I still need to work it. I ran out of time. I may have to start over. My pipes and angles aren't quite right. I might have to scrap it and start over.

4uWseQkl.jpg

OcjWYIbl.jpg

Happy Monday Gents.

Wife was out of town all weekend so I got to spend another weekend slaving away in the garage.

I started over with the piece of pipe for my wastegate dump and got it looking/fitting better this go.

Kwl3mwFl.jpg

Welded my o2 bung

Ch8snnil.jpg

Made up a new, longer plug wire for the rear bank (cyl7? or 8?)

3QdzMs4l.jpg

cHBtCTml.jpg

My 1st attemp at making a crossover hose with the new PTFE hose and fittings I got... didn't go well at well. The fittings are very tough to get into the PTFE line. Not sure if thats normal or what but I got them but not without a fight.

pTMnomSl.jpg

Finally got it made up.

ZCSoHzxl.jpg

TJLi8kOl.jpg

I went ahead and finished welded all my hot site items. Cleaned them and sprayed them with VHT. I heat wrapped the crossover pipe then sprayed over it again.

My dummy self forgot to put gloves on using that wrap.. Its ITCHY!

YoVrG9Ul.jpg

Had to go to harbor freight for some consumables so I picked up with power strip. So much nicer than the crap I had before.

NlOpyekl.jpg

Core support is back in place with the radiator, battery, etc.

xJ2P9KAl.jpg

New upper and lower hoses installed.

NQpqZD2l.jpg

m27LbWvl.jpg

Last night I fiddled with where to put this big CXRacing intercooler. This seems to be the best spot as far as ease of making the piping work and making up brackets to hold it.

7HswaK5l.jpg

Made up this little right angle bracket that I need to trim, clean and paint yet. It mounts where the washer tank used to be. I may or may not relocate it.

H08IbLgl.jpg

I fabbed up this little support from some flat stock and some 1/8" rod. I just got it tacked last night before coming in. I need to reinforce it and and finish weld it but Im happy how it turned out.

FZu24Xml.jpg

I ordered some 2.5" intercooler pipes. Im waiting on the heat exchanger which will mount above the trans cooler. I ordered aluminum tubing for remaking the trans cooler lines.

Coming along pretty quickly. Its killing my wallet at the moment. SOOO many little things that I cant really do without at this point. oh well.

bf64ypXl.jpg

This truck is fucking boss. Well done so far, sir...

ha. thanks Clay.

My motivation for this part of the project is pretty high. I feel like Im finally at a point where Im able to complete many of the tasks without loads of disappointment that Ive had on previous projects. I think it comes from being able to buy the right parts and tools. And just doing a reasonable amount of research ahead of time.

I wish I could transfer the motivation in this project to other parts of my life. haha. I think if I became wealthy this is what I would do. Just build stuff!

Spent a couple hours on the truck yesterday afternoon. Wife got called into work for some double time so I figured I'd put some work in as well.

I had finished my bracket for the intercooler the other day so I went ahead and spray bombed it along with the intercooler and other bracket. So last night I went ahead and bolted them in place.

hQVRHCkl.jpg

MSbEzQJl.jpg

OSe2f1ql.jpg

I heat wrapped the front half of the downpipe then insulted the lower half. I did this to try and keep as much heat off the evaporator box as possible. We'll see whether it works or not. The insulation gets pretty possitive reviews. It was pretty pricey for how little you get.

hwcqyUZl.jpg

With the downpipe installed I was able to go ahead and install the wastegate and lower exhaust section again. I did weld another vband downstream the wg for the rest of the exhaust system. I did install a muffler and a hanger but forgot to take pics. I dont have any tailpipe at the moment. I may wait and see how loud the truck is before deciding whether I need a full exhaust or not.

sIBQfYWl.jpg

Y8W4pWHl.jpg

INWE9kcl.jpg

Im waiting on some intercooler piping, some air intake parts and the radiator for the a/w so I hope to have some parts this weekend to tinker with. If not Ill probably start on the fuel system. Ill have to flip the truck around in the garage for that so Im hesitating.

more to follow soon.

I love this build.

I follow too many fabricators on social media and expect I can replicate their professional level skills using their professional level tools. :-P

Everyone, regardless of how good they are, posts their best work. Don't compare your everyday items to someone's best work, especially if they are doing it 40-80 hours every single week. Your progress looks great.

You are making some amazing progress! Can't wait to hear/see this thing run!

I love this build.

Everyone, regardless of how good they are, posts their best work. Don't compare your everyday items to someone's best work, especially if they are doing it 40-80 hours every single week. Your progress looks great.

Thanks Gents.

Yeah its tough not being overly critical of yourself. Some makes you want to do better, too much just makes you feel "lesser". Im pretty ok with my work, at least its mine and not someone else's.

Happy cold Thursday gents.

Had a mostly free weekend to piddle with some more parts on the C10.

I finally was able to install the downpipe for hopefully the final time. Its a snug fit with the heat insulation but hopefully it does its job and the a/c box doesn't melt in half.

LXaeTAfl.jpg

I plumbed the vacuum lines from the boost controller down to the wastegate. I used some turbosmart hose along with some 3/8 heat wrap/sock. It was bit of struggle getting it over the hose but I managed.

vYVCHcgl.jpg

fugGasol.jpg

Saturday I started on the task of making up new trans cooler lines. I decided to keep the stock radiator cooler and just add in the air to air cooler up front. I for whatever reason thought the lines were all 3/8" so I bought some aluminum tubing and all the fittings, etc. ( I decided on tubing instead of hose because of how close everything is at the trans/downpipe area)

So I bent up about half the lines at the front of the truck only to realize Im a dumb $hit and the lines are really only 5/16. The cooler used 5/8-20 fittings which is for 3/8" tubing but everything else plumbed for 1/2" fittings. #FAIL

So I ran to jegs to get some 5/16" line. Then to 2 more parts stores looking for 5/16" compression unions and to get a flaring adapter for 5/16" line. Only to end up having to buy a whole kit because no one locally sells just the adapter.... So long story long I wasted most of a day looking for parts. I should learn patience and just worked on something else..

Previously I had fabbed up to little brackets and welded nuts to them for the cooler mounting bolts. I then welded the brackets to the core support.

5D6gyael.jpg

pqCEy7ql.jpg

Mock up of the lines and cooler. (you can see the 3/8" line that I wasted time bending)

EfNHdR8l.jpg

I have the rest of the trans cooler lines bent and in place. I just need to tighten all the fittings and hope they dont leak. I dont love flaring lines..

http://i.imgur.com/qF2AqJ6l.jpg

I purposely mounted the cooler as low as I could so that the air to water radiator could be mounted above it. I found a china bay a/w radiator that would fit almost perfect. I wish it was a bit longer but the height and depth was perfect. Im not overly happy with the quality of the part but as long as it doesn't leak then it'll work.

I actually did mount it upside down because of the mounting brackets. Only difference is the drain is at the top which I dont really care about. I fabbed up a couple brackets to hold it in place. Just some right angle, more 1/8" rod and some captive nuts. I spray bombed the trans cooler and the a/w brackets so everything matched up. I put some narrow insulation tape on the backside of the cooler to keep everything from rubbing. Pretty happy with how it turned out. Everything fits behind the hood latch bracket and the grille fits without cutting anything. And I didnt cut a bunch of holes in the rad support for charge piping. Now hopefully it works. lol.

JMtwuDNl.jpg

There was a large hole on the LH side of the core support that I was able to just "punch" out to pass the two 3/4" hoses through to get the water to the pump and intercooler. I cut up a small hose to put around the edge to keep everything happy. I mounted the bosch pump to the rad support with a fuel filter bracket I found on Amazon.

VcVjmifl.jpg

I picked up an inline rad cap assy to use since Im trying not to have an actual water tank. Im hoping the system has enough capacity without one. If not I think I can add one without too much trouble.

RGw61qSl.jpg

I have an elbow, extension and filter for the air intake mocked up. Everything just fits. I think I'll need to modify the "tube" once I get my pcv system in place. I believe it requires a fitting to be mounted.

Eyc68uUl.jpg

Im still mocking up the charge piping. I need to cut a couple of pieces yet. I had to get an extension for the 90* at the throttle (not shown). I dont love how it looks but I think it'll work for now.

KzVhAcCl.jpg

Im out of town next week so I wont have anything to post for a couple weeks maybe. I plan to order the driveshaft, upgraded pinion yolk and slip yolk so I'll have that when I get back.

Got off work a little early yesterday so I knocked out a couple to do's.

I was looking for some way to support the remote rad cap for the a/w. I borrowed one of the chinese intercooler boots and routed the upper rad hose and a/w hose through it. It supports it well and was an easy fix.

8V4qscsl.jpg

Crappy picture but I fitted the last of the 2 trans cooler lines. They go from the frame rail up and over the downpipe and into the trans. Glad to be done with that job. Assuming nothing leaks...

KwMtVBgl.jpg

I started hacking up the intercooler piping to get it fit up. I was looking for a way to make a lip on the ends I cut up to help keep the boots from flying off under boost. I ended up using some spark plug wire crimpers. Not a huge lip but I think itll do the job.

aEaOHSWl.jpg

I got everything mocked up and in place without having to make any new bends, etc. I dont love how the boot at the throttle looks as its gonna require 3 clamps. My only other option would be to have someone weld and extension onto my throttle body so that I dont have to use the boot plus the extension. Not sure thats worth all that.

MBFgNjXl.jpg

jUzeiMBl.jpg

The only thing left on them is to clean them up and install the clamps. I do need to find somebody that'll weld my blow off valve flange to one of the pipes...