C10 Turbo 5.3 "build"

cruizin01

My friends talked me into going to Trails last Wednesday night to make some passes in the C10. I had no idea what the truck would run since my last time out was on traction-less street tires and battling some hardware issues that have since been fixed.

I have the truck setup for 2 step but I just wanted to baby step it to start, so I just foot braked it. My converter is a little tight so it doesn't come up too far before pushing through the brakes.

My first couple passes I was easy on the throttle in 1st, just feeling out the traction. The ET Streets seemed to have plenty of grip. I was averaging low 12's. On my last pass I went WOT as soon as I came off the brake and didn't lose any traction which was pretty awesome. The truck ran a 11.98 @ 113mph. Still only managed a 1.8 60' but Im ok with that. I expect my 12 bolt axles are the weak link in the truck and I dunno how much more traction there is in a long bed truck anyway but we'll probably find out at some point.

Now this time isn't really all that impressive for a turbo LS but Im pretty stoked with it. My intake and exhaust are really restrictive and Im sure that hurts the power. My A2W isn't really setup for sitting around the pits and making back to back pulls. I have it setup to pull some timing when the temps get as warm as they did. The truck is on E85 but I didn't make any changes to take advantage of it as far as lean it out or adding timing. So on 12psi on pump gas timing in a heavy truck I can't be mad. Anyway just thought Id share.

mJmV6LHl.jpg

L6eVN54l.jpg

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's impressive! I like this truck more all the time. It has to be a blast taking that thing down the track. You've done some really good work on it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Thanks guys.

I might be going back in a couple weeks with friends again.

Im thinking Ill pull the air filter and make some adjustments to the tune to take advantage of the E85. I also had too much air in the tires so Ill see if I can leave a little harder on some softer tire pressure.

Im sure there's probably another half second in there without leaning on it too much. Maybe take some ice with me to try and keep the intercooler that sits in the engine bay from reaching 9000 degrees.

I’d bet it’s got a lot more in it if you haven’t tuned for e85. You can really throw the timing at it. I love fast trucks.

A hydroboost brake booster instead of vacuum made a bigger difference in brakes than all other brake mods combined on my turbo truck and I did everything. Brake boosting from a stop was what was effected the most. Mine would just push through once I got to around 6-8 psi.

I’d bet it’s got a lot more in it if you haven’t tuned for e85. You can really throw the timing at it. I love fast trucks.

A hydroboost brake booster instead of vacuum made a bigger difference in brakes than all other brake mods combined on my turbo truck and I did everything. Brake boosting from a stop was what was effected the most. Mine would just push through once I got to around 6-8 psi.

Yeah for sure. I made up some tables in the holley to lean it out under boost and to add timing under boost as well. Im sure that'll put some more pep in it even before adding more boost.

While Im sure the hydroboost would work better, I do have a late model mc and rear disk already. It stops great on the street and Im not looking to change things up just for the track. Ill see how the 2 step does and probably leave it alone with that. But thanks for the tip.

Yeah for sure. I made up some tables in the holley to lean it out under boost and to add timing under boost as well. Im sure that'll put some more pep in it even before adding more boost.

While Im sure the hydroboost would work better, I do have a late model mc and rear disk already. It stops great on the street and Im not looking to change things up just for the track. Ill see how the 2 step does and probably leave it alone with that. But thanks for the tip.

I ran 11.60@115 as a dd and never really wanted to push it to go any faster but I could have. My truck probably had at least 1500 pounds on yours. You could easily make more power. You could have a 10 second truck easy if you wanted to.

Very cool..I had a 95 Lightning with a few mods and the best i ever did was high 14s

You should be ecstatic

Yeah I know, its hard for me to get excited over too much. It is fun putting bus lengths on stock'ish cars and trucks in the other lane. I ran a 5th Camaro with slicks and it wasn't very close. I also ran a 306ci powered ranger with slicks and it fell behind pretty quickly. So thats fun. If you didn't know the times youd never know how much faster you should run. haha.

I ran 11.60@115 as a dd and never really wanted to push it to go any faster but I could have. My truck probably had at least 1500 pounds on yours. You could easily make more power. You could have a 10 second truck easy if you wanted to.

We'll see. A 10.99 would be fun right? ;-)

You should be super proud of what you built. I love seeing you enjoying it and not just being "over it" once the build is done. Gives me hope for my shop, lol.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk